What would you do with that scam?

I receive on my phone an SMS from this scammer at least 2 times perweek.
Normally, I don't give a hoot about scammers on my computer (mail), but I don't like it when they start scamming my phone.
What would you do with such scams?
PS.: I removed part of the link for security reasons.

Screenshot_20240513_115110.jpg

• Confused 1

I just got that SMS for the first time a couple of days ago. I'm pretty sure that clicking on the link would not lead to anything good, so I deleted the message without clicking on the link.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

In the past I must have clicked on something via SMS (not that I recall) because credit just gets eaten all the time

True have reset Sim 3 times but as soon as the new month starts on the 1st the credit starts disappearing again. 

Pain because the only time I'd need credit is the emergency hospital ambulance numbers just imagine having heart attack and the phones telling you to add credit !

• Agree 1

Is there any Governmental email where we can report this Scam?
I remember that I receoved a link to a Governmental website here, but when I tried to send a Report the link was not existing.
I guess that make a report at a police office will not lead anywhere.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I guess that make a report at a police office will not lead anywhere.

If you haven't been scammed there'd be nothing to report, especially if the messages originate overseas.   Sending SMS messages inviting you to click a link isn't illegal - it's the later part where the scam actually happens that is illegal.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dioj said:

Most of these scam SMS messages can't effectively be blocked because there is no number associated with them. They are sent out by bulk SMS spam servers. So when you block them your phone isn't really able to create a proper block. 

Best thing to do is report them to your cell phone service provider. Eventually they should be able to filter them for you. Also, if you are going to report them then don't delete them until you've reported them, just in case your service provider needs some information contained within the text message. 

Thanks for the info.

I used to block them, but I keep receiving these sms messages.

Will visit my provider for more info.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Don't answer read the messages or answer the calls.  Easy.  Or get something like Bitdefender; I get the same messages as you showed but Bitdefender immediately recognises them and diverts them to a scam file, before the incoming message tone has even finished and from where they can be deleted.

I like the Bitdefender idea... I think I'll give that a try....   

Appreciate the suggestion... 

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They come in on different numbers many times so blocking them doesn't help - are you a five-year old child?

Your point is correct except for the last part which is completely unnecessary - not everybody might be as "tech savvy" as you.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

Your point is correct except for the last part which is completely unnecessary - not everybody might be as "tech savvy" as you.

Don't they teach number blocking in 1st grade now?

• Confused 1

The sender on most of these messages show up as a name and not a number because they are coming from servers. And if they do have a number it is a spoofed number and they change their spoofed number every time to avoid being blocked. The only way to block effectively is to notify the cell service provider. They can sometimes block certain SMS spam servers or block them based on message patterns. That's the only effective way. 

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Chivas said:

In the past I must have clicked on something via SMS (not that I recall) because credit just gets eaten all the time

True have reset Sim 3 times but as soon as the new month starts on the 1st the credit starts disappearing again. 

Pain because the only time I'd need credit is the emergency hospital ambulance numbers just imagine having heart attack and the phones telling you to add credit !

Or just change phone and number and not click again. Then you can call someone when having a heart attack, if that is possible during one.

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Or just change phone and number and not click again. Then you can call someone when having a heart attack, if that is possible during one.

If you're on your own then it simply has to be "possible"

9 hours ago, sungod said:

So I've sent a substantial amount of cash to a Nigerian Prince who has promised to pay me back 3 times once he gets the black dyed bank notes cleaned up

send me 1 btc and i'll send back 10. 

2 hours ago, Dioj said:

The sender on most of these messages show up as a name and not a number because they are coming from servers. And if they do have a number it is a spoofed number and they change their spoofed number every time to avoid being blocked. The only way to block effectively is to notify the cell service provider. They can sometimes block certain SMS spam servers or block them based on message patterns. That's the only effective way. 

The sender is only identified by "ZFMGC5"
Not a phone number.
Blocking the name "ZFMGC5" is if no use.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I suffered a heart attack in 1997, and I can assure you that a phone will not help you if you have a heart attack.
The only thing that can help you at that moment is to have someone who can administer Emergency Aid (Heart massage and breathing aid).
If that only person would first take pictures to send to Facebook, InstaGram or whatever Social Media, you are f..ked up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They come in on different numbers many times so blocking them doesn't help - are you a five-year old child?

Yes, I am not in Thailand at the moment I get them every day many times I just block them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Yes, I am not in Thailand at the moment I get them every day many times I just block them.

Search on Google for "SMS Bomber" or "SMS Blaster" and you will see that Blocking the Sender makes no difference as the Sender Address is auto-generated.

5 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Search on Google for "SMS Bomber" or "SMS Blaster" and you will see that Blocking the Sender makes no difference as the Sender Address is auto-generated.

Well I just don't answer to numbers Who are not in my phone book 

8 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Well I just don't answer to numbers Who are not in my phone book 

You never order anything for delivery ?? - they usually call to ensure you are in before delivery.

And what if its the Bank calling... (your Bank never calls, right ?)

What if its your Bolt / Grab taxi wanting to confirm your address ?

You may be retired, so its a bit easier... I can't ignore unknown calls because they could be recruiters.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1