Motorcycle Rider Dies in High-Speed Collision 

webfact

No helmet and flip-flops. Standard riding attire in Thailand when driving a motorcycle at speed on a road with other vehicles traveling at speed. The only way to fly! 

28 minutes ago, kwilco said:

QED - absolutely not and that is the attitude that prevents progress.

Road safety is a public health issue.

the concept of "idiot" or "bad driver" is just plain stupid.

Homun behaviour is pretty much constant the world over - what a good road safety plicyty does is protect people from the vagaries of driving

Some countries are particularly good at doing this - the unfortunate side effect is that drivers from those countries mistakenly thing they should take the credit - they aren't good drivers, they are just proeteted by a good road safety policy and system.

No, not any road safety health protection govt will protect me from stupid driving. 

That's an education issue🙏

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

No, not any road safety health protection govt will protect me from stupid driving. 

That's an education issue🙏

Seriously? You think you can solve THailand's road safety with one single issue??? - you clearly don't understand what I'm talking about - obviously the education bit has missed you out.

Edited by kwilco

Posted (edited)

THe crash seems to have taken place outside a shopping lay-by. there are road-side rot-ken and a lot of people pull up on the hard shoulder here - it looks like tht is what the SUV has done - either that or he pulled over in front of the M/C.

THis piece of road has lots of parking off the road but it doesn't stopp people pulling over on the hard shoulder.

THere is a convenience store there so people stop for snacks of their breakfast take aways.

I think we really need to know what the SUV was doing there and how long it had been there.

Edited by kwilco
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Mission accomplished!

If you look at the photo both vehicles are aligned perfectly to the direction of travel. Why would there be any skid-marks?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yet the XMax has a published top speed of only 140kph?

That's the advertised top speed.

I recall checking out cars in the used lot on Main Street in the early '80's, surprised that a corvette speedometer only went to 85 mph.

Salesman explained government regulation requirement.

Stock could be +/- 10%.   And kids getting their bikes "tuned" can bump it up quite a bit.

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You, not having any hands-on experience of accident investigation in Thailand, are basing that "basically stone age" assertion on what, exactly? 

what do you base that assumption on?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kwilco said:

If you look at the photo both vehicles are aligned perfectly to the direction of travel. Why would there be any skid-marks?

Why skid marks?

Assuming a dude running 150+ kmh in the breakdown lane sees a parked car directly ahead. 

Panic stop.

27 minutes ago, kwilco said:

THe crash seems to have taken place outside a shopping lay-by. there are road-side rot-ken and a lot of people pull up on the hard shoulder here - it looks like tht is what the SUV has done - either that or he pulled over in front of the M/C.

THis piece of road has lots of parking off the road but it doesn't stopp people pulling over on the hard shoulder.

THere is a convenience store there so people stop for snacks of their breakfast take aways.

I think we really need to know what the SUV was doing there and how long it had been there.

It happened here.

image.png.8af23c9c56166131dddd58f6c93ea365.png

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
9 hours ago, webfact said:

The speedometer on the deceased’s motorcycle indicated his speed to be over 160 km per hour

Yet the XMax has a published top speed of only 140kph?

bikes can easily be modified to reach those speeds. a quick youtube search will show you many of them that have been done. 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

leading the police to believe that Phrachan was moving at a high-speed potentially attempting to overtake another vehicle, unaware of the stationary car on the side of the road.

Overtaking or illegal undertaking?  Possibly one of these chaps who enjoys travelling at high speed weaving in and out of traffic and only just makes it through, leading to max thrills and max danger.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Overtaking or illegal undertaking?  Possibly one of these chaps who enjoys travelling at high speed weaving in and out of traffic and only just makes it through, leading to max thrills and max danger.

Car was legally parked on the hard shoulder... I reckon the scoot fella was ripping it up then pulled left to undertake a truck... Whammo 10/10 effort !

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Yamaha sold the Xmax 400 here ?

I thought the biggest engine here was 300.

I thought they were same as forza but apparently not. Thanks.

Edited by stoner

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, stoner said:

i read the article with that information provided. 

so you believe an article on a website claiming a bike was travelling at a speed it is very unlikely to be able to achieve.

I think you ability of critically absorb information is somewhat limited.

Edited by kwilco

4 minutes ago, stoner said:

xmax is a 350 engine. same as the forza. 

I've neever seen a XMAX 350 only 125, 300 and 400 - the point is so WHAT??? - the fact is the maximum speed is unlikely to be 160kph regadless of the dimensions of the displacement and the engibe size has little or no bearing on the causes of the crash.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

some of us here we have the skill set, the awareness, the experience to ride here and enjoy riding the roads of Thailand. 

Maybe but bad things can and do happen on those roads

Edited by BigBruv
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I've neever seen a XMAX 350 only 125, 300 and 400 - the point is so WHAT??? - the fact is the maximum speed is unlikely to be 160kph regadless of the dimensions of the displacement and the engibe size has little or no bearing on the causes of the crash.

Who said engine size was the cause ?

Edited by stoner
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, kwilco said:

so you believe an article on a website claiming a bike was travelling at a speed it is very unlikely to be able to achieve.

I think you ability of critically absorb information is somewhat limited.

Ok if you say so.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Undertaking is not necessarily  illegal - it can be construed as reckless driving.

In that part of the road - I would suggest that the SUV's activity needs to be investigated - was it stationary or just pulling out.? If the bike was going at "high speed" what about the vehicle on is right which doesn't appear to be included in the incident at all. At least they would hve been a witness or did they fail to give way to the bike or were thy travelling even faster than the bike - why didn't they stop? Remembr that traffic on thr left can have priority.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

putre guesswork and lack of road law knowldedge.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

A digital speedometer still working after such a smash....? So the power must have still be on?

The XMAX has an analogue speedometer and it's quite normal for the indicator needle to 'freeze in place' following an accident. They have no 'return to zero' spring. This is commonly used to determine the speed of a vehicle involved in an accident.

Incidentally, before the days of glass cockpits and flight data recorders, this attribute was also used by accident investigators following an airplane crash.

8 hours ago, 2long said:

How can they possibly know he was travelling at 160? Even if the (digital) speedo was showing that, it could be for any reason. I'm confident that this figure was created from assumption due to the damage.

And if the guy's front tyre had as much tread as its rear, there's no hope!

I'm not experienced enough to know how fast he was travelling but I do do know that if he was riding at a reasonable speed the impact would've been a lot less and the rider would still be alive. I live very close to Naklua Road and believe me, after midnight Naklua Road sounds like a motor cycle race track.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Anybody who rides a motorcycle, anywhere in this world, knows that we can die any day we ride.

But most of us don't die because we avoid taking (high) risks.

We obviously can't avoid that some idiot crashes into us etc.

Riding with a bike straight into the back of a parking car can only happen if the rider doesn't pay attention. It is clearly his own fault.

Good that he didn't kill or injure anybody else with his reckless behavior. 

I totally agree but as with everything in Thailand, Thais can't stop showing off even if it cost them their lives. What about the recent trend females having tatts on their faces, irrespective of their age.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

Assuming the bike was a 400 cc top of the range - it would be hard pushed to get up to 160kph.

3 hours ago, kwilco said:

we are talking about a particular m/c in a precise accident not how fast you bike can go.

Aaaah OK - I didn't understand that you were talking about a very precise model, as you were "assuming". Mind you, English isn't my first language, neither is it my second. So I probably have to brush up my reading comprehension skills then.