New school year, same old story: Thailand’s education system ‘stuck in the past’

webfact

17 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

"accepted at a US college, with full scholarships but they didn't believe my wife planned to return after taking our daughter to the college because I had retired here in Thailand..."   ?

Yessir, formerly assigned at the Embassy too here but we applied for a tourist visa for my wife so she and I could take our daughter back for college...it took over a year of processing for US immigration in the states to approve her going to the states and getting a green card but by then, daughter had already decided to just go to college here...doing an arts degree - concentrating on foreign languages so can only help her as she thinks maybe US govt state dept can only fill 25 % of their foreign-language billets.

• Like 1

Just now, brianthainess said:

My missus makes money from this, great init. Her shop is Just 2 doors away from the School, Chicken Nuggets and Chips, sweet drinks...:giggle::coffee1:

Fair enough we all got to make some money but I don't know if you should be so proud of the fact she's feeding kids junk food.  

• Like 1

Before you can change the way the children are educated. You will need to carryout a radical upgrade to the administration. Followed by a ground up change to how the teachers are trained to be teachers.

Then perhaps the children will be taught to understand the subject rather than just remember it as is the current requirement.

Everyone seems to be focusing on the critical thinking and not be able to question the teachers.   Were as I think the most absurd, ridiculous issue in Thai schools is all students will get a pass mark.  That will make so many students lazy and it will also have Thai students thinking that you can go through life without failing at anything.  When failing is part of life unfortunately.   

• Agree 2

Perhaps that's why getting a job at Starbucks is considered a success in Thailand! While private schools could be an option for expats, they are often unaffordable.

Is educating your children within the Thai school system truly setting them up for success in the long run I wonder or giving them no chance in life which is beyond repair or remedy? 

Its a hard one really !!!

49 minutes ago, paulikens said:

Fair enough we all got to make some money but I don't know if you should be so proud of the fact she's feeding kids junk food.  

I don't pretend to be proud of it, there is a whole row of shops selling kids junk, the food she chose was the only one left that the kids would buy, I don't think tofu burgers would go down very well, if she didn't sell it then others would. Up to her anyway it's her shop.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, brianthainess said:

I don't pretend to be proud of it, there is a whole row of shops selling kids junk, the food she chose was the only one left that the kids would buy, I don't think tofu burgers would go down very well, if she didn't sell it then others would. Up to her anyway it's her shop.

As i said everyone has go to make money one way or the other but it come across as if you was proud of it but i obviously misconstrued your comment.

Edited by paulikens
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So my understanding is they went back to school on Monday, and today Wednesday, is a public holiday, so are the kids not at school again today ?  

The students went back to school last Thursday, 16 May, here in Udon Thani. 🙏 Yes, today is a public holiday, Visakha Bucha. And of course the schools are closed. But my son's teachers presented him some nice homework, so he has something to learn today.

Edited by MikeUdon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Peabody said:

Private schools, plagiarized work, and fake degrees.

nepotism and bribes endemic in LOS recruitment "process".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, freeworld said:

Well, people are in employment in business, banking, govt and the military and are attending and graduating from colleges and universities.

So many when they apply  themselves must be receiving an education.

Put of a population of 75 million, the people you mention is a very small proportion. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, paulikens said:

Most Thai food is junk food- You show me a dish that has any vegetables in it and no processed ingredients.

in any event, the lady is in business to satisfy a ready market.

Could be a lot worse - selling weed!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NobbyClarke said:

Philippine English teachers that students do not understand doesn't help the situation.

How can someone teach English when English is their second language? 

Students need to speak English for all manner of positive reasons.

At Holy Mary Udon Thani School, many teachers from the Philippines are employed. These teachers do not only teach English language but also a variety of other subjects such as Social Science, Maths, Science, Arts, Phonics, Grammar and more. All subjects are also taught in Thai Language by Thai teachers. All of these teachers are highly qualified and possess strong educational backgrounds. While it is true that English is their second language, Filipino teachers are known for their proficiency in English, often using it as a medium of instruction in their own country from an early age. Their comprehensive training and experience make them effective educators, capable of delivering lessons in English with clarity. For many years I had 2 'English speaking' neighbours. One from Australia and one from Scotland. With the Aussie guy it was ok after some time. But the guy from Scotland? Sometimes I had no idea what he was talking about. So did the guy from Australia😅

Edited by MikeUdon
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Here’s my take.. and it’s not a compete “pass” nor a condemnation either… I think when you’re taking about changing an entity like “education” in Thailand - that’s absolutely massive.. consider all tens of thousands of people that it encompasses, the various major divisions (ie OBEC,OHEC,OVCE,etc) and the overall top-down vertical structure that it currently operates under.

Anything with that size, scope, breadth and diversity is going to be hard to change and any change that does come, will most likely be incremental and gradual.

The other thing that I myself don’t see enough of is direct parent involvement.. Yes, I recognize that in many cases the local teachers and school directors hold a great deal of explicit and implicit power - and that can make openingly questioning them a socially difficult thing to do.. but I really do think change will also require parents to have a “seat at the table” as for any change to really take hold will require their buy-in so to speak. 

I do think it can be done.. but as it is with making an aircraft carrier size vessel turn a 180 turn, that’s going to take time, may make some uncomfortable during said transition as new norms are formed and others must come to the table to give input and support.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

image.png

Students returned to school for the new academic year last week – but most found that little had changed in Thailand’s subpar education system.

“Thailand’s education is still stuck in the 2.0 era instead of stepping into the 5.0 era,” prominent educator Assoc Prof Dr Sompong Jitradub commented at the start of the 2024 academic year.

He said the country’s much-hyped educational reforms were mostly physical and focused on things like buildings, cleaner toilets, the hiring of school janitors and administrative staff, as well as higher pay for teachers.

But reforms tackling the essence of education have simply not materialized, he added.

That view is backed by the latest Program for International Student Assessment (PISA), in which Thai children’s academic performance was the lowest since the country joined the program in the early 2000s.

Thai kids scored an average of less than 50% in all subjects assessed by PISA, which is run by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

‘No progress’ under current government

Sompong said the current government has made no real progress since announcing its policy statement eight months ago.

There has neither been real educational reform nor a significant reduction of longstanding educational inequality, he said.

For decades, the performance of rural schools in Thailand has significantly lagged behind their urban counterparts.

“From what I’ve observed, the government has merely been repairing the current education system.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-05-22

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

“From what I’ve observed, the government has merely been repairing the current education system".

It has neither the tools or the parts required to make the repairs. Throw all the money you want at the broken system, but it will never improve until the learn by rote is scrapped, and students can ask questions. Teach them to think, not what to think with teachers who can teach, not someone applying for a cushy job for life.