That heatwave isn't normal

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Stupid response

Now a second stupid response!

Please explain your point of view, if you have one, in detail, if possible!

Edited by scottiejohn

On 5/5/2024 at 2:27 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes.

It's not even close to normal but wondering if this is the new normal. 

Yes, it is not as hot as has been previously recorded in Thailand if you bothered to check the statistics, 2016, for example, so as a "new normal" it is not to be unwelcomed.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 3:08 PM, Dmaxdan said:

But is it a hotter than previous years? Perhaps a little but in my opinion not enough to constantly moan about it. It's called the hot season for a reason.

Hear, hear!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, it is not as hot as has been previously recorded in Thailand if you bothered to check the statistics, 2016, for example, so as a "new normal" it is not to be unwelcomed.

For this long!?!

On 5/5/2024 at 3:33 PM, bkk6060 said:

Yes, global warming everyone should go buy an electric car and stop eating meat.

The problem with electric cars is their weight and lack of range. The infrastructure along the roads here isn't friendly for electric cars. The weight increases road and tire wear, increasing pollution a lot (and increasing the infrastructure costs, eventually increasing taxes).  In countries with snow, the wear is, of course, is no problem during the the snowy months, but frozen batteries don't give any power and refuse to take charge, unless you preheat the battery packs, an energy-intensive procedure, increasing the charging time even further — and inflates electricity costs, of course. But the electricity is cheap in Norway, so why worry+1

But for short-distance travel say shopping a couple of days a week, where you charge from your home outlet (or home charger) that's a very simple life, but try to drive your electric car from Hua Hin to Chiang Mai. I bet it will be a great adventure sitting in your car while it charges from the Tesla charge station, somewhere along the way!

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"That heatwave isn't normal"

For a tropical country, in summer, it is.

No - it is not

For further information, google relentless heat in SE Asia - hundreds of reports from the whole spectre of media worldwide.

Who to believe - a smart aleck? Think not!

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

No - it is not

For further information, google relentless heat in SE Asia - hundreds of reports from the whole spectre of media worldwide.

Is it a climate emergency?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, susanlea said:

33 degrees now, same as yesterday. If anything a degree or 2 cooler than I would expect in early may after 100 years of climate change.

Where are you and what time was the 33??

13 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

No - it is not

Probably more accurate than the "media" of today.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2024 at 5:50 PM, GreasyFingers said:

We have had dry + hot temperatures during the wet season in previous years but not at this time of the year March was fairly normal with a couple of mild storms but April has been too dry. Even though temps are 37-39 during the day we have had only one storm, almost three weeks ago. A couple have passed us by on the other side of the mountain, which is not unusual.

We expect rain every 2-3 days at this time of the year but today i was out with the sprinklers on the front lawn. The new grass that grew after the last storm in now dead.

I live in SE Rayong, since October 13th we have had only two days of rain, my pond is down about one and a half meters, majority of the ponds around me are dry, supposed to start raining tonight.

1 hour ago, traveller101 said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"That heatwave isn't normal"

For a tropical country, in summer, it is.

No - it is not

It has been hotter than this on previous occasions as statistics prove so, yes, believe the official temperature stats that gave me that information or believe the smart alec media.

Apostle of climate change "ecomodernism" with high taxes........the usual fairy tale to commit gains usually......from middle class .

Photovoltaics are another tricky "methods" to commit huge profits from unsuspecting citizens and I will  explain what I mean.

If you want to take official building permit for example 85 sq/m and denote to Athorities that I want to install on the roof photovoltacs then you get building permit not for 85 sq/m but for 100 sq/m.

That of course is not for "green planet" scheme but ......to pay higher real estate taxes not for 85 sq/m but for your "gain" for 100 sq/m.

We can not destroy our planet as well as to save our planet because hydrocarbon mining multinational companies proceeds in new hydrocarbon mining areas in Arctic and in other areas of the earth that caused ice melt which in turn causes the sea water temperature to be warmer which in turn causes in "El Ninio" phenomenon with huge damages and catastrophic consequensies.

