Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

18 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The recapitalisation of Russia's military manufacturing was based on integration of Western electronics.

Oops.

Apparently they have found ways round this. That and China has advanced in  leaps and bounds and has no scruples about supplying anything for a price.

https://theins.ru/en/society/274083

Electronics distribution experts explained to The Insider that the only point at which a sanctions violation can be intercepted is when a general or national distributor sells the goods — after that, no further control can be exercised by the manufacturing company. As long as major distributors take the buyers' word for it — i.e., so long as sellers fail to conduct in-person visits to verify that the circuits are installed in the declared equipment, such as a university computer for calculating Dedekind numbers — sanctions violations will persist.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/The-Big-Story/How-China-s-ad-hoc-tech-pipeline-fuels-Russia-s-Ukraine-war-efforts

The demand from Russia, Hank said, has been incredible. Cut off from Western suppliers, the country needed access to vital computer hardware. Hank was well set up to fill the gap, using the relationships and networks he had built up over years of working in China.

Soon, Hank was making three times the margin in Russia that he was in his home market. "We had always had a steady flow of customers," Hank said. "For the first four or five months, our gross profit was higher than when we sold on Chinese platforms, so we were very motivated." Hank no longer sells on Ozon, he said, preferring to sell directly through distributors in Russia to save on commissions.

18 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Russian T-90M production: less than meets the eye

Very low production by Russia. They lose about 10 tanks a day, of all kinds.

mb-blog-table_russian-batches-of-t-90m-1-1.webp

T-90M and T-14 are the only tanks that have been produced from new recently with T-90M being the only one in 'mass' production.Though the T-14 has never been used in Ukraine to date. Although there was some talks of restarting production for T-80BVM.There's not any need tbh because Russia has thousands of T-72s and T-80s in storage, it's far easier to simply resurface and fix the shell then upgrade the electronics and add modern composite add one with ERA than building from new. So almost everything is refurb or made with scavenged parts. You probably need to add to that the feasability of tanks as an essential part of the inventory in the drone-era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-90

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-14_Armata

https://wiki.warthunder.com/T-80BVM

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I'm sure you are aware of the dwindling stocks of Russian tanks in storage. And the problem that many have been stripped of electronics.

By 2026, Russian tanks will be rare.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/10/putins-one-tank-military-parade-was-an-embarrassment-for-russia.html

0x0.webp.bd0c3b9c79392d40f34111e1f7213e83.webp

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

I'm sure you are aware of the dwindling stocks of Russian tanks in storage. And the problem that many have been stripped of electronics.

By 2026, Russian tanks will be rare.

For Putin to start a war without first building a sufficient supply of armaments was pretty crazy.

Covid and a messianic sense of destiny got to him. He thought they would be welcomed in the home of the Kyivan Rus as liberators. How wrong he was. Nevertheless a post-colonial slavic civil war that the west should have left well alone. If you have a stronger and bigger psycopathic neighbour doff your cap whilst cursing under your breath.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Covid and a messianic sense of destiny got to him. He thought they would be welcomed in the home of the Kyivan Rus as liberators. How wrong he was. Nevertheless a post-colonial slavic civil war that the west should have left well alone. If you have a stronger and bigger psycopathic neighbour doff your cap whilst cursing under your breath.

Or, punch them in the nose.

Remember when Germany was the stronger and bigger psychopathic neighbor attacking Britain? I guess you would have advised the King to surrender.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Remember when Germany was the stronger and bigger psychopathic neighbor attacking Britain? I guess you would have advised the King to surrender.

I would take the example of Northern Ireland and Ireland as a more apposite example. The 6 counties had a British majority and after a bloody war of independecne against the occupying state remained British. Putin would have accepted regional automony for the 4 oblasts and Crimea and an independent Ukraine as the price for settled neighbourly relations. But the EU/US  wouldn't give over trolling the bear in it's own backyard. Traumatised nations do brutal things and suffer from paranoia - you need to tread lightly or be prepared for bloodshed and pain. It's not as if Putin's brutality wasn't known well in advance when we courted him and his oliigarchs for their ill gotten gains. His power will hold in Russia because Russians fear more than anything else societal collapse and the anarchy that follows in the wake of such an event. Watch Traumazone by Adam Curtis - 7 hours of brilliance documenting end of the USSR to the rise of Putin to see what that really means. They have a long way to fall before they are anywhere near that. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_1985–1999:_TraumaZone

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I remember my brother after a visit to Ukraine telling tales of how much the folks he had talked to hated Russia, a visceral hatred. Now transfer that to the border oblasts where a large amount of folks feel divided loyalties and are made to feel second class in their counrty of birth that was once in a union with their neighbours late as the 1990s. Add extreme ultra-nationalist paramilitaries stirring the pot (AZOV  before the whitewashing in every western media publciation) and you have the ingredients for a regional civil war. The west has admitted they were bad faith actors in Minsk buying time and here we are. The worse of all worlds.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/09/08/europe/ukraine-military-morale-desertion-intl-cmd/index.html

CNN spoke to six commanders and officers who are or were until recently fighting or supervising units in the area. All six said desertion and insubordination are becoming a widespread problem, especially among newly recruited soldiers.
Four of the six, including Dima, have asked for their names to be changed or withheld due to the sensitive nature of the topic and because they are not authorized to speak to the media.

