Ex-President Faces Jail Threat for Repeated Gag Order Violations

image.png

Former US President Donald Trump has once again found himself in legal jeopardy as he was held in contempt of court for the 10th time in his hush-money trial in New York. Justice Juan Merchan, presiding over the trial, issued a stern warning to Mr. Trump, stating that further violations of the gag order could result in jail time.

The judge emphasized the importance of upholding the dignity of the judicial system and expressed his frustration at Mr. Trump's repeated defiance of the gag order. This latest ruling marks the second time that Mr. Trump has been found in contempt for violating the gag order, with previous fines failing to serve as a deterrent.

In response to Mr. Trump's repeated violations, Justice Merchan warned that the court may have to consider imposing a jail sanction in order to enforce compliance. While acknowledging the disruptive nature of incarcerating a former president, the judge emphasized that such actions were necessary to uphold the rule of law.

Mr. Trump, who has pleaded not guilty to charges of falsifying business records, remained defiant in the face of the court's warning. He characterized the gag order as "disgraceful" and reiterated his commitment to defending the Constitution, despite the potential threat of jail time.

Prosecutors argued that Mr. Trump's social media posts, in which he criticized the jury selection process, violated the gag order by undermining the integrity of the proceedings. Justice Merchan echoed these concerns in his written ruling, highlighting the potential impact of Mr. Trump's statements on the safety of jurors and their loved ones.

In addition to the threat of incarceration, Mr. Trump was ordered to pay a $1,000 fine and remove the offending social media post by a specified deadline. His defense lawyer, Todd Blanche, has defended Mr. Trump's actions, arguing that the gag order is unjust.

As the trial enters its third week, tensions continue to escalate between Mr. Trump and the judicial system. The outcome of this high-profile case remains uncertain, but one thing is clear: the former president's repeated violations of the gag order have put him on a collision course with the law.

2024-05-07

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Social Media said:

Justice Juan Merchan, presiding over the trial, issued a stern warning to Mr. Trump, stating that further violations of the gag order could result in jail time.

Yeah, just do it then, but don't complain at the consequences if you do.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

That's the problem when you threaten with something you really don't want to do.

I'm sure the judge knows what will happen if he does and is EXTREMELY reluctant to do it. If he does it's likely to be house arrest, but good luck stopping Trump speaking to his base.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Please your honor. Lock the huge creep up. The world would celebrate and be overjoyed that he finally got some time in the slammer. He has been working his whole career toward this end. He richly deserves it. 

You have vivid day dreams, LOL.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 2

As the trial enters its third week, tensions continue to escalate between Mr. Trump and the judicial system. The outcome of this high-profile case remains uncertain, but one thing is clear: the former president's repeated violations of the gag order have put him on a collision course with the law.

A battle of wills and Trump has a lot more supporters than the judge does. Should be very entertaining as it goes on.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 4

In response to Mr. Trump's repeated violations, Justice Merchan warned that the court may have to consider imposing a jail sanction in order to enforce compliance. While acknowledging the disruptive nature of incarcerating a former president, the judge emphasized that such actions were necessary to uphold the rule of law.

The only thing likely to happen, IMO, is that Trump will use the incarceration to enrage his supporters, and as a club to beat the Biden campaign with.

The judge may come to regret being the one that got the case- damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, TorquayFan said:

But Judge Merchan is aware that jailing Trump may trigger delays in the progress of the trial due to Appeals

That could be the very reason that Trump is continuing to annoy the judge. IMO his election strategy is to delay all his court cases as long as possible while he uses them to motivate his base and potential voters. Perhaps he laid a trap for the judge with his refusal to stay silent and the judge has fallen in to it. If the judge does not jail him he will look weak, and if he does, there will likely be unpleasant consequences.

Biden must be concerned as the plan to eliminate Trump by a multitude of court cases during the election campaign is backfiring and only making Trump more popular. Who would have guessed?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've told you TEN times - don't do it again, or else. Meanwhile, he continues to ignore and make a mockery of the law and the court.

That is what he does and who he is. He respects nothing and nobody. Except himself. Maybe. All that self congratulatory blather may simply be a cover-up for alot of self loathing. It would make sense. But, who am I trying to apply reason to this very strange man?

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

There are interesting comments on Trump and his 10 contempts of Court - most observers are questioning why Trump has so far, avoided a night in jail, (or more).

Is Trump above the Law ? Well in effect, so far, in respect of these contempts, yes he is. But Judge Merchan is aware that jailing Trump may trigger delays in the progress of the trial due to Appeals and there will be the difficulty of maintaining Trump's Secret Service protection.

It's plainly ridiculous for Trump to claim he's been 'gagged' - he is simply restrained from attacking witnesses and jurors and their Families and in my opinion, the order should now be extended to cover the abuse of the Judges themselves - (not least this - Trump yesterday branded Special Prosecutor Jack Smith as a 'thick, evil, deranged thug')

I think it fair to agree that the USA is NOW in a major battle to reinforce not only the Rule of Law but also Democracy itself - in my opinion this summary is well worth a long view : https://youtu.be/ZUQGkKmisik

God bless America !

The video is interesting and I noticed the examples of criminality referred to Trump, Nixon and Agnew only - three Republicans.

My question is, why are the people being slandered not suing Trump for defamation? After all, the evidence is on TV every day.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That would apply to Trump more than the court. 

It may even give him a dose or what the real world is like.

I save my sympathy for his Secret Service bodyguards.

Will they become his nappy/diaper changers?

If so I feel really sorry for them!

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Purdey said:

The video is interesting and I noticed the examples of criminality referred to Trump, Nixon and Agnew only - three Republicans.

My question is, why are the people being slandered not suing Trump for defamation? After all, the evidence is on TV every day.

He is not slandering people, he is threatening them.