National Service in the UK. Good idea or never get off the ground

National Service in the UK   

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If national service is back I don,t think everyone will  be picked.Like thailand not everyone is picked and like turkey or greece it is for 18 mths only.Some will do uni or college and then become junior officer.Will it hurt them I don,t know and it could make them a better citizen.If it was around when i was 18 maybe i would not like it but accept it and do it.I,am sure they will be something to reward  them after the time for doing it who knows.Like vietnam they went but after the GI bill free college and medical when needed in later life.So i would wait and see  if it happens, My amercian friend did it and chose the air force he did not fire gun and had time in asia doing supplies and deliver them.Otherwise he would have being a marine but he served his country and he enjoyed his time back then

On 5/26/2024 at 10:31 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Should be national service at 18 unless you have a job and then specify criteria for a job so people don't play the system

Absolutely agree.

On 5/26/2024 at 10:39 AM, Denim said:

Yes. Look at the protests over the poll tax.  I think the protests that would follow trying to implement this would be on a par. 

Also , the idea of giving some of these reluctant recruits a loaded weapon of any description , even on a range , would likely be a recipe for mayhem.

So? Let them protest. It will be COMPULSORY anyway.

Fat chance of this ever happening, even if the Tories win, which they won't!  

Does anyone think Sunak is deliberately trying to lose the election?  hopefully, he'll finally get something right!

On 5/28/2024 at 11:08 PM, gargamon said:

Oh, but it's so much more fun to point out the idiocy of your posts.

That's against forum rules. Stalking is not permitted.

Thanks for posting that you intend to be a stalker.

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's against forum rules. Stalking is not permitted.

Thanks for posting that you intend to be a stalker.

I point out idiocy in anyone's posts, not just yours. I guess that means I stalk idiots. Sorry you fit the bill so often.

Yes, force them into the army, teach them to shoot anyone they are ordered to shoot. Teach them how to break someone's body parts with their bare hands. Stick that bayonet into the guts of a human and twist it so their intestines flop to the floor.

Then let them back into civilian life.

One step closer to a dystopia.

Spies:  Listened to and tracked 24/7 - yes

The telescreen:  Alert system that overrides phones - yes

Keep the lower classes in a state of poverty and subservience by spending resources on pointless wars - working on it

On 5/27/2024 at 9:15 AM, actonion said:

Ever seen that  "Lads Army" program , that's what this idea will be like. Kids that don't /won't , be told, fighting their superiors, total disaster idea, and i'm sure the  military dont want them.

Military young offenders prisons would be a good starter, do as you're told, or solitary confinement etc.

Ever seen that  "Lads Army" program , that's what this idea will be like. Kids that don't /won't , be told, fighting their superiors, total disaster idea, and i'm sure the  military dont want them.

Military young offenders prisons would be a good starter, do as you're told, or solitary confinement etc.

Agree it wouldn't happen, for a number of teasons. But, yes we need it. The Ukraine war teaches us one thing. You still need a lot of infantry. The UK hardly has any, in a  real war the professional army could only defend about one city and would be out of ammunition and reserves in about one month.

WW1 - UK had a.small professional army (still much larger than today) but it was devastated on the first 3 months. Ot took best part of a year to train and equip a nrw one. And as one poster has said, where is the infrastructure to house and train the conscripts?

I used to live in Hampshire. Aldershot,now nearly a military museum. Bordon - gone. Ordanance supply depots like Liphook - gone. It would take years to build the infrastructure to train all those conscripts.

You cannot start doing all this once a war starts, the war would be over before the first conscipt gets a uniform.

12 months service, learn some useful skills so we have reserve force IF needed. Affordibility? Hell, we encourage 50% of our kids to rack up a 50,000 GBP debt by going to University for 3 years.