Thai EV Market Remains Unfazed by European Sales Downturn

webfact

14 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Would you mind if I accept US Gov’t statistics rather than your fanciful interpretation.

Data from the National Transportation Safety Board showed that EVs were involved in approximately 25 fires for every 100,000 sold. Comparatively, approximately 1,530 gasoline-powered vehicles and 3,475 hybrid vehicles were involved in fires for every 100,000 sold.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/environment-energy-coordination/climate-matters/EV-less-fire-risk#:~:text=Data from the National Transportation,fires for every 100%2C000 sold.

IMG_0875.jpeg

Actually, let me do the math for you.

Hybrid sales = 16,052/3,474 x 100,000 = 462,061

ICE sales = 13,041,372

EV sales = 207,171

The math is simple, but totally ignores that there are few EV on the road and zero really old EVs.

11 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Fires per billion miles is the only true number.

Not the only true number, I prefer to take the government’s statistics over Elon Musk.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Not the only true number, I prefer to take the government’s statistics over Elon Musk.

You really don't understand it or are you blinded by EV propaganda?

Anyway the FactCheck patrol 🚓 note you share fake information. 

Just to quote some more from the links within JBChiangRai's post above.  

https://www.autoinsuranceez.com/gas-vs-electric-car-fires/

Statistics for Gasoline vs. Electric Car Fires

Are electric cars more likely to catch fire? To determine whether gas or electric cars are at a greater risk of catching fire, our team of researchers dived into data from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS), and government recall data from Recalls.gov.

Below is what our researchers found for electric car fire statistics and recalls by vehicle type.

Fires by Vehicle Type

You’re more likely to see a gas car fire after a collision than an electric car fire, simply because electric vehicles aren’t as common on the roads as gas vehicles. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean that electric vehicles are less likely to catch fire.

To find the rate of car fires by vehicle type, we collected the latest data on car fires from the NTSB and calculated the rate of fires from sales data from the BTS. Take a look at what we found below.

Hybrid, gas, and electric car fire statistics

Hybrid vehicles actually come in number one with the most fires per 100K sales. Gas vehicles are second, and electric vehicles place third, with only 25 fires per 100K electric vehicle sales.

Based on this data, electric vehicles don’t catch fire nearly as much as the news claims. Hybrid cars seem to be the most dangerous for fires, followed by gas vehicles.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2024 at 8:59 AM, JBChiangRai said:

That vehicle exploding was a movie stunt scene.  Sterzel (sepentza) has no credibility and has had many of his facts overturned as fake.  Don't believe YouTube!

There was no fire, that was an air conditioning system leak due to a short circuit, what you could see was white fumes, at no point did anything catch fire and it happened in the part of the car shared with ordinary ICE vehicles.

Yes, the footage in that video is fake.  

The statistics are clear, EV's are between 13 and 140 times less likely to catch fire than an ICE.

Do electric cars pose a greater fire risk than petrol or diesel vehicles? | Automotive industry | The Guardian

That isn't a like for like comparison. The vast majority of electric cars are new and must be compared to similar age petrol and diesel vehicles. Old ice vehicles have a higher risk of catching fire due to age (poor electrics), and lack of maintenance. 

Screenshot_20240512_045435_Chrome.thumb.jpg.db7fa306b9a842d50dbb79da8714f6db.jpg

10 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

What has Elmo to do with tracking fires/billion miles?

By the way, below it a quote from Tesla in the Guardian article YOU shared, so you quote Elmo, but you don't trust him or you don't know?

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

We can only take Government Official Numbers, we can't take numbers issued by a manufacturer in preference, nor is someone posting on reddit any kind of credible source.  We are getting similar numbers (within a range of magnitude) from all sources, Tesla, US Government, Swedish Government, we can take the average of all 3 if you prefer, that would be 11, 13 & 25 that would be 16.

I have noticed a consistent theme from 2 of the regular posters, when they don't like the numbers they start inventing things like dealer margins or new statistics like billions of miles covered which only covers one manufacturer who had a problem with early battery packs until they modified the cooling system.

Regurgitating any fake or misleading numbers, basically lower the posters to the same level at that South African lunatic sharing movie stunts.

The AutoinsuranceEZ numbers have zero credibility and you should be man enough to acknowledge that fact.

That some county level government copy the data, just show how fast and wide fake information can travel.

×16 is within range a credible number and to be honest, EV owners should be proud of it. 

There is absolutely no need to push the x100 agenda and fake narrative. 

Good morning, by the way.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Wow, you are really clutching at straws now.  Saying people on here who have expensive EVs don't really exist? Some people prefer to wear their wealth in silence. Others like to brag they have BMWs and put "performance" stickers on them.

My neighbour has a 520d but scraped that off and put an M5 badge on it. Maybe it is something with BMWs and screaming for attention....

My friend bought a second hand white BMW 520d, that too had an M5 badge on it, it must be something peculiar to BMW owners.  I prefer to take badges off cars, I think badges are like spectacles, none of them improve the appearance of the wearer.  I think I took 4 off the MG4 and 2 off the BYD Seal.

10 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

uk car dealers dont want to stock them as prices fall too much while theyre in stock ,which can be a long time and there hard to sell

The UK is completely messed up their EV strategy.  They don't have enough chargers and they are not where they are needed.  Two of the UK's busiest motorways, the M1 & M6 don't have more than a handful of fast chargers at the Motorway Service Stations.  They need a high voltage supply and dedicated transformers and nobody wants to pay for them.

