Is Vietnam going to be next retirement

3 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

When I was in Vietnam before covid, it was already more expensive than Thailand (except booze and cigarettes of course). Food in supermarkets is easily 50% more expensive. Fish, fruit, juice, milk etc. Clothes, electronics are more expensive too.

We must have been in different Vietnams.

Fruit more expensive in Vietnam 5555.

Clothes, yes.

Electronics no idea. 

Juice, Tipco imported from Thailand, obviously. 

Milk, exactly, the same. 

Maybe when you talk about food, you mean dog or cat food. 

I eat human food, and that is definitely not 50 % more expensive in Vietnam. 

Dog food might be 50 % more expensive, but never bought any in either of those countries. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

Maybe when you talk about food, you mean dog or cat food. 

I'm talking about food from supermarkets. It's definitely more expensive. If you eat crappy street food, maybe it's cheaper. Unless they don't scam and overcharge you, as they like to do with stupid foreigners haha

Vietnam is going to be the next China, so probably not a good retirement idea. Vietnam is in the middle of a purge by hardliners of the economic liberals. It's being done under the guise of getting rid of corruption. Just like Xi did in China. China is going to be their model. And the Communist Party of Vietnam is going to restore and strengthen ties with the PRC. The general populace may not like the Chinese, but the Communist Party will align with them against the West and to restore dictatorial rule. They don't care about the economy. They're willing to let it suffer to regain absolute control. Just like in China. And nobody from the West, especially the US, is going to get military ties. The US in particular has just been played for a sucker by the Vietnamese in order to get investment that they'll now see redirected to Chinese interests. Retirement in Vietnam? Not unless you like jail cells.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Viet-nam is next Asian country for vacations and business since they have signed in Trade Agreements with European Union.

Source:

https://policy.trade.ec.europa.eu/eu-trade-relationships-country-and-region/countries-and-regions/vietnam_en#:~:text=The European Union and Vietnam,Council on 30 March 2020.

I have bought many parcels from Viet-nam ......made in China mobile......Generally is China trade hub like Hungary -Polland or Romania States in European States in order to avoid custom taxes for China products.

If European Union wants to impose sactions to China then they ought to tranfer all European factories from China Federals to European Union internal market.

European States have millions illegals migrants to receive adequate training to become skilled workers in many aspects of our internal economy because European clowns are focused to too "green" economy with high  taxes which skyrocket inflation creating aspects of a sick economy.

Thailand is a high profile matured tourist market and if they want to improve their capacity they ought to abolish all restricted polices for vacationers and it doesnt have to do if you are pensioner with permanent legal residence status or average tourst in temporarly status.

1.You cant open legal Bank account in Thailand if you are foreigner "non golden boys" visa status

2.You have to pay double prices everywhere (except Malls)

3.As European citizen you have to have to pay and be reported almost every month to Immigration Thai Authorities like a criminal at the same time where Thailand accept free visas status from Russians -Ukrains -Tajikistan and other subsaharian underdeveloped African States.

All of these mesaures doesnt mean that Kingdom of Thailand will become paradise of illegals usual criminal "tourists" because unfortunately as we have already experienced many criminals travel with no Authorities control from developed Nations like U.S.A -Britain -Australian and some from Eurpean States to Thailand.

4.Last but not at least Thailand in collaboration with individual States Embassies in Bangkok should treat European citizens free of charge or with lower available tarrifs medical treament for Europeans citizens in hospital emergency departments. (we already pay Tbaht300 .....general insurance.......)

For longer period medical treatments European patients in collaboration with their home Embassies ought to be tranfered at their home country in order to avoid involved in local medical mafia which defame Thailand reputation.

Sincerely from a European citizen .....since 2010 

Paris333

Edited by Paris333
  • Confused 2

In the future Vietnam will be the power house in the Asia;  Average age 32,5! 

- I'm not the smart one to say so, I read about it in many medias, but I could feel it during my trips there.

Not one wanted to leave their country, unlike 90% of women of Isan... 🙂

"NBC 2024: The Southeast Asian country is forecast to see a 125% increase in wealth over the next 10 years,  Andrew Amoils, New World Wealth’s analyst, told CNBC. This would be the largest expansion in wealth of any country in terms of GDP per capita and number of millionaires, according to the firm’s analysis."

- Vn like tourists, they kicked out "backpacking teacher" tourists taking jobs away from young Vietnamese teachers

- Spoil you partner in Vn;  https://vinpearl.com/en/hotels

- Phu Quoc luxury for pennies, others are more

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Cambodia have lower average age than Viet-nam it is 27 years and they have the higher airport Tower in their new airport.

But the most important distinction point for Thailand is that they offer free visa to civilians from......India and Taiwan.....and not for European civilians. Congratulation "gentleman" from Thai Tourism.

Source:

Visa waiver extended for tourists from India and Taiwan for another six months

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/visa-waiver-extended-for-tourists-from-india-and-taiwan-for-another-six-months-460027

All tourist destinations take advantage of the winter months in continents such as Europe and America and the summer warm month in Asia.
Today I read that total 61 people died in Thailand for the year 2024,from the expremely heat wave while last year 23 people died from the heat.(most in central and northeast region)

We do not forget tourism cooperation between Thailand "land of smiles" and "siling coast of Africa" Gambia......

Source:

Thailand and The Gambia enhance cooperation on agriculture and tourism

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/thailand-and-the-gambia-enhance-cooperation-on-agriculture-and-tourism-459971

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/8/2024 at 3:29 AM, Jingthing said:

No retirement visa there and there never will be.

Next

"Retirement" visa in Thailand is nothing but a 1 year tourist visa; no immigrant status, no health care and no permanency. 

