Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

2 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/ukraine-is-running-short-of-people-1.2079923.amp.html

Ukraine are on western aid life support. If the money stops the country collapses.

It’s a conundrum for President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, who is desperate to replenish his forces while ensuring that the shortage doesn’t damage an economy he needs to keep afloat.

“We are now in a war of attrition,” Ukrainian Deputy Central Bank Governor Sergiy Nikolaychuk said in an interview in Kyiv. “It is very difficult to choose between butter and guns.”

The problem will only intensify as the Russian invasion drags well into its third year and Kyiv is forced to fill a gap left by millions who have either fled the country, joined the army or fallen in battle. As Ukraine’s military struggles to hold the line against a fresh Russian offensive, its economy — which has lost a quarter of its output since the invasion began — risks being further weakened by the shrinking workforce.

How was the weather over there...........? 😊

• Haha 1

Ukraine is grabbing men off the street barely teaching them to fire a gun and sending them to the frontline to face relentless barrage and probable death under ferocius artillery and glide bombs.It's beyond tragic and not a situation any informed person should condone.

https://archive.ph/SxN3f

There are no grenades for throwing in training centers, and there are no grenade launcher rounds in the training center,” said the officer, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to do so publicly. “This is the problem.”
“We don’t have a proper training system in place,” the officer continued, adding that Ukraine needs its instructors to be taught by NATO trainers to condense the standard two-month basic training into one month.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

There are no grenades for throwing in training centers, and there are no grenade launcher rounds in the training center,” said the officer, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to do so publicly. “This is the problem.”
“We don’t have a proper training system in place,” the officer continued, adding that Ukraine needs its instructors to be taught by NATO trainers to condense the standard two-month basic training into one month.

Ukraine needs its instructors to be taught by NATO trainers to condense the standard two-month basic training into one month.

Good grief, I didn't realise that it was that bad- I feel for the poor conscripts.

When I did my basic training it was 3 months and that was just all arms, After that the infantry had more training before being posted to Vietnam.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Very interesting and telling comment , there is going to be a de-facto accpetance of territorial gains and frozen front lines. The Korean armistice and cease-fire is coming and then hopefully the senseless slaughter can stop. All maximalists are doing now is prolonging the war and suffering for the same end result.

It's likely to come at the meeting Zelensky is promoting now.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ukraine needs its instructors to be taught by NATO trainers to condense the standard two-month basic training into one month.

Good grief, I didn't realise that it was that bad- I feel for the poor conscripts.

When I did my basic training it was 3 months and that was just all arms, After that the infantry had more training before being posted to Vietnam.

There's a lengthy video on my Redditt channels of a larger group of Hare Krishna followers at an ashram in Ukraine trying to 'peacefully' fight off recruitment soldiers who are arremtping to drag away potential conscripts. No wonder hundreds are dying in the rivers and forests as they try to flee Ukraine. Any sane person would.

https://archive.ph/AtE1o

Matviy is now in another European country, chasing an engineering career that he says would have been cut short in Ukraine. He understands other Ukrainians may criticise him, but says he was driven by a survival instinct. He had seen enough of the “safari” in his own city in western Ukraine, where draft officers scour the streets for potential recruits. He still believes in his country, he insists. Ukraine will continue fighting for its freedom and independence. It could rise again after the war. But it will be without him. “The country does not exist for me any more. There’s no way back.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I just noticed Zelensky had another speech. This time in Shangri La SG. 

I wonder how did he get there as it is a pretty long haul and mainly over RU, IN and CH.

Did he flew from US instead?

I once took (now bankrupt) Polish flight from Bangkok to BL and that was very exhausting.

PS: Shangri La in SG is indeed high quality hotel, still remember cup of coffee for $16

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, transam said:

I hear Putin is going to put tax's up to pay for his war........😋

All countries are doing that you may have heard about Thailands plan - shakedown all those draft dodging Russians enjoying the sun.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

All countries are doing that you may have heard about Thailands plan - shakedown all those draft dodging Russians enjoying the sun.