“Not all mobilized soldiers are leaving their positions, but the majority are. When new guys come here, they see how difficult it is. They see a lot of enemy drones, artillery and mortars,” one unit commander currently fighting in Pokrovsk told CNN. He also asked to remain anonymous.

2 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I would take the example of Northern Ireland and Ireland as a more apposite example. The 6 counties had a British majority and after a bloody war of independecne against the occupying state remained British. Putin would have accepted regional automony for the 4 oblasts and Crimea and an independent Ukraine as the price for settled neighbourly relations. But the EU/US  wouldn't give over trolling the bear in it's own backyard. Traumatised nations do brutal things and suffer from paranoia - you need to tread lightly or be prepared for bloodshed and pain. It's not as if Putin's brutality wasn't known well in advance when we courted him and his oliigarchs for their ill gotten gains. His power will hold in Russia because Russians fear more than anything else societal collapse and the anarchy that follows in the wake of such an event. Watch Traumazone by Adam Curtis - 7 hours of brilliance documenting end of the USSR to the rise of Putin to see what that really means. They have a long way to fall before they are anywhere near that. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_1985–1999:_TraumaZone

delete

Edited by MicroB

10 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

You probably need to add to that the feasability of tanks as an essential part of the inventory in the drone-era.

I'd say that is the relevant bit. Tanks IMO are as relevant now as the battleship was in 1941, just before technology rendered them useless.

I'm guessing, but cheap, mass produced autonomous fighting machines may be the way of the future. A while ago someone mentioned a robot dog, and I suspect something like that.

7 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I do and I also remember that but for Chamberlain buying time for Churchill to get re armament under way, especially the build up in the airforce, Britain would IMO have fallen to the German machine, the same way the British army in France was destroyed by the Germans.

IMO Britain was lucky to survive. The question you have to answer is "is Ukraine lucky".

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I do and I also remember that but for Chamberlain buying time for Churchill to get re armament under way, especially the build up in the airforce, Britain would IMO have fallen to the German machine, the same way the British army in France was destroyed by the Germans.

IMO Britain was lucky to survive. The question you have to answer is "is Ukraine lucky".

You are missing the point:

I was responding to a Russian talking point that Ukraine had to surrender as Russia is too big and powerful to resist. Like Germany in WW2.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, kwonitoy said:

Would make it easier to read if I was able to open it, but I'm not going to be getting a Reddit app just to do so.

I'll restrict myself to saying that like any tracked vehicle the weak point is the track. Take that out and it becomes a stationary gun mount.

I never had any experience of Bradleys as after my time, but I had extensive experience of the M113. Unfortunately their weak point is apparently that they catch fire if hit by an RPG.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M113_armored_personnel_carrier

PLO ambushes with RPGs caused extensive casualties because of the tendency of the M113's aluminum armor to catch on fire after being hit by anti-tank weapons.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, TedG said:

The people of Ukraine don’t want to live under the thumb of Putin, which is why they fight.  

Yeah, right.

As the battlefield situation deteriorated, an increasing number of troops started to give up. In just the first four months of 2024, prosecutors launched criminal proceedings against almost 19,000 soldiers who either abandoned their posts or deserted, according to the Ukrainian parliament.

It’s a staggering and – most likely – incomplete number. Several commanders told CNN that many officers would not report desertion and unauthorized absences, hoping instead to convince troops to return voluntarily, without facing punishment.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/09/08/europe/ukraine-military-morale-desertion-intl-cmd/index.html

• Confused 1

On 9/6/2024 at 3:51 PM, Bkk Brian said:

Hopefully will stay this way:

Ukraine war latest: Russian advance near Pokrovsk stalled; 60,000 troops pulled to counter Kusrk incursion, Kyiv claims

Ukrainian soldiers have managed to halt the advance of Russian troops in the Pokrovsk sector in Donetsk Oblast, Commander-in-Chief Oleksandr Syrskyi said in an interview with CNN aired on Sept. 5.

The eastern front near Pokrovsk has been the scene of fierce fighting for several months and a focal point of Russia's offensive in Donetsk Oblast. The city is an important logistical hub for Ukrainian forces.

"Over the last six days, the enemy hasn’t advanced a single meter in the Pokrovsk direction. In other words, our strategy is working," Syrskyi said.

https://kyivindependent.com/ukraine-war-latest-russian-advance-near-pokrovsk-stalled-60-000-troops-pulled-to-counter-kusrk-incursion-kyiv-claims/

Pokrovsk has become the epicenter of the fight for Ukraine’s east. Russian forces have been inching towards the city for months, but their advances have sped up in recent weeks as Ukrainian defenses begin to crumble.

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Pokrovsk has become the epicenter of the fight for Ukraine’s east. Russian forces have been inching towards the city for months, but their advances have sped up in recent weeks as Ukrainian defenses begin to crumble.

That same link was posted by another member yesterday, you've just gone and made another 2 posts with it. Oh the desperation of the Putin supporters

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

That same link was posted by another member yesterday, you've just gone and made another 2 posts with it. Oh the desperation of the Putin supporters

Just pointing out the lies of Ukrainian officials (and delusions of some posters).

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, coolcarer said:

Classic Putin apologist, not that it’s any surprise with you prolific propaganda posting on this topic

where as everything posted from the western perspective is factt and not propaganda in any way, shape or form

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1