Expect Increase in COVID-19 Cases as School Term Approaches

A reminder:

The topic of this thread is about the rising numbers of COVID cases and hospitalizations in Thailand.

Further posts attempting to pull the thread off topic and divert it elsewhere will be removed.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, stats said:

A reminder:

The topic of this thread is about the rising numbers of COVID cases and hospitalizations in Thailand.

Further posts attempting to pull the thread off topic and divert it elsewhere will be removed.

I thought it was about schools reopenning and the possibility of an increase in covid numbers. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I thought it was about schools reopenning and the possibility of an increase in covid numbers. 

From the OP:

"The Department of Disease Control (DDC) in Bangkok recently reported an increase in COVID-19 cases following the Songkran holiday. They believe the number of infections could continue to rise as schools start their new term."

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"Long COVID is defined as a multisystem disease that have a devastating effect on any organ system, with potentially lifelong consequences. Rates of long COVID among people who have contracted SARS-CoV-2 vary controversially between studies and regions, from about 10 percent to a staggering 50 percent of people who’ve had the virus reported as having long term symptoms."

https://www.unmc.edu/healthsecurity/transmission/2023/12/27/every-covid-infection-increases-your-risk-of-long-covid-study-warns/

At least 14% of Americans have long COVID, research suggests

The researchers found that nearly half (47%) of people surveyed reported having had COVID-19 at some point, while 14% of the total had had long COVID at some point, half of whom (7% of the total) still had long COVID symptoms when answering the survey.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-11-americans-covid.html

Almost a third of COVID survivors report symptoms 2 years post-infection

meta-analysis of 12 studies shows that 30% of COVID-19 survivors have persistent symptoms 2 years after infection, the most common of which are fatigue, cognitive problems, and pain.

For the study, published yesterday in the Journal of Infection, an international team led by a researcher from Universidad Rey Juan Carlos in Madrid, Spain, searched the literature for observational and case-control studies of long COVID 2 years after infection.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/almost-third-covid-survivors-report-symptoms-2-years-post-infection

Whats this have to do with the original topic?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Is mask wearing able to stop the spread of Omicron a scientific fact? If you say yes, please cite supporting evidence.

Reduce, yes.

you see he said stop right ? why did you reply with reduce. they are not the same thing at all. wearing a mask does NOT stop covid. it reduces the spread sure but lets not mix that up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stoner said:

wearing a mask does NOT stop covid. it reduces the spread sure

Thanks for finally acknowledging here what the scientific community has long known and reported:

Face mask effectiveness: What science knows now

October 29, 2023

"In an interview for 60 Minutes, CBS News chief medical correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook posed that question to Linsey Marr, a Virginia Tech university professor specializing in aerosol science.

"They are very helpful in reducing the chances that the person will get COVID because it's reducing the amount of virus that you would inhale from the air around you," Marr said about masks.  

No mask is 100% effective. An N95, for example, is named as such because it is at least 95% efficient at blocking airborne particles when used properly. But even if a mask has an 80% efficiency, Marr said, it still offers meaningful protection. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/face-mask-effectiveness-what-science-knows-now-60-minutes/

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks for finally acknowledging here what the scientific community has long known and reported:

October 29, 2023

"In an interview for 60 Minutes, CBS News chief medical correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook posed that question to Linsey Marr, a Virginia Tech university professor specializing in aerosol science.

"They are very helpful in reducing the chances that the person will get COVID because it's reducing the amount of virus that you would inhale from the air around you," Marr said about masks.  

No mask is 100% effective. An N95, for example, is named as such because it is at least 95% efficient at blocking airborne particles when used properly. But even if a mask has an 80% efficiency, Marr said, it still offers meaningful protection. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/face-mask-effectiveness-what-science-knows-now-60-minutes/

when did i ever deny that john ? please show me my post where i have said that.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, stoner said:

when did i ever deny that john ? please show me my post where i have said that.

I thanked you for publicly acknowledging the documented truth. Sorry if you take offense at that.

If you've acknowledged that here publicly before, perhaps you can point me to your prior posts saying so.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

A sudden rise in the incidence of covid post Sonkran here in rural north east occurred in the family members of relatives who returned home for the holiday so presumably bring the virus with them. For all it was very mild and brief.

