Whats the legal age of consent in Thailand. Its confusing.

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Correct.

But, as alluded to by @OneMoreFarang on page 1, between 15 and 18 there's a law that allows the parent's or the individuals, to pursue charges, regardless of consent given.

"In Thailand, sexual encounters with a minor under the age of 18 may be classed as a compoundable offence, even if this was with a person over 15 and with their explicit consent.

To clarify (I hope!), what this means is that a young person having sex with another person aged 15, 16, or 17 may be prosecuted for this “compoundable offence” if one participant (normally the girl), or their parent, were to file charges against the other side when they later decided they regretted what they had done. In effect, this makes the unfettered Thai age of consent to sex to be 18 years of age."

https://www.lannaist.ac.th/keeping-our-teenage-children-safe/

Since the OP's mate has an 18 year-old admirer, all this and most of the previous two pages is mostly wasted bandwidth.

So are you saying that if my mate bangs this 18 yr old theres no issue / risk at all legally?

6 hours ago, george said:

It's a different age in a "prostitution establishment", e g if you pay for sex. 15-18 yo is the confusion.

Section 8: Anyone who has sexual intercourse with or acts otherwise against a person over the age of 15 but under 18 in a prostitution establishment, with or without their consent, will be imprisoned for up to 3 years and fined between 20,000 to 60,000 THB.

So is my mate safe if he consummates the friendship with the 18 yr old when he is aged more than double? No legal issues possible? 

2 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

So is my mate safe if he consummates the friendship with the 18 yr old when he is aged more than double? No legal issues possible? 

I would never say something like "No legal issues possible"

Some women claim 20 years later that 20 years ago they didn't really agree... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Not really. The minimum age for prostitution is 18 in most countries, including Thailand.

As @Liverpool Lou has pointed out, paying for sex in Thailand is not, in itself, illegal but if the provider is under 18, it most definitely is!

I think you missed my point…...in a prostitution establishment…..so in a hotel, no crime??????

31 minutes ago, advancebooking said:
9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I did not leave out anything relevant to the specific question, the legal age of consent in Thailand is 15.  The term 'age of consent' specifically refers to the minimum age at which a person is considered legally competent to provide consent for engaging in sexual acts and that's what he asked about.

Thats not what Im asking at all. Im asking if my friend bangs an 18 year old is he in legal jeopardy. 

Er, read the title of your OP, that is exactly what you asked...

"Whats the legal age of consent in Thailand. Its confusing".

Why should your friend be in  legal jeopardy for banging someone over the age of consent?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Do you genuinely believe that if a man visited a psychologist and said that he finds an 18 year girl attractive that the psychologist would suggest he has a problem, seriously?

No, I was meaning the fact that someone is OK abusing having sex with someone who obviously is only doing it our of financial desperation. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

LiverpoolLou is so convinced that I suggest the following small experiment:

He goes to a hotel to book a room and casually mentions,  that he wants to stay there with his girlfriend for the weekend. "But she cannot book the room, because she is 15. So I must book the room for the two of us."

Hopefully he will have the chance to report back to us here.

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

No, I was meaning the fact that someone is OK abusing having sex with someone who obviously is only doing it our of financial desperation. 

What if the ages are the same, but the girl is in a relationship with an ugly man because he is rich?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

The reason for the German guy being arrested was because he was paying for sex under the legal age for prostitution which I believe is 20 if someone can confirm that 

There is no "legal age for prostitution" because there is no legal prostitution. 

But: it is legal to work as a gogo dancer when you are 18. This is not considered prostitution. 

It is legal to visit a gogo bar or any other night club (e.g. Nana disco or Therme) as a customer when you are 20. You may or may not meet a nice guy there, and he might even give you a present. This is not prostitution. 

If you are a streetworker the police will fine you if you are under 18.

