Where do gays retire (other than Thailand)?

Message added by Juana Tenderloin,

This is the Gay forum with enhanced Forum Rules - Please observe the Code of Conduct for this forum.

32 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

If people are sincerely interested, would they not check the subforum? I check the subforums I am interested in. 

The gay forum used to interest me a bit because I have some gay friends and family, but I found most of the posters too thin-skinned and the moderation too heavy handed. 

No.

That wouldn't work.

People wouldn't know to look for it.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, oldscool said:

Back on topic, one website suggests

Amsterdam.

Bangkok.

Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Lisbon, Portugal.

Madrid.

Montevideo, Uruguay.

Paris.

Taipei, Taiwan.

Tel Aviv, Israel.  

https://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/baby-boomers/slideshows/the-most-lgbtq-friendly-places-to-retire-overseas

Maybe Greece?

Those are all good and well known but mostly expensive options.

Many gay people have more down to earth budgets.

Again to me the value of the Where Do Gays Retire enterprise.is its inclusion of very not obvious options such as Cleveland and Ajijic.

Regarding that list both Israel and Taiwan lack visa options for retirement.

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Those are all good and well known but mostly expensive options.

Many gay people have more down to earth budgets.

ok. Well Greece and Spain can be inexpensive, but I'm not sure how accessible they are for retirement for non EU citizens. I'm also not sure what people's attitudes might be like out in the sticks.

3 minutes ago, oldscool said:

ok. Well Greece and Spain can be inexpensive, but I'm not sure how accessible they are for retirement for non EU citizens. I'm also not sure what people's attitudes might be like out in the sticks.

That's true that there are more affordable options in Greece and Spain.

However as you suggest the financial visa requirements for both are rather high for non EU people.

If you have the means to regularly fly back to 'home' or wherever the culture is, a lot of place become more bearable, like Jomtien if you can say fly to Melbourne for the theater and cafe every now and then

but then does living half a year in 'cheaper' place save you significant amount to be noticeable?  assuming that you won't rent out your house 'back home'

12 minutes ago, digbeth said:

If you have the means to regularly fly back to 'home' or wherever the culture is, a lot of place become more bearable, like Jomtien if you can say fly to Melbourne for the theater and cafe every now and then

but then does living half a year in 'cheaper' place save you significant amount to be noticeable?  assuming that you won't rent out your house 'back home'

I think that usually makes things much more expensive. Yes I definitely do miss such western cultural amenities. 

The title puzzled me, no doubt out of personal ignorance on my part.

Why would gays need special places to retire? My ignorance might have had me believing that most people and most places are way past the 'homophobia' thing, save for Uganda, Russia and the Middle East. Sadly, I guess that isn't true. Ideally at some point humans will realize gay is no more a choice than one's height. It is just one of a person's many defining traits, deserving of neither praise nor scorn. It simply is.

If I may try to add something to the thread, what about Provincetown, MA? Besides being a lovely seaside area, it has long been open and welcoming to the gay and lesbian communities, which may well form the majority there.

21 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

me believing that most people and most places are way past the 'homophobia' thing,

Well most of our home countries, and may even quite a few others, don't incarcerate gay people any more, and have achieved a good level of equality under the law, though not always complete.

But there's still a huge amount of disparity in the way people are treated day to day. Simple examples, walking hand in hand, kissing in public, are likely to get a sound kicking in many places. In my own home country some towns are renowned for being gay friendly, but most aren't.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldscool said:

Well most of our home countries, and may even quite a few others, don't incarcerate gay people any more, and have achieved a good level of equality under the law, though not always complete.

But there's still a huge amount of disparity in the way people are treated day to day. Simple examples, walking hand in hand, kissing in public, are likely to get a sound kicking in many places. In my own home country some towns are renowned for being gay friendly, but most aren't.

"a sound kicking"? Where is this?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

The title puzzled me, no doubt out of personal ignorance on my part.

