Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Martial Law wasn't imposed in the UK during WW2

Actually, this is rather interesting. 

Chat, tell me (this is what streamers say when they want a response, in case some old foggies on here are not up with the times), was the UK under more threat from N A Z I Germany during the 2nd WW than Ukraine currently is from Uncle P?

I seem to recall reading that the Brits were sheltering in the London Underground (located in London, for the benefit of those that has never been to London) when the Germans were dropping bombs there. Very different from Kiev (of Kviv, which is correct anyway?) where Tony Blinkered was rocking to the crowd.

If the UK was under a greater threat and yet didn’t declare martial law, does that mean that (the real) Churchill was braver and/or a more competent leader? Whereas if Ukraine was under a greater threat, then should Blinken have been karaoke-ing instead of finding a solution?

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Chat, tell me (this is what streamers say when they want a response, in case some old foggies on here are not up with the times), was the UK under more threat from N A Z I Germany during the 2nd WW than Ukraine currently is from Uncle P?

I seem to recall reading that the Brits were sheltering in the London Underground (located in London, for the benefit of those that has never been to London) when the Germans were dropping bombs there. Very different from Kiev (of Kviv, which is correct anyway?) where Tony Blinkered was rocking to the crowd.

If the UK was under a greater threat and yet didn’t declare martial law, does that mean that (the real) Churchill was braver and/or a more competent leader? Whereas if Ukraine was under a greater threat, then should Blinken have been karaoke-ing instead of finding a solution?

Off topic nonsense and avoiding the fact that I sent you a working link on Ukraine Martial Law and you've ignored it.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

You’re (not your. I wonder who should go back to junior school) losing it. Even your links don’t exist 

IMG_0355.png

Working for me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rabas said:

Neither the UK nor the US were occupied during WW2, fully or partially. 

Ukraine is as we speak.

You cannot hold a vote when only some citizens can vote, obviously (WTH, duh).

Rightly, the Ukraine constitution forbids such an election.  [LINK]

He did say he could do it for $5 billion.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/08/27/7417314/

Also there are dissident voices within the political realm that haven't been banned,exiled or arrested.

https://www.dw.com/en/can-ukraines-zelenskyy-stay-in-power-without-an-election/a-68789736

Veteran Ukrainian politicians have also waded into the debate. Hryhoriy Omelchenko, a former parliamentarian and member of the constitutional drafting commission of the mid-1990s, said it was no coincidence that the extension of presidential terms remains unregulated, adding that this serves as safeguard.

Even so, Omelchenko penned a letter to Zelenskyy — published in Ukrajina Moloda newspaper in March — urging the president "not to usurp state power" and to voluntarily resign in May.

And

"The Ukrainian constitution states this clearly," said Andriy Mahera, of the Center of Policy and Legal Reform in Kyiv. "The president does not automatically lose his powers five years after inauguration. These powers are only removed when the newly elected president takes office, i.e., after elections."

Ok, what happened with Yanukovich then? Oh I forgot we don't talk about him.

Oh and because, Zaluzhny will easily beat him which is why he sacked him and exiled him to Uk as Ambassador.

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

You are not going to be popular here if you say that large parts of Ukraine is occupied and that there are ongoing attacks on cities in Ukraine. The only socially accepted posts are those that show Russia losing and being driven back.

Why on earth would that be? Saying that Russia occupies large parts of Ukraine and is carrying out ongoing attacks on cities does not in any way preclude the possibility that Russia might be losing and being driven back.

For instance, although Russia has indisputably and illegally taken over parts of Ukraine and continues to commit war crimes with their ongoing attacks against Ukrainian civilian targets, they may well be losing their grip on at least one of the illegally-occupied areas, Crimea (with possibly others to follow).

Putin may be about to lose Crimea

Crimea may be an ‘unsinkable aircraft carrier’ as once described by Putin, but with Sevastopol in particular taking a beating, and many of the ships there fleeing to the more eastern port of Novorossiysk in pre-2014 Russia, it is becoming quite a dangerous aircraft carrier to be aboard. 

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Why on earth would that be? Saying that Russia occupies large parts of Ukraine and is carrying out ongoing attacks on cities does not in any way preclude the possibility that Russia might be losing and being driven back.

For instance, although Russia has indisputably and illegally taken over parts of Ukraine and continues to commit war crimes with their ongoing attacks against Ukrainian civilian targets, they may well be losing their grip on at least one of the illegally-occupied areas, Crimea (with possibly others to follow).

Putin may be about to lose Crimea

The truth is everybody is losing and losing big.The glory days of an ever expanding world and general peace which most here were lucky to have is over. Certainly for probably the rest of most of our lives.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Multiple attempts. Yet not one is able to point out what martial law in Ukraine means and how it’s helps. Apart from keeping Z in power of course. 

Why should we talk about your latest fixation?

There is already virtual martial law in Russia today, you should worry about that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Remind me of general elections held in the UK during WW2.

You are trying to deflection from the mass casualties suffered by the Russian army.

• Like 1

The western press keep churning this nonsesne out maybe that's why so many are misinformed. Hamish De Bretton Gordon ex tank commander is the worst. I had a quick look at his past record....