That mini epidemic is now past so IMO children returning to schools in their own area are not more  or any less likely to be infected.

I think it would be true to say that any spike in infections follows mass travel events which suggests it is the regional exposure to minor variants that creates the spike. Given that over time variants have not demonstrated greater but lessor potential lethal impact perhaps increasing exposure assists an increase in overall community immunity?

"Long covid " claims are still a contentious subject within the viral/ epidemiological expert domain.

References to "studies" with no indisputable conclusion is as useful as boobs on a bull unless endless argument is the goal.

In the absence of totalitarian mandates freedom of choice and opinion should be respected. IMHO.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I thanked you for publicly acknowledging the truth. Sorry if you take offense at that.

If you've acknowledged that here publicly before, perhaps you can point me to your prior posts saying so.

all good. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

October 29, 2023

I do find it interesting that in China once they abandoned the rediculous zero covid policy it spread like wildfire. Remembering vision of this it looked like 100% mask wearing yet covid spread and it spread fast and wide.

Edited by dinsdale

Two off-topic posts with trolling comments have been removed, including one for making unsourced and unsubstantiated claims, and the other for posting an unsourced (no weblink) off-topic video.

Once again, the thread topic here is about the recent rise of COVID cases and hospitalizations in Thailand (including the government's recommendations for social distancing and face mask wear here) -- not goings on in other countries or conspiracy theory claims.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No one I'm aware of ever claimed that mask wearing alone would entirely halt/stop COVID. However, in keeping with your China example, reputable sources posted here reported that face masking together with other measures (social distancing, lockdowns, etc.) could make significant impacts in doing so.

Lockdowns and face masks ‘unequivocally’ cut spread of Covid, report finds

Royal Society review looks at non-pharmaceutical interventions when applied in packages of several measures

Measures taken during the Covid pandemic such as social distancing and wearing face masks “unequivocally” reduced the spread of infections, a report has found.

Experts looked at the effectiveness of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) – not drugs or vaccines – when applied in packages that combine a number of measures that complement one another.

The Royal Society report, called Covid-19: examining the effectiveness of non-pharmaceutical interventions, reviewed the evidence gathered during the pandemic for six groups of NPIs and their effectiveness in reducing transmission.

When assessed individually, there was positive – if limited – evidence of transmission reduction from many of the NPIs used in the pandemic, the review found. However, evidence of a positive effect was clear when countries used combinations of NPIs.

(more)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/24/lockdowns-face-masks-unequivocally-cut-spread-covid-study-finds

Say or cite what you like but as I said covid spread rapidly throughout China after they lifted the zero covid policy with the entire population wearing masks. You see the thing is covid is so contagious and becoming even more so that masks would have to be 100% effective and worn continuously to stop the transmission. Reduction is not enough. It will spread. This is the nature of the virus. Now with this spread comes natural immunity so the virus changes again to be more contagious. We cant keep wearing masks for ever. It's pointless.

13 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Thankfully COVID is not as strong and deadly as the first 2 or 3 strains.  It seems to be more contagious though,

I bet more masks will be worn again. Oh the horror.  

I have noticed that fewer and fewer Thais are wearing the mask now in Bangkok. In recent days, I have noticed that in the skytrain, only about half the Thais wear the mask. Outdoors, that percentage is maybe 25-30 percent or so. For foreigners, as you probably know, these percentages are a lot less. 

Now that the Covid cases seem to be on the increase, albeit not a big increase, will we see an increase in mask use again? Time will tell. But, I get the feeling that most people are actually fed up. It has been more than 4 years, man! 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"Long COVID is defined as a multisystem disease that have a devastating effect on any organ system, with potentially lifelong consequences. Rates of long COVID among people who have contracted SARS-CoV-2 vary controversially between studies and regions, from about 10 percent to a staggering 50 percent of people who’ve had the virus reported as having long term symptoms."

https://www.unmc.edu/healthsecurity/transmission/2023/12/27/every-covid-infection-increases-your-risk-of-long-covid-study-warns/

At least 14% of Americans have long COVID, research suggests

The researchers found that nearly half (47%) of people surveyed reported having had COVID-19 at some point, while 14% of the total had had long COVID at some point, half of whom (7% of the total) still had long COVID symptoms when answering the survey.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-11-americans-covid.html

Almost a third of COVID survivors report symptoms 2 years post-infection

meta-analysis of 12 studies shows that 30% of COVID-19 survivors have persistent symptoms 2 years after infection, the most common of which are fatigue, cognitive problems, and pain.

