Remembering your V8 Muscle car........

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Never owned a V8, closest I got was a 6.

I still remember a race between diametrically opposite designs at Sandown race track in Melbourne. A Mini Cooper, and Sir Gawaine Baillie's 7 litre Ford Galaxie V8.

It was actually quite comical. In the corners, the Mini would nip inside the Galaxie with a screaming engine. Then they would get to the long straight. The Mini would be about a third of the way up the straight as the Galaxie driver finished fighting a twanging suspension.

Once he straightened up, there would be a loud deep throbbing sound as the Ford beat the Mini into the next corner, having given a start of about 150 metres on a 491 metre straight.

This went on for about 15 laps.

V8's were great to look at and listen to, but they cornered like a piano on castors.

was that the White Ford Galaxie ?

I had a Holden Calais 2000 VTII with the GenIII 5.7L V8. Good balance of luxury and raw muscle power. Very quiet at low rpm as was designed, so I modified the exhaust. The rumble at the start, the bur-bur(is this a word?) at idle, the thunder when flooring the pedal were memorable. 

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Realistically, old cars are not much of an investment.

Really, it depends on the old car, surely you know that..........🤭

In the UK if you have a car over 25 years old it doesn't need road tax or an MOT test, they can be repaired easily, and parts are usually available.

One can get "club" membership cheap insurance too, my 7lt Pontiac cost less to insure than my run around....Of course, I have been away for many years, and things may have changed...

Try reading up on classic car sales or auctions.....😋

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know where you think I was born, but I can assure you we didn't have cars like that on the streets. 

When I started work in a small company, they described it like that: Drive along that road, and when you see lots of BMW parked in the street then you reached our office.

That was an accurate description, so I parked my BMW near all the other BMW. 

well I grew up (60-70's) in a small town on the E. shore of MD - there were all kinds of muscle cars running around on the streets - had a small track over the MD/DEL line in DEL that raced 'em every week with plenty of crowds there.  Then, throughout the years when I would return, one could still find these in "mint" condition every Friday through Sunday at some parking lot in that area.  Those of course were from he good ol' days.  TImes definitely changed but don't believe the lovers of these vehicles have changed much if they are still around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, transam said:

I guess there are a few older members who messed about with muscle cars in your youth, and maybe still do. But I was thinking about stories from way back when you were tinkering for a better time at the strip at the weekend.

So let's here about your efforts, bring back a few memories. I am not from the USA, but I had V8 Pontiac for 23 years in England, lots of fun and a few tears.............😉

70 GTO Convertible    400/375    Atlantic City ,Daytona Beach  and points in between.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, transam said:

In the UK if you have a car over 25 years old it doesn't need road tax or an MOT test, they can be repaired easily, and parts are usually available.

One can get "club" membership cheap insurance too, my 7lt Pontiac cost less to insure than my run around....Of course, I have been away for many years, and things may have changed...

Yeah they sell for 6 figures routinely.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

It absolutely does, but a popular sixties muscle car in good condition rarely pulls more than $100k in the US. Mint, complete, matching number up th $200K, unless it’s really something special. 

First new car was a 64 1/2  (289 V8 version late in original model year 64) convertible.  Cost was about $3,400 (and gas about 32 cents).  Used in Germany from 68 to 70 and sold there.  Many in Germany really liked it - while I liked the BMW.  BMW family sedans always seemed to be driven full speed while I tried to keep at about 90mph on Autobahns.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

With regards to the market value of these cars.. As mentioned, my 1981 turbo-charged Trans Am has been sitting in my brother's garage for 20+ years. He retired and sold the house. He was a single car guy with a double garage. Currently costing me C$150/month!

I am in the process of listing it on Bring-A-Trailer, one of the largest U.S. online auctions. They disagreed with my requested US$20,000 reserve, said it would get more interest as no reserve. Fingers crossed.

A little story. In the first years I thought I had more than I did.. One late evening, on a basically deserted 4 lane road, there was just me and a then current model Corvette. The light turned green and it was on!

Well, despite traveling WELL over the speed-limit, it was obvious that I was not going to win this impromptu drag race. I lifted off the pedal and conceded defeat. The Corvette continued on at speed. Suddenly, a police cruiser in stealth mode {no flashing lights) passed me going for the Corvette. I had a moment to realize that sometimes winning isn't everything..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Presnock said:

well I grew up (60-70's) in a small town on the E. shore of MD - there were all kinds of muscle cars running around on the streets - had a small track over the MD/DEL line in DEL that raced 'em every week with plenty of crowds there.  Then, throughout the years when I would return, one could still find these in "mint" condition every Friday through Sunday at some parking lot in that area.  Those of course were from he good ol' days.  TImes definitely changed but don't believe the lovers of these vehicles have changed much if they are still around.