The only thing I worry about is Chinese expansionary policy because China have bought back Iran with $400 billions and Iraq with $250 billinons furthermore they want  to lay energy pipelines to supply European States with L.N.G from Iran and petroleum from Iraq and these operations lead to hostile consequensies........

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Surasak said:

If extreme CO2 is the cause of the temperatures rising, why are the not more trees and plants which thrive on CO2? Also, if CO2 is the problem, why is the global population increasing, when high concentrations of CO2 would be deadly to all animal life?

You don't suppose that the climate, plants. and animals might have different thresholds of sensitivity to CO2 levels?

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There's obviously something up with the heat and instead of facing that some people want to make this about partisan politics. Truly pathetic.

May has always been hot in Thailand and this year is not the hottest in my experience. 

16 hours ago, Surasak said:

If extreme CO2 is the cause of the temperatures rising, why are the not more trees and plants which thrive on CO2? Also, if CO2 is the problem, why is the global population increasing, when high concentrations of CO2 would be deadly to all animal life?

IMG_25670429_145110.jpg.9fb207ef7ae7ca18df9507b636ad0882.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2024 at 3:07 PM, anchadian said:

AFrench friend in Bangkok posted a few days ago that he was thankful for the man who invented the air conditioning machine (There is a debate whether in fact it was the American man by the family name of Carrier or not but would not get into that here).... อ่านข่าวต้นฉบับได้ที่ : https://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2024/05/05/opinion-bangkoks-heat-wave-needs-to-be-addressed-now/

If we had needed AC in Britain we would have invented it.

We invented everything else.

• Haha 2

Really terrible in Nakhon Sawan where I have lived for more than 20 years. At least 10 weeks of temperatures around 40c and above. No break for a thunderstorm or2 either. One rain since early November, 6 months. Just about worn out with it.

On 5/5/2024 at 4:33 AM, bkk6060 said:

Yes, global warming everyone should go buy an electric car and stop eating meat.

certainly wouldnt make things worse...but then again people like you will never be satisfied....

your wallet and body would be grateful but thats not the answer u want either...enjoy your day...

19 hours ago, Tord55 said:

The problem with electric cars is their weight and lack of range. The infrastructure along the roads here isn't friendly for electric cars. The weight increases road and tire wear, increasing pollution a lot (and increasing the infrastructure costs, eventually increasing taxes).  In countries with snow, the wear is, of course, is no problem during the the snowy months, but frozen batteries don't give any power and refuse to take charge, unless you preheat the battery packs, an energy-intensive procedure, increasing the charging time even further — and inflates electricity costs, of course. But the electricity is cheap in Norway, so why worry+1

But for short-distance travel say shopping a couple of days a week, where you charge from your home outlet (or home charger) that's a very simple life, but try to drive your electric car from Hua Hin to Chiang Mai. I bet it will be a great adventure sitting in your car while it charges from the Tesla charge station, somewhere along the way!

i dont think the OP is the denating type or wants to hear a voice of reason..they just like to moan all day hoping someone hears them

On 5/5/2024 at 2:34 PM, KhunLA said:

Not sure I'd say it's any worse than previous years.  It has seemed to shifted a bit, I think arriving later and staying till later in the year.  This year and last, as prior, seemed to rain at end of April and definitely by now, first week of May.

Always HOT ... DAMN HOT, till the rains arrive 😎 

Finally, the rains have arrived.  So not so much of a shift, like last year, actually, quite normal, 1st week of May.

Still not seeing any 'Climate Change' especially MMCC ... 

... turn off MSM and y'all will realize the same :coffee1:

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, susanlea said:

33 degrees now, same as yesterday. If anything a degree or 2 cooler than I would expect in early may after 100 years of climate change.

The climate has been changing ever since the Earth was formed