Vehicle testing stations

PoorSucker

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Shouldn't of let you get away with it, loud exhausts are juvenile, try riding with more skill instead 

95db is allowed, Testing in a garage on max trust will be 110db.

Don't make juvenile sounds, I'm 57

The monthly concert outside my condo is louder.

18 years in Thailand, driving is a survivor skill.

• Sad 4

On 5/9/2024 at 2:54 PM, PoorSucker said:

I know some people hate loud exhaust but it's better to be heard, saved my life one time.

Anticipation is a much more valuable - and unobtrusive - defence mechanism when driving.

7 hours ago, rwill said:

I have always wondered how all these trucks blowing clouds of black smoke when they accelerate can pass the smog/safety checks.

200 baht 😂 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 2:54 PM, PoorSucker said:

I know some people hate loud exhaust but it's better to be heard, saved my life one time.

Car changing lane on Sukhumvit, didn't check blind spot but she heard me.

How do you know she heard you?

I have found it's a good idea to stay out of blind spots to start with.

On 5/9/2024 at 10:54 AM, PoorSucker said:

I hate loud pipe, but there is no doubt about the saying...'loud pipe save lives'... its just very true.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard a bike before I've seen it... thats enough for me to understand that 'loud pipes' comment. 

On 5/9/2024 at 10:57 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Shouldn't of let you get away with it, loud exhausts are juvenile, try riding with more skill instead 

You always mention this 'riding more skilled' comment...    but your comments seem to avoid the realities of real world life.

Of course we can be more defensive, etc...  but your comment implies that 'being more skilled' will save you from all potential issues

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:
On 5/9/2024 at 10:54 AM, PoorSucker said:

How do you know she heard you?

I have found it's a good idea to stay out of blind spots to start with.

Lane splitting is legal in Thailand...   When in traffic lane spitting...    you're always in someones blind spot at some point, no matter how hard you try not to be....   (as antisocial as I think they area) If you have louder pipes someone will hear you before they see you, I have little doubt that louder pipes are safer... (though as I comment - I dislike loud pipes and have never put them on my bikes).

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Lane splitting is legal in Thailand...   When in traffic lane spitting...    you're always in someones blind spot at some point, no matter how hard you try not to be....   (as antisocial as I think they area) If you have louder pipes someone will hear you before they see you, I have little doubt that louder pipes are safer... (though as I comment - I dislike loud pipes and have never put them on my bikes).

I don't lane split, I stay left.

Watching some of the people that do is enough to freeze my blood.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:
11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't lane split, I stay left.

Watching some of the people that do is enough to freeze my blood.

There's little choice in gridlocked traffic, unless you are happy remaining stationary in your lane behind a car... in which case, just take the car. 

The biggest concern for me when lane splitting in gridlocked and stopped traffic is the person who opens their door - luckily there are so many motorcycles in Thailand that most drivers are aware of this....   (yet some idiot motorcyclist still try and undertake a stopping taxi !!).

Drivers also tend not to make sudden lane change movements because of the amount of lane filtering motorcycles. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

There's little choice in gridlocked traffic, unless you are happy remaining stationary in your lane behind a car... in which case, just take the car. 

The biggest concern for me when lane splitting in gridlocked and stopped traffic is the person who opens their door - luckily there are so many motorcycles in Thailand that most drivers are aware of this....   (yet some idiot motorcyclist still try and undertake a stopping taxi !!).

Drivers also tend not to make sudden lane change movements because of the amount of lane filtering motorcycles. 

I guess living in the sticks has advantages, I assume you are referring to Bangkok traffic.

Chiang Rai is OK, I would even shy away from traffic in Chiang Mai now.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You always mention this 'riding more skilled' comment...    but your comments seem to avoid the realities of real world life.

Of course we can be more defensive, etc...  but your comment implies that 'being more skilled' will save you from all potential issues

He's using safety as an excuse for a loud exhaust, no need for it, riding safer is a better idea, problem is plonkers on big bikes like going faster, aggressive riding, definitely a hazard

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

He's using safety as an excuse for a loud exhaust, no need for it, riding safer is a better idea, problem is plonkers on big bikes like going faster, aggressive riding, definitely a hazard

Completely agree....     It many cases it would appear that the 'loud exhaust' also comes with the 'loud rider'... i.e. the flooktard melt who's razzing it everywhere... 

Then there is the guy who has a loud bike in my Moobaan... I hear whenever he rides bike past our house, a low, but considerate 'rumble'.. he's clearly making an effort to keep the noise down and be respectful of everyone - I think his bike is a Triumph Speed Twin....  I imagine he rides it quite responsibly when out on the open road - but you'd definitely hear him coming.

Deliberately making the exhaust louder is the realm of the tos$er...   

But... that does not mean loud exhausts do not add an additional element of safety.....   they most certainly do, IMO.

And... in Thailand, anyway, the issue with the loud exhausts is with most of the knobjockeys on their hair-dryers, skinny wheels and modded exhausts, ragging it wherever they can...   and at night its some of these utter co<kwombles who ride without lights... 

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I guess living in the sticks has advantages, I assume you are referring to Bangkok traffic.

Chiang Rai is OK, I would even shy away from traffic in Chiang Mai now.

Yep... I am referring to Bangkok....   to be honest, I'm riding the bike less and less these days... 

It's just too hot waiting at lights all the time....   recently the car or Grab get more use.