Android Emulators

I've started playing around with an Android emulator, in this case Android X86.  I'm running it in a Virtualbox VM and I see some potential for its use.

Has anyone else played with Android emulation.  Any recommendations on other emulators regarding ease of use, functionality, and reliability?  And security.

Thoughts? 

44 minutes ago, treetops said:

Bluestacks is the one I see mentioned most often.  No idea how it performs.

I'll give it a look.  Another one I found was BlissOS.

58 minutes ago, treetops said:

Bluestacks is the one I see mentioned most often.  No idea how it performs.

For me, absolutely perfectly, on three W11 PCs. Can install almost any apk.

I use BlueStacks5 for IPTV on the desktop PC. For dev work I use Android Studio. It has quite a sophisticated emulator built in, with profile for specific phones and others that you can create yourself. In a previous life I used Genymotion, but its not free.

9 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

I use BlueStacks5 for IPTV on the desktop PC. For dev work I use Android Studio. It has quite a sophisticated emulator built in, with profile for specific phones and others that you can create yourself. In a previous life I used Genymotion, but its not free.

Bluestacks also has phone profiles built in or createable.

Just now, KannikaP said:

Bluestacks also has phone profiles built in or createable.

I should have mentioned. For professional use, the ads etc on Bluestacks are a no go for me, hence I only use it for IPTV and so the phone profiles are worthless (to me). I fully understand why they have the ads - I don't work for free either.

2 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

I should have mentioned. For professional use, the ads etc on Bluestacks are a no go for me, hence I only use it for IPTV and so the phone profiles are worthless (to me). I fully understand why they have the ads - I don't work for free either.

I get no ads on my Bluestacks. Is it because I use Brave?

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I get no ads on my Bluestacks. Is it because I use Brave?

Possibly. I really mean the startup screen and the desktop area that is there for games and cannot be removed. I often have to screenshare with clients who have no sense of humour or fun. I can't be seen to be using something cost effective. It has to be "enterprise, best-of-breed, industry standard, state-of-the-art" and lots of other phrases that would give you a massive boost on bullsh$t bingo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

I installed Bluestacks yesterday.  Man it's a monster as far as resources and it spreads itself all over Windows.  It took up 7 GB of space.
Plus the interface looks like a Gen-Z Zoomer dream -- games, games, games! But I just wanted a simple, functional Android emulator.  Ended up uninstalling it then spent another 15 minutes cleaning up all of the various software junk that was left behind that the Windows uninstaller didn't uninstall.

I like the concept but as Woof999 remarked, I'd like to see an Android emulation app that is cleaner, less cluttered, not geared to gamers to just to folks needed a simple Android emulator, and as such not such a resource monster.

So far I've also tried running Android x86 and BlissOS in a VM, but either functioned well.  Android x86 had the cleanest interface, BlissOS was a problem to install and run and once I got it installed was unstable.  And on Android x86 I just was unable to get the Android apps I wanted to use to run in that environment.  Maybe someday the emulators will become more robust but we ain't there yet.

Edited by connda

On 5/25/2024 at 7:28 PM, connda said:

I've started playing around with an Android emulator, in this case Android X86.  I'm running it in a Virtualbox VM and I see some potential for its use.

Has anyone else played with Android emulation.  Any recommendations on other emulators regarding ease of use, functionality, and reliability?  And security.

Thoughts? 

Hmmmmm. I thought this was going to be about android sex bots. How disappointing.