For the study, published yesterday in the Journal of Infection, an international team led by a researcher from Universidad Rey Juan Carlos in Madrid, Spain, searched the literature for observational and case-control studies of long COVID 2 years after infection.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/almost-third-covid-survivors-report-symptoms-2-years-post-infection

And I would like to know also:

How many of these got how many mRNA injections,

constantly reproducing and flooding their body with spike proteins and -who knows what- different mRNA...

Edited by stats
unsourced and unsubstantiated claims removed
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/9/2024 at 4:18 AM, spidermike007 said:

93 deaths since the start of the year. Directly, or indirectly from covid? And how many from the flu? And traffic accidents? How about from the extremely low air quality? 

This is a non story. Covid is endemic, and has been for a long time. No longer news. Sorry to disappoint, but this is not the Zombie Apocalypse. 

I agree with you.

Until and unless COVID evolves into a lethal form, it's just not that big a deal.

I don't know of any "weak" virus that suddenly evolved into a killer.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, cowellandrew said:

I am feeling left out, worked all through the uk lockdowns with plenty of other work mates with family etc,

Not used a mask, not used hand sanitizer,

No vaccines, been to Bangkok, kanchanaburi, hongkong, Dubai,

The rug rats ×2 sisters kids sitting on the thai style bus bench seats, 18 /20 on the bus, one week full ppe face mask,plastic visor, gloves etc,

Next week nothing!

And I've still not caught it!

😳🤔😂

You were lucky. I knew young healthy people who caught it and died.

I never got it. I think some people have natural immunity, maybe it's the Neanderthal DNA some people have.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Bernietravelling said:

And I would like to know also:

How many of these got how many mRNA injections,

constantly reproducing and flooding their body with spike proteins and -who knows what- different mRNA...

Vaccinateds are much less likely to suffer from Long COVID 

• Confused 2

But no Covid warnings given pre. Songkran  was there,   or maybe Tourist authority did'nt allow it. interfering  with the Billions of Baht expected

On 5/8/2024 at 6:31 PM, BangkokReady said:

Is it even any stronger than the flu right now as it is?

"Compared with flu, COVID-19 can cause more severe illness in some people. Compared to people with flu, people infected with COVID-19 may take longer to show symptoms and may be contagious for longer periods of time."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm#:~:text=Compared with flu%2C COVID-19,for longer periods of time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 9:11 AM, Stargeezr said:

Thankfully COVID is not as strong and deadly as the first 2 or 3 strains.  It seems to be more contagious though,

I bet more masks will be worn again. Oh the horror.  

How many injections have the commenters here had?  You're proud of that right? So I'm sure you all won't mind sharing your heroic deeds. 🤔

Edited by stats
trolling comment removed
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 10:55 PM, Jim Jum said:

At least 10% percent of infections leads to long covid. The economic burden of covid will be huge. Thanks to the continuous covid infections, the children of this generation will become the sickest and stupidest generation of all.

A huge number of scientific sources tell about the dangers of several covid infections. The discussion becomes heavy if every sentence has to be justified with a source that most people don't even read. However, here are a few I glanced at this morning. This applies especially to school children who spend their days in a crowded, poorly ventilated space.

https://impact.economist.com/perspectives/health/incomplete-picture-understanding-burden-long-covid

(direct link to the report: https://impact.economist.com/perspectives/sites/default/files/download/ei264_-_an_incomplete_picture_understanding_the_burden_of_long_covid_v8.pdf)

https://www.modernatx.com/media-center/all-media/blogs/long-covid-awareness-day-2024

https://www.imperial.nhs.uk/about-us/news/covid-may-have-small-but-lasting-effects-on-cognition-and-memory

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1388245/uk-sick-leave-figures/

https://libguides.mskcc.org/CovidImpacts/Immune

Edited by Jim Jum
Added a link only