Best water filter for Bangkok

No surprise, our city water comes from the Chao Phraya. The PVC pipes are close to the surface, not buried as in the West. This means hot water when it's hot. Terrible amount of chlorine (take a breath of your tank).

We have had a stainless steel three stage water filter. Prefer stainless to plastic. Changed the filters--B 1,500. Ceramic center filter is black and slimy. Water tastes like sh**.

Big left filter is some kind of resin beads, right is charcoal, center is ceramic.

Reverse osmosis removes all minerals, not so good for health long-term.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

image.png.c8542d3d7e65d314c9fd017e36e316dd.png

Drink bottled water.  If you live here, find a supplier, RO bottles 18L is 20 baht where we are, not BKK.  We get 5 bottles every so often, for drinking & cooking water.  Delivered, too easy, too cheap.

If don't live here, simply get the 5 or 6 L bottles, cost 30-45, depending who buying from.  7-11 has on the higher end of that price, Makro on the lower end.

• Thanks 1

We've used numerous options in the past.

We've have the water filter, with three filters... (which include activated carbon, reverse osmosis and UV)...

After six months we'd forget to change the filter and when we did it was horribly cruddy...  so the filters are extremly effective, but we may go through more filters if the water source is dirtier.

We now use 'Sprinkle' for our drinking water needs...    I don't like having the large water bottles around but the service is undeniably professional. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just changed our Pure filter system filters after 4 years, the guy said previous house he went to it was 5 years. We don't bother with the UV, previous technician said he does not bother with it and many people don't when it's run out, he claimed not needed. We do drink mineral as well but drank it from the Pure system for years with no problem. Their systems are about 9k baht.

https://www.purefilter.com/product/pure-dm01-uvc/

Edited by proton
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

We've used numerous options in the past.

We've have the water filter, with three filters... (which include activated carbon, reverse osmosis and UV)...

After six months we'd forget to change the filter and when we did it was horribly cruddy...  so the filters are extremly effective, but we may go through more filters if the water source is dirtier.

We now use 'Sprinkle' for our drinking water needs...    I don't like having the large water bottles around but the service is undeniably professional. 

You’re also not absolutely devastating the environment with plastic. I assume you are using those large reusable bottles. I seriously think it should be an international law that every company must deliver water in reusable containers. There is simply no reason not to do this, we obviously can’t leave it up to consumers

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 1:16 PM, impulse said:

Don't drink tapwater.

Bottled water is cheap in Thailand.  And very little chance they'll find a dead Burmese guy in your bottled water tank.

Remember, you asked for a recommendation...

Get a well,pump it into a 2000 liter or more tank.  Before the large 2000 tank,have it filtered for sediment and then run through UV filter.

Tank water should be ok.   Have it pumped directly to your house.

I'd just get bottled water for drinking.

At least they chlorinate your water in Bangkok.   Most everywhere else it's just directly pumped from the river or retention pond which are filthy.   Dog,human,buffalo <deleted>,etc.  we use the city water in Issan for watering the garden and treated well water for showering,toilet,dishes.

Drinking and cooking is strictly bottled water.

Edited by MrJ2U

plastic bottles = microplastics

reverse osmosis = expensive filters that get dirty quickly

when mine broke, I tried those big 1 baht / 1 liter machines

still ok after drinking this for over a year...

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/may/20/microplastics-human-testicles-study-sperm-counts

"What The Study Found. Human testicles contained nearly three times the plastic concentration found in dog testes: 330 micrograms per gram of tissue versus 123 micrograms. Polyethylene, used in plastic bags and bottles, was the most common microplastic found, followed by PVC."

You can't win, whatever you do. Would a water filter filter out microplastics?

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, john donson said:

when mine broke, I tried those big 1 baht / 1 liter machines

still ok after drinking this for over a year...

We've got one in the village but it's dirty on the outside and wonder how often and how well the pipes are cleaned.