Absolutely.........:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, charleskerins said:

70 GTO Convertible    400/375    Atlantic City ,Daytona Beach  and points in between.

Great............:thumbsup:

I flew over for the Daytona 500 in 1995, got 4 tickets off a friend's friend who had a British Bike shop in the USA. Of course, we made a 2/3 week trip of it, that was fun....:clap2:

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

It absolutely does, but a popular sixties muscle car in good condition rarely pulls more than $100k in the US. Mint, complete, matching number up th $200K, unless it’s really something special. 

To me, that is a lot of money, and to an owner that bought it for a few thousand $, it is a windfall....:intheclub:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

spacer.png

My first car wasn't a V8, but it was still quite sporty!   Mine had wire spoke wheels, but otherwise looked a lot like this one.

Before my V8 thing, I had an MGB Roadster, soft top with wire wheels, it was fun...:thumbsup:

55 minutes ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

70 Cuda 440 6 pack

65 Mustang fastback

72 Cutlass convertible 

AMC Gremlin orange with a brown drivers side door

When I bought my Pontiac in 1984, I was just looking for anything in my budget American with a V8. Didn't have a clue what I was buying except for noises and rust.

Looking back, I wish I had found a Mopar, for me an early Cuda, Roadrunner or Charger would have been great.

I bought my 1976 Trans Am as a 455ci, I later found it was a 400ci with a ridiculous high geared rear end, and HP that made me 😥, oh well.

But, a few years on, found, early 400 block, 68 heads, 69 crank, forged alloy rods, 3.90 rear gears and a load of other goodies transformed it into a flying street racer.:clap2:

22 hours ago, transam said:

One of my favourite cars, my friend in the UK had a '69, it was like from the factory, but had a 318 in it, he eventually sourced a 440 +K frame for a bit more go...:clap2:

Couple of "confused" things on this post, what is confusing you, will be pleased to help you.............:clap2:

1 hour ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

70 Cuda 440 6 pack

65 Mustang fastback

72 Cutlass convertible 

AMC Gremlin orange with a brown drivers side door

I would pass all but Cuda in third gear but all very nice cars.

13 minutes ago, transam said:

When I bought my Pontiac in 1984, I was just looking for anything in my budget American with a V8. Didn't have a clue what I was buying except for noises and rust.

Looking back, I wish I had found a Mopar, for me an early Cuda, Roadrunner or Charger would have been great.

I bought my 1976 Trans Am as a 455ci, I later found it was a 400ci with a ridiculous high geared rear end, and HP that made me 😥, oh well.

But, a few years on, found, early 400 block, 68 heads, 69 crank, forged alloy rods, 3.90 rear gears and a load of other goodies transformed it into a flying street racer.:clap2:

road runner awesome car

39 minutes ago, transam said:

Great............:thumbsup:

I flew over for the Daytona 500 in 1995, got 4 tickets off a friend's friend who had a British Bike shop in the USA. Of course, we made a 2/3 week trip of it, that was fun....:clap2:

Yes   bike week is crazy there

2 hours ago, transam said:

To me, that is a lot of money, and to an owner that bought it for a few thousand $, it is a windfall....:intheclub:

Minus at least $1,000 a year, just to keep it. And 95% do not meet the first standard, and 99.99% do not meet the second. 

Having an old muscle car is great if like old muscle cars (I do), but there are a lot better investments. 

My sister in law had an ‘67 Olds 442. She bought it from her older brother when it was a few years old and had it for 45 years, bone stock, full service record and only serviced at Olds until they went tits-up, had all the documentation and whatnot. 

Somebody boosted it a few years ago. 

3 hours ago, Mises said:

1970 Camaro Z28 450hpScan6.thumb.jpg.0c3e082c779d8dbeace1ce1f875149c2.jpg

1967 Camaro 500hp

Camaro.thumb.JPG.2ad96bde940e2d41535e2192c689f5fe.JPG

Not mine but I raced this 65 Mustang

Scan2.thumb.jpg.dd6298d6c106dcc786d3f7dba926df4f.jpg

And this 65 FIA Falcon

It had the least power but was fun to drive

Built by a guy who really knew what he was doing, sadly no longer with us.

104_0497.thumb.JPG.e5ea643b076c2b25d818652405b9e8b5.JPG

A friend of mine used to race Camaro's, he won quite a few trophy's too, though quite a long time ago. His so now races a Trans Am with something like an 8 ltr engine..

On 5/6/2024 at 11:54 AM, transam said:

I guess there are a few older members who messed about with muscle cars in your youth, and maybe still do. But I was thinking about stories from way back when you were tinkering for a better time at the strip at the weekend.

So let's here about your efforts, bring back a few memories. I am not from the USA, but I had V8 Pontiac for 23 years in England, lots of fun and a few tears.............😉

The best description I heard of American V8 muscle cars is ” How to turn money into noise” 😆