On 5/6/2024 at 10:54 PM, proton said:

Prostitution is completely illegal in Thailand as is pimping and even paying for sex from a sex worker- see the 1996 suppression of prostitution act, I'm not posting it again. That fact that it's rarely acted on does not change the law as it stands

I think its deemed as any form of "inducement"

I had a friend got into trouble with I think a 19yo. Cost him a considerable sum of money too he said. He didn't give much detail, said it was too embarrassing but he claimed legal age of consent aside, there is some archaic law where the legal age of consent is only legal with parents permission until 19 or 20yo. The tricky thing was he claimed that permission could be given, then rescinded later after the fact....so for eg some guy promises he will marry the girl in the future, dowry etc. Then scarpers or changes his mind...the parents can also change their mind on permission and seek restitution. I think its called a "compoundable" offense meaning it's not necessarily a jailable offense, can be sorted out with money / settlement provided all parties are satisfied. All an oxy moron and contradictory but I knew this guy for 30 years and he is not apt to making up stories. Have heard it mention on AN quite a few times also. Not saying it is correct, just my experience

• Thanks 2

On 5/6/2024 at 10:00 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

As far as I know sex is legal.

Prostitution is not legal under 20 - apart from the fact that it is anyhow illegal.

So, whatever it is that draws her to him, make sure it can't be called prostitution.

Personally, I would double check why she is interested. Maybe she has problems with her parents, and she is happy with him. Possible.

But maybe it's a setup to get money maybe sometime later. Be careful! 

Re set ups....I have been here 10 years and never heard one story of a girl, hooker....minor or otherwise setting up a guy for money which surprises me here when every other scam / set up in the book is on the table. I have heard plenty of these stories back home. How easy would it be for some girl to claim you did whatever without consent and demand money given how nasty and resentful they can get...experts at garnering sympathy and telling lies

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kenny202 said:

Re set ups....I have been here 10 years and never heard one story of a girl, hooker....minor or otherwise setting up a guy for money which surprises me here when every other scam / set up in the book is on the table. I have heard plenty of these stories back home. How easy would it be for some girl to claim you did whatever without consent and demand money given how nasty and resentful they can get...experts at garnering sympathy and telling lies

I agree.

Thai prostitutes are surprisingly honest, it's usually a fair deal. 

Set-ups like you described are common in the Philippines and in Cambodia (in Cambodia foreign NGOs are often involved).

In Thailand I have never heard of anything like this.

• Like 1

Good luck to him, irrespective of consent or not. 

Always the same script:
- he has the money, she has the experience and during their relationship that changes to:
- he has the experience and she has the money
As a bonus; if an offspring is the result, then the life insurance bells go off and congrats are in order for the young enterpreneur lady. 

Do your mate a favour and try and talk some common sense to him; he might hate you at the beginning but will love you for the rest of his life! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Good luck to him, irrespective of consent or not. 

Always the same script:
- he has the money, she has the experience and during their relationship that changes to:
- he has the experience and she has the money
As a bonus; if an offspring is the result, then the life insurance bells go off and congrats are in order for the young enterpreneur lady. 

Do your mate a favour and try and talk some common sense to him; he might hate you at the beginning but will love you for the rest of his life! 

BS

Young girls are (relatively) innocent - that's part of the attraction.

Maybe they want an expensive phone or something like that, but they are a lot less likely to have a masterplan how to get all his money compared to older Thai women and also western women.

Life with a cute innocent girl can be wonderful. 

Obviously, you should not make any stupid decision - just like with any life- or business-partner.

What disturbs me is that certain posters always appear on these threads saying there's nothing wrong with old foreign men paying for sex with young Thai girls barely old enough. 

In real life, I stay well way from such types. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

An American language teacher and popular TikTok star who was accused of having sex with a 16-year-old Bangkok girl was arrested by authorities late Sunday morning.

He faces up to 10 years in prison and fines of up to THB20,000.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/tiktok-teacher-luke-rockwell-arrested-after-sex-with-16-year-old/

This was a case of something like the parents withdrawing consent after the guy gave the girl an STI.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 9:33 PM, advancebooking said:

A mate of mine is aged in 40s.

That probably means you are nearer 50. :cheesy:

How old exactly? 

My 18 y/o daughter told me recently that 25 year old men are too old. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

An American language teacher and popular TikTok star who was accused of having sex with a 16-year-old Bangkok girl was arrested by authorities late Sunday morning.

He faces up to 10 years in prison and fines of up to THB20,000.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/tiktok-teacher-luke-rockwell-arrested-after-sex-with-16-year-old/

From that article: "Rockwell admitted to the allegations levied against him including having sex with a minor and filming the sexual encounter."

He seems to be real smart. But then, he is a TikToker - what should we expect. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

This was a case of something like the parents withdrawing consent after the guy gave the girl an STI.

What is an STI?