Why would gays need special places to retire? My ignorance might have had me believing that most people and most places are way past the 'homophobia' thing, save for Uganda, Russia and the Middle East. Sadly, I guess that isn't true. Ideally at some point humans will realize gay is no more a choice than one's height. It is just one of a person's many defining traits, deserving of neither praise nor scorn. It simply is.

If I may try to add something to the thread, what about Provincetown, MA? Besides being a lovely seaside area, it has long been open and welcoming to the gay and lesbian communities, which may well form the majority there.

Watch the video in the OP and that explains the reasons that gay people often  seek places that will work better for them as gay people than other places.

I totally reject your assertion that sexual identity is a trivial difference. 

Sure P town is extremely gay and great in summer but not great in winter, somewhat isolated, and very expensive. Yeah some gay people do retire there but most people that could afford to wouldn't. 

I have great personal memories there during my peak twink salad days.

Oh if those gay guesthouse rooms could talk.

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I totally reject your assertion that sexual identity is a trivial difference. 

This is a key point. It's really astonishing that people compare it to having ginger hair,  being bald, or smoking dope, each of which I've seen in the last few days, and more.

This is why a private sub-forum is needed. Having to justify oneself to homophobes, conscious or unconscious, is not acceptable on a civilised forum

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, oldscool said:

This is a key point. It's really astonishing that people compare it to having ginger hair,  being bald, or smoking dope, each of which I've seen in the last few days, and more.

This is why a private sub-forum is needed. Having to justify oneself to homophobes, conscious or unconscious, is not acceptable on a civilised forum

I think most people just compare it to being heterosexual. 

3 minutes ago, oldscool said:

Still not sure about going private because I think it would then totally disappear.

But totally agree not only is homophobia a drag but so is being trivialized and having frequent demands to explain ourselves.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think most people just compare it to being heterosexual. 

Bull.

Straight people don't need to come out.

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, JoseThailand said:

What's wrong with Thailand? I think you can't find a better place

Gays can't hold hands or kiss in in public without risking a "sound kicking". 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And there would be not nearly the applause if they did... 

More snarky hostile heckling. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Still not sure about going private because I think it would then totally disappear.

What I'm suggesting is maintaining this subforum as an open forum, and creating a private lgbtq+ subforum.

That way it won't disappear, but there will be a place for lgbtq+ people to discuss things without harassment.  Much in the same way there's a private subforum for women.

Homophobia and misogyny are symptoms of the same mentality a lot of the time. It will also reduce moderation overhead.

1 minute ago, JoseThailand said:

Then why did you create this thread?

It's a discussion topic. Thailand is indeed one of the places that gays retire to but its interesting to some particularly the intellectually curious to know about other places in our world.

If the topic doesn't interest you feel welcome to ignore it.

1 minute ago, connda said:

Brazil

Brazil is a mixed bag.

Of course it has masses of gay people in the cities and such a vibrant culture but its notorious for violent crimes against them.

Well I had a good time in Rio anyway except when I was mugged ih broad daylight.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/democraciaabierta/violencia-anti-lgbtq-brasil-en/

Posted (edited)

Cape Town is a great place to retire.

Sightseeing is a must.  Last month I travelled up to Table mountain and wow, what a view.

Plenty of beaches, shops (Woolworths).

Accommodation.  I stayed with my brother in his villa in Somerset West.

A truly great place in SA for normal and gay people.

Edited by anchadian
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's a discussion topic. Thailand is indeed one of the places that gays retire to but its interesting to some particularly the intellectually curious to know about other places in our world.

If the topic doesn't interest you feel welcome to ignore it.

All good. Gay friendliness is one of the characteristics of civilized countries. Interesting topic indeed.

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Cape Town is a great place to retire.

Sightseeing is a must.  Last month I travelled up to Table mountain and wow, what a view.

Plenty of beaches, shops (Woolworths).

Accommodation.  I stayed with my brother in his villa in Somerset West.

A truly great place to retire,

What about the crime satiation? Isn't South Africa one of the worst in the world? 

1 minute ago, JoseThailand said:

What about the crime satiation? Isn't South Africa one of the worst in the world? 

Correct, but I'm talking about Cape Town where there is very little crime.