Screenshot 2024-06-12 180138.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, rabas said:

Neither the UK nor the US were occupied during WW2, fully or partially. 

Ukraine is as we speak.

You cannot hold a vote when only some citizens can vote, obviously (WTH, duh).

Rightly, the Ukraine constitution forbids such an election.  [LINK]

Wasn’t Ukraine, according to some of you guys, partially occupied (Crimea) when Zelensky was “voted” in? That’s put paid to your first argument, duh…

The Ukrainian constitution forbids such an election. How convenient. Declare martial law and remain in power. Martial law was first declared over a year ago I believe and has been extended multiple times since then. Nice move Z. You can teach that dictator next door a thing or two about totalitarianism 😂

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

You are trying to deflection from the mass casualties suffered by the Russian army.

What has casualties suffered by the Russian army anything to do with Germany bombing the UK?

Surely you are not trying to deflection deflect from a losing position?

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Why should we talk about your latest fixation?

There is already virtual martial law in Russia today, you should worry about that.

Don’t reply if you don’t want to.Not exactly rocket science.

Why should I worry about something that doesn’t exist (virtual martial law) in a country that isn’t my homeland and has nothing to do with me? Are you trying to deflection deflect from answering my question as you don’t have a good answer?

12 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

What has casualties suffered by the Russian army anything to do with Germany bombing the UK?

Surely you are not trying to deflection deflect from a losing position?

You and your Russian friends were whining about lack of elections in Ukraine. I reminded you about the lack of elections during WW2.

Invasion threat = no elections.

And the Russian trolls were claiming that Russia is winning, but I reminded them that Ukrainian strategy is to trade small areas of territory for massive Russian casualties.

Not deflection, absolutely on point.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Wasn’t Ukraine, according to some of you guys, partially occupied (Crimea) when Zelensky was “voted” in? That’s put paid to your first argument, duh…

The Ukrainian constitution forbids such an election. How convenient. Declare martial law and remain in power. Martial law was first declared over a year ago I believe and has been extended multiple times since then. Nice move Z. You can teach that dictator next door a thing or two about totalitarianism 😂

Your man Putin is an absolute ruler, but you seem okay with that.

Anyone who crosses Putin is killed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

The western press keep churning this nonsesne out maybe that's why so many are misinformed. Hamish De Bretton Gordon ex tank commander is the worst. I had a quick look at his past record....

Screenshot 2024-06-12 180138.jpg

Obviously, there are propaganda trolls on both sides.

I avoid the clickbait stuff, if possible.

If Biden wins re-election, I may spend some time in Ukraine next summer. It is possible that the war will be more in the favor of Ukraine at that time, especially if Congress is in the hands of the Democrats and Ukraine is sent enough weapons to win.

I know there is some risk in entering Ukraine, and Russian missiles can strike at any time.

11 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Duh! The UK had a Labour/ Tory coalition which negated the need for a general election.

You really should get the facts before posting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill_war_ministry

The Churchill war ministry was the United Kingdom's coalition government for most of the Second World War from 10 May 1940 to 23 May 1945.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

If Biden wins re-election, I may spend some time in Ukraine next summer. It is possible that the war will be more in the favor of Ukraine at that time, especially if Congress is in the hands of the Democrats and Ukraine is sent enough weapons to win.

I know there is some risk in entering Ukraine, and Russian missiles can strike at any time.

I'm curious do you have relations there or any vital business that needs to be done ?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I'm curious do you have relations there or any vital business that needs to be done ?

Will you pass that info on to your chum on the other side..............:huh:

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Duh! The UK had a Labour/ Tory coalition which negated the need for a general election.

You really should get the facts before posting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill_war_ministry

The Churchill war ministry was the United Kingdom's coalition government for most of the Second World War from 10 May 1940 to 23 May 1945.

As an aside from this derail it was this that allowed a legal extension on a yearly vote renewed to the edn of the war.

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/lords/1940/nov/05/prolongation-of-parliament-bill

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This is a discussion forum for supposed adults that make arguments based on their knowldge and support it with evidence from approved sources as per forum rules. I see little evidence of that from you just spurious ad-hominem attacks on those that don't share your views in micro content posts splattered with childish emotcions. I am all for a an uncensored free form debate so I tolerate you with mild amusment. As you were.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

This is a discussion forum for supposed adults that make arguments based on their knowldge and support it with evidence from approved sources as per forum rules. I see little evidence of that from you just spurious ad-hominem attacks on those that don't share your views in micro content posts splattered with childish emotcions. I am all for a an uncensored free form debate so I tolerate you with mild amusment. As you were.

But, I don't like your communist arguments, so I respond, now you don't like responses, what a shame.......................🙄....................:coffee1:

:offtopic2:

9 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

No, but I have gone to Ukraine in the past.

Well from what I can deduce Kyiv is relatively peaceful bar air raids and mostly targeted drone / missile attacks. Lack of power will be a big thing. and it is likely most travel isurance won't apply. Are you into war tourism ? It is a thing. Oh and apparently I'm going to tip off Putin to take you out ! If you give me your full details I'll see what I can do.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ukraine

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1