• Confused 1

On 5/8/2024 at 1:08 AM, georgegeorgia said:

The question is.

As the next generation say 10-20 years from now when some of you will not be posting..

YouTubers are saying DA NANG in Vietnam is the next Pattaya in terms of retirement without the Go Go bars I suspect 

Every where now in YouTube is retirees particularly American posting their retirement in DA NANG , in Vietnam 

I'm fascinated by this new fetish 

Apparently Vietnam is cheaper than Thailand 

Is DA NANG the next retirement for next generation 

I want to check this place out , apparently cheaper , better visas?

I don't think so ,?

Vietnam,is the next generation who are going to massively retire there?

I'd reckon it's the best to go first for some months there to check out if the retirees would suit you 🤗

The question is.

As the next generation say 10-20 years from now when some of you will not be posting..

YouTubers are saying DA NANG in Vietnam is the next Pattaya in terms of retirement without the Go Go bars I suspect 

Every where now in YouTube is retirees particularly American posting their retirement in DA NANG , in Vietnam 

I'm fascinated by this new fetish 

Apparently Vietnam is cheaper than Thailand 

Is DA NANG the next retirement for next generation 

I want to check this place out , apparently cheaper , better visas?

I don't think so ,?

Vietnam,is the next generation who are going to massively retire there?

I'd reckon it's the best to go first for some months there to check out if the retirees would suit you

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

I'd reckon it's the best to go first for some months there to check out if the retirees would suit you 🤗

I think Nam is for those, with no real plan of setting down long term roots, since no real guarantee of retirement visa available.   Simply the extended holiday in retirement mentality, till bored, instead of 'this is where I'll be till I crap out' mentality.

Guess a lot depends on age.  If retiring at 45 vs 65.   Why settle in for the long haul, if on borrowed time.

ROCK ON

Edited by KhunLA

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I think Nam is for those, with no real plan of setting down long term roots, since no real guarantee of retirement visa available.   Simply the extended holiday in retirement mentality, till bored, instead of 'this is where I'll be till I crap out' mentality.

Guess a lot depends on age.  If retiring at 45 vs 65.   Why settle in for the long haul, if on borrowed time.

ROCK ON

Marry or impregnate a local then there's no visa problem.

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Marry or impregnate a local then there's no visa problem.

Yikes ... that's doing something for all the wrong reasons.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Most people who like Thailand won't make it long term in Vietnam.

Vietnam is much more challenging and you have a reality there that's very different from what a Thailand expat expects and needs.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2024 at 4:27 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Well there will be eventually .

Never say never ,the next generation are moving in.

The majority on this forum whinge constantly about Thailand having a military government.

You seem to think the younger element, probably the most vocal, would have no problem being in Vietnam.

I went to Sa Pa, Halong Bay and Hanoi in March,all had good points but wouldn't want to live there, bit the same with HCMC, ok for a holiday.

On 5/8/2024 at 4:21 AM, JoseThailand said:

Yep. Thailand is better even visa-wise. I'm not retired, but I've been in Thailand 4 years straight on tourists visas and exemptions.

You realize that you just publicly admitted to a crime, right?

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Most people who like Thailand won't make it long term in Vietnam.

Vietnam is much more challenging and you have a reality there that's very different from what a Thailand expat expects and needs.

I need a large TV and a fast internet connection.

You see! You only needed to read that to understand the complete failure.

35 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:
On 5/8/2024 at 4:21 AM, JoseThailand said:

Yep. Thailand is better even visa-wise. I'm not retired, but I've been in Thailand 4 years straight on tourists visas and exemptions.

You realize that you just publicly admitted to a crime, right?

What crime?

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

ROCK ON

Yes, that's an interesting aspect. Good point. I agree with you 👏

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2024 at 2:05 AM, georgegeorgia said:

YouTubers are adamant Vietnam is cheaper!!! 😳

YouTubers and TikTokkers are complete idiots and incapable of thinking for themselves; Let them go to Vietnam!
Use your own brain and find a place without these idiots 😎

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, koolkarl said:

"Retirement" visa in Thailand is nothing but a 1 year tourist visa; no immigrant status, no health care and no permanency. 

It's possible to keep Thai social security while being on a retirement visa and have free health care 

Posted (edited)

Vietnam may or may not be. But Thailand for sure is not going to be the chosen destination for the retirees and the wealthy who have a choice of destinations to spend the winter months. Other countries in Asia or even India are becomming options to strongly consider.

Edited by Sigmund

On 5/10/2024 at 3:01 PM, Paris333 said:

Cambodia have lower average age than Viet-nam it is 27 years and they have the higher airport Tower in their new airport.

But the most important distinction point for Thailand is that they offer free visa to civilians from......India and Taiwan.....and not for European civilians. Congratulation "gentleman" from Thai Tourism.

Source:

Visa waiver extended for tourists from India and Taiwan for another six months

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/visa-waiver-extended-for-tourists-from-india-and-taiwan-for-another-six-months-460027

All tourist destinations take advantage of the winter months in continents such as Europe and America and the summer warm month in Asia.
Today I read that total 61 people died in Thailand for the year 2024,from the expremely heat wave while last year 23 people died from the heat.(most in central and northeast region)

We do not forget tourism cooperation between Thailand "land of smiles" and "siling coast of Africa" Gambia......

Source:

Thailand and The Gambia enhance cooperation on agriculture and tourism

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/thailand-and-the-gambia-enhance-cooperation-on-agriculture-and-tourism-459971

India on the other hand gives long stay visas with no hassle and no cheating prices. Looks like India does not need to racket the foreigners as Thailand does on visa issues.

Slow moving coup going on in Vietnam. Hardline, pro China generals are taking over the party leadership. Anybody really want to move to a mini-China?