British tourist arrested with cocaine hidden in passport

webfact

Pity for him he had 420 mg of cocaine and not 200 mg. The ministerial regulation from February 2024 that allowed police to not prosecute people found with up to 5 speed tabs, as long as they undergo rehab, also provided the same let out for small quantities of a number of over prohibited substances including cocaine, LSD, opium, ketamine etc that was not widely reported in English language media.  Here an excerpt.  Realistically though this doesn't include the offense of smuggling and it is doubtful that police would ever exercise their discretion to let foreigners off the hook and do rehab instead of being prosecuted for any drug offense, even the regulation doesn't say it only applies to Thai citizens.  Nevertheless I suspect his lawyer would have been able to make an argument on the possession case, if had less than 200 mg, if not the smuggling case. Interestingly cannabis extracts up to 30 grams are on the list, as they are still illegal.

(2) Narcotics of category 2

(a) Cocaine has a net weight of not more than 200 milligrams.

(b) Opium, net weight not exceeding 5,000 milligrams.

(3) Narcotics of category 5

(a) Opium plants or those with other names in the same genus that produce opium or opium alkaloids. Has a net weight of not more than 15,000 milligrams.

(b) Kwai mushrooms or Kwai mushroom plants or other names in the same genus that produce psilocybin or psilocin, with a net weight not exceeding 135,000 milligrams.

(c) Tetrahydrocannabinol (tetrahydrocannabinol or THC) which is an extract from all parts of the cannabis or hemp plant that is a category 5 narcotic with a net weight not exceeding 30,000 milligrams or, in the case of liquid, a net volume not exceeding 30 milliliters.

(4) Psychotropic substances in Category 1

(a) Flualprazolam (fualprazolam) has a quantity not exceeding 5 units or a net weight not exceeding 650 milligrams.

Here is a tip my Military friend told me.  Always, always perform "Operation Clean Sweep" when traveling to any parts of the world.  Stop being lazy.  Pack, then re-pack your suitcases, carry-on bag, wallets, books, etc.  It does not take long to do that.  

This guy clearly was lazy.  Now he is sitting in a hot, sticky prison with people who speak a different language and guards who do not care about you.

Read the book:  The Damage Done.

Enjoy your high!

• Thumbs Up 2

Not a smart move. But i  think that the punishment in Thailand for possession of such ridiculous amounts like this is crazy. In the meantime you can be high as a kite on Marijuana or blind drunk at the wheel and not much will happen....

Not a smart move. But i  think that the punishment in Thailand for possession of such ridiculous amounts like this is crazy. In the meantime you can be high as a kite on Marijuana or blind drunk at the wheel and not much will happen....

23 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

show us a verified instance of that happening in the 40 million entries a year

• Like 1

6 hours ago, watchcat said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Have they?  Like who?

The "Boss" for example.....

Where has it been reported that Vorayuth's cocaine charge was dropped because he used the dental treatment excuse and not because of the statute of limitations which was the actual reason?  

1 minute ago, Angus55 said:

British dont have to go through immigration leaving the UK.

Go to the airline desk..."passport please, thank you, oh, you have dope in it".....😱

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Arkady said:

Pity for him he had 420 mg of cocaine and not 200 mg. The ministerial regulation from February 2024 that allowed police to not prosecute people found with up to 5 speed tabs, as long as they undergo rehab, also provided the same let out for small quantities of a number of over prohibited substances including cocaine, LSD, opium, ketamine etc that was not widely reported in English language media.  Here an excerpt.  Realistically though this doesn't include the offense of smuggling and it is doubtful that police would ever exercise their discretion to let foreigners off the hook and do rehab instead of being prosecuted for any drug offense, even the regulation doesn't say it only applies to Thai citizens.  Nevertheless I suspect his lawyer would have been able to make an argument on the possession case, if had less than 200 mg, if not the smuggling case. Interestingly cannabis extracts up to 30 grams are on the list, as they are still illegal.

(2) Narcotics of category 2

(a) Cocaine has a net weight of not more than 200 milligrams.

(b) Opium, net weight not exceeding 5,000 milligrams.

(3) Narcotics of category 5

(a) Opium plants or those with other names in the same genus that produce opium or opium alkaloids. Has a net weight of not more than 15,000 milligrams.

(b) Kwai mushrooms or Kwai mushroom plants or other names in the same genus that produce psilocybin or psilocin, with a net weight not exceeding 135,000 milligrams.

(c) Tetrahydrocannabinol (tetrahydrocannabinol or THC) which is an extract from all parts of the cannabis or hemp plant that is a category 5 narcotic with a net weight not exceeding 30,000 milligrams or, in the case of liquid, a net volume not exceeding 30 milliliters.

(4) Psychotropic substances in Category 1

(a) Flualprazolam (fualprazolam) has a quantity not exceeding 5 units or a net weight not exceeding 650 milligrams.

Yep, he is over the minimum required for him to get another chance to wake up stop using that awful drug.  He was careless and obviously stupid and lazy.  Hope he  can get his family to pay for an expensive lawyer to help him out.  I think he needs some time in prison to wake up and get his life together.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Angus55 said:

British dont have to go through immigration leaving the UK.

But still have to present a passport to check-in and boarding staff.  I would imagine most staff would have reported him to Border Force had the powder been noticed in London or wherever and he'd have been arrested there and then.

Very occasionally, there might be a sniffer dog at departures, but obviously not when he left. 

• Thumbs Up 2

A well model got 20 years and a 2 million baht fine for the same offence with only 251mg of cocaine 10 years ago but reduced to 15 years and a 1.5 million baht fine because she cooperated.  I think her original sentence w and fine were the maximum possible and there were allegations at the time that someone influential had it in for her. An unpaid fine of 1.5 million, if paid off at the standard rate of a day in prison for every 200 baht would result in another 20 years in prison

This will be a brilliant story to tell down the pub someday.Unfortunately it might be a while.

PS,i have some great stories from when i was the town drunk but none of them can match this.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kinok Farang said:

This will be a brilliant story to tell down the pub someday.Unfortunately it might be a while.

Anyway, I explained to the chief of Phuket immigration and six of his agents that the bag of charlie somehow teleported itself in between the pages of my passport and it could happen to anyone. Oh how we laughed, although for some strange reason, they kept pointing at me.

On 5/4/2024 at 1:02 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

He must be a leading candidate for the Darwinism of the Year Award - handing cocaine to an immigration officer. That really takes a very special kind of stupid. But he certainly looks the part.

To be eligible for the Darwin award... the person must be deceased (to rid the gene pool of his genes). 

• Thanks 1