I heard Thailand is also planning to tax the expats staying here as well. Fortunately, I transferred enough in last year to last me for a number of years. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I heard Thailand is also planning to tax the expats staying here as well. Fortunately, I transferred enough in last year to last me for a number of years. 

And they will want to see where it came from.........😂

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Oh dear. It seems like the global majority has spoken. 160 nations have been invited but are any countries of significance attending?

The none western autocratic world is worried about their wealth residing in dollar juristdictions and the fact that the US is losing it's pole position with the rise of China. When you have record debt and there is an alternative financial world coming into being your bark doesn't seem so loud nor does your bite. Israel was the final shoe dropping in the international so called rules based order. Welcome to the 21st Century.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

WAPO is increasingly bearish on the war or more likely simply acknowleging the real polotik of events on the ground. Sadly it's all about weakening Russia. Few people really care about Ukraine it's just collateral damage in the "Great Game". They aren't even an ally in the traditional sense and probably never will  be. The west is already walking back the "as long as it takes" for "as long as we can" and Zelenskiy is right to talk about betrayal.

https://archive.ph/pybQR

This spiral dynamic — of unrelenting Russian aggression and ever-increasing Western military support for Ukraine to counter Moscow’s momentum — has been ratcheting up nearly 2½ years. Without a bargaining process, it might continue for years to come. And someday, one side or the other might finally stumble over an actual red line, which could lead to exactly the major escalation the Biden administration has been trying to avoid.
In the meantime, Ukraine will continue to suffer and the costs of the war to the West will continue to mount. There has to be a better way to manage the most consequential military conflict in a generation.

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

WAPO is increasingly bearish on the war or more likely simply acknowleging the real polotik of events on the ground. Sadly it's all about weakening Russia. Few people really care about Ukraine it's just collateral damage in the "Great Game". They aren't even an ally in the traditional sense and probably never will  be. The west is already walking back the "as long as it takes" for "as long as we can" and Zelenskiy is right to talk about betrayal.

https://archive.ph/pybQR

This spiral dynamic — of unrelenting Russian aggression and ever-increasing Western military support for Ukraine to counter Moscow’s momentum — has been ratcheting up nearly 2½ years. Without a bargaining process, it might continue for years to come. And someday, one side or the other might finally stumble over an actual red line, which could lead to exactly the major escalation the Biden administration has been trying to avoid.
In the meantime, Ukraine will continue to suffer and the costs of the war to the West will continue to mount. There has to be a better way to manage the most consequential military conflict in a generation.

It's a guest opinion piece.

It doesn't reflect the opinion of WAPO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

The general committed a faux pas and as someone of his rank he should've known better. During wartime, both military and civilian leadership must show unwavering trust in the system, and any complains or grievances must be discussed privately, going public with inflammatory comments could lead to decline in morals or even panic among soldiers.

The majority of militaries has rule against such behavior, and If an active-duty US general openly and harshly criticized the army during the Iraq invasion or the Vietnam war he would've been removed from his post immediately although I doubt he would be jailed.

You'll need to try again on that, complete fail. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The terrorist orcs..

UN urged to investigate disturbing video of Russian troops torturing Ukrainians in forest

The United Nations has been asked to investigate a disturbing video of blindfolded Ukrainian troops being tortured by Russians near Kharkiv.

Ukraine’s Ombudsman Dmytro Lubinets shared the one-minute clip on Telegram as he vowed to hold the Russian soldiers accountable.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1906504/russian-troops-torture-ukraine-soldiers-un-investigation

Video in link

image.png.9aedcfc439fb50332c8c2f297e26b6cb.png

https://x.com/KremlinTrolls/status/1797516207492612568

The Russians are nasty mfeckers to nobodies surprise as are nearly all armies in war it brutalises people and nations. Remember My Lai or Abu Ghraib or the treatment of Palestinian prisonsers in Israel? Good job the International Criminal Court exists to try these crimes , indeed it has indicted Putin amongst others Brian. I'm sure you are in full agreement with that august body ? If not then I'm not listening. And the Express , really ? Let's stick to the broadsheets lest we descend into imbelic progandising.

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Agree 1