I can get in my EV in Chaing Rai and drive to Bangkok without a second thought because there are fast chargers every 30km.  In the UK the services can be as much as 150km apart and when you get there perhaps only a dozen chargers.

However, if I lived in the UK, I would certainly be taking advantage of the market and buying an expensive second-hand EV for peanuts.

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Regurgitating any fake or misleading numbers, basically lower the posters to the same level at that South African lunatic sharing movie stunts.

The AutoinsuranceEZ numbers have zero credibility and you should be man enough to acknowledge that fact.

That some county level government copy the data, just show how fast and wide fake information can travel.

×16 is within range a credible number and to be honest, EV owners should be proud of it. 

There is absolutely no need to push the x100 agenda and fake narrative. 

Good morning, by the way.

I would happily acknowledge that if it were true, you have produced no evidence that it is, only a reddit post.

You may as well quote a number from a man in a pub.

And a very good morning to you too.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

new statistics like billions of miles covered which only covers one manufacturer who had a problem with early battery packs until they modified the cooling system.

Scrap the word "new", but this is a good point.

The reason being is that Tesla fires are the only credible data available. The statistics information about 7 fires/day coming out of China is just garbage. 

It would be VERY interesting to get reliable data on Chinese made EV, but so far we have seen nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

I would happily acknowledge that if it were true, you have produced no evidence that it is, only a reddit post.

You may as well quote a number from a man in a pub.

And a very good morning to you too.

As you earlier said to @vinny41, any poster can call BS, it is your responsibility to back up your (fake) data.

The Reddit post is a pretty good investigation. 👍 

20 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

As you earlier said to @vinny41, any poster can call BS, it is your responsibility to back up your (fake) data.

The Reddit post is a pretty good investigation. 👍 

I backed it up with government statistics, links were posted.

Reddit is nonsense, anyone can post.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I backed it up with government statistics, links were posted.

Reddit is nonsense, anyone can post.

In that case you have just lowered yourself to the level of the crazy 🤪 South African. 

This time the FactCheck patrol 🚓 called you out for the world to see.

9 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

In that case you have just lowered yourself to the level of the crazy 🤪 South African. 

This time the FactCheck patrol 🚓 called you out for the world to see.

Anyone else hearing an echo here?

Take your self-appointed FactCheck patrol up with the Swedish & US Governments

6 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You mean statistically?

We already had our first EV fire 🔥  with the Ratchaburi roll over.

Any more I have missed?

Not really, to be meaningful it needs to be whilst stationary, charging or driving.  Anything will burn in a bad accident.

Which makes me wonder, do other statistics for fires include accidents? It's kind of nonsense if they do.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

Anyone else hearing an echo here?

Take your self-appointed FactCheck patrol up with the Swedish & US Governments

Not really, to be meaningful it needs to be whilst stationary, charging or driving.  Anything will burn in a bad accident.

Which makes me wonder, do other statistics for fires include accidents? It's kind of nonsense if they do.

ICEV fire data 🔥 include accidents, arson, insurance fraud, smoking, vandalism,  technical faults, anything under the sun. The same should be the case for EV fires.

Have you joined the harvest season on the Surin cherry 🍒 farm?

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

No, I don't want to give you any competition, you're the champ there.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

ICEV fire data 🔥 include accidents, arson, insurance fraud, smoking, vandalism,  technical faults, anything under the sun. The same should be the case for EV fires.

The stability & safety of the newer batteries vs low flash point, volatile fuel ... nuff said

Not really much to think about is there ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

The stability & safety of the newer batteries vs low flash point, volatile fuel ... nuff said

Not really much to think about is there ?

SeñorLA we agree 👍, again.

From a fire point of view, EV are x11 safer than ICE.

Sadly, we only have Tesla data, it would be nice if we had any data from the newer and supposedly better Chinese brands.

Please share if you find any credible data.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

SeñorLA we agree 👍, again.

From a fire point of view, EV are x11 safer than ICE.

Sadly, we only have Tesla data, it would be nice if we had any data from the newer and supposedly better Chinese brands.

Please share if you find any credible data.

They're sticking nails in them when testing, along exposing them to extreme temps, both hot & cold.   That's enough for me.   At worse, gives me a reason to upgrade ... :coffee1:

And these are old batteries ...

Edited by KhunLA

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

They're sticking nails in them when testing, along exposing them to extreme temps, both hot & cold.   That's enough for me.   At worse, gives me a reason to upgrade ... :coffee1:

And these are old batteries ...

That is all fine and cute, but we need reliable statistical information.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That is all fine and cute, but we need reliable statistical information.

I'm not part of the 'we' folks.   No EV (personal car) fires in TH, much noting, or we'd read about in 10 new threads.  New LFPs been out for a while, so no worries.  Not even any fires from the old tech batteries in TH, and they've been here ever since 2018, at least.

I've haven't even had one of my RC toys flame up, and I abuse the hell out of them.   

Didn't worry about my ICEV catching fire either, although my brother's MGB did have the carb flame up & crap out.  Once again I was called out to give him a tow.

ALL HAIL ...

CH.png

Edited by KhunLA

10 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Wow, you are really clutching at straws now.  Saying people on here who have expensive EVs don't really exist? Some people prefer to wear their wealth in silence. Others like to brag they have BMWs and put "performance" stickers on them.

My neighbour has a 520d but scraped that off and put an M5 badge on it. Maybe it is something with BMWs and screaming for attention....

My point stands: Thailand is a less mature EV market than places like tge UK, where sales are stalling and resale prices have fallen through the floor. The same will happen in Thailand, once people realise that EVs are only suited to people who have lots of time on their hands or travel locally, like housewives or retirees. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1