Big Thailand visa changes from June 1

Just now, ChaiyaTH said:

wait what, extensions would still be 30 right

Yeah. Perhaps. Probably. Maybe. Aren't arrival 'visas' extensions as well?

Perhaps you can even get the 5 year validity visa multiple times and just use it until they scrap it again. Would be awesome.

I am excited nevertheless!

• Confused 4

Several posts regarding taxes has been removed. Use the tax threads for taxes. This thread is for new visa issues ONLY.

Off topic posts will be removed without notice.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Read the opening post of the topic for the changes.

Yes, I read that, I was looking for confirmation from a reliable source in case I, or others read things wrong....😉

• Sad 1

As a Canadian living in Laos with two land crossings per calendar year as of the moment, does this affect me? Can I now cross back and forth? I don't see anything that changes my situation, and all the other falangs I know.

Posted (edited)

In short:
Desperate activism, to gather more tourist dollars.
Seems to be the “last resort”.
Mainly, regarding short term visits.
Regarding long term stay, or EOS nothing really new.
Old cooked up stuff, in a new box.
Like always, there'll be coming a lot of changes, exceptions, in the small print.
No reason to cheer, no reason to panic. Just reasons to speculate.

“Hot air”, until I see it on the official Immigration Web Page.
Knowing, that it will take time, until any new conditions “reached” all the 70+ IOs.
Beside the usual, individual modifications of the procedure on a daily basis.

Edited by Maitdjai
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Cereal said:

As a Canadian living in Laos with two land crossings per calendar year as of the moment, does this affect me? Can I now cross back and forth? I don't see anything that changes my situation, and all the other falangs I know.

Yes, but max 2 times per year, 60 days entry per time.

2 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

I will wait for their letter once it arrives at my doorstep. So. Well. You know. The thing. Won't arrive.

There are many ways to avoid/evade that will not cause you many problems.

But if you do ignore and get caught then there are some very painful lessons to be learned about why 'I should have .......'.

They wont send a letter - they will either ban you entering (and that goes on your EPassport record to all countries) or they will nab you on your next visit. 

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Quite the contrary, I believe that mixed marriages benefit Thailand on countless levels, they may end up eroding some of the traditions which I believe is a good thing, but in addition they open the minds of women, expose them to the world, instill a sense of creativity and curiosity, and provide many additional benefits.

Granted the powers that be are likely very scared of those changes, and don't want any changes, but that does not change the truth. The truth is that change and progress is very positive on a lot of levels. 

You been to Sweden lately?  Got a mate who is leaving this year forever. He has 2 male friends who have already left last/this. There are many Scandinavians in Thailand who will tell you you are wrong.  Pop over to Hus Hin and talk to them about the difference between your 'progressive' views and reality. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I read in the original Khaosodenglish.com story :- 

Medium-term measures:  It will be implemented from September to December 2024.

Restructuring and reducing the number of Non-Immigrant visa categories from 17 to 7, starting in September 2024.
Adjusting the criteria and conditions for the Long Stay visa for elderly people who wish to spend their retirement in Thailand, starting in September 2024.
Reducing the health insurance requirement for Non-Immigrant visa (O-A) from 3,000,000 baht to pre-COVID-19 levels: 40,000 baht for outpatients and 400,000 baht for inpatients.
Expanding the e-Visa service from 47 to 94 Thai embassies, consulates, and trade and economic offices worldwide by December 2024.

I wonder what changes they are comteplating regarding Long Stay Retirement Visas - anyone have any ideas??

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

There are many ways to avoid/evade that will not cause you many problems.

But if you do ignore and get caught then there are some very painful lessons to be learned about why 'I should have .......'.

They wont send a letter - they will either ban you entering (and that goes on your EPassport record to all countries) or they will nab you on your next visit. 

You been to Sweden lately?  Got a mate who is leaving this year forever. He has 2 male friends who have already left last/this. There are many Scandinavians in Thailand who will tell you you are wrong.  Pop over to Hus Hin and talk to them about the difference between your 'progressive' views and reality. 

Well it largely depends upon the woman and how open-minded she is. Mine is very open-minded and she loves progress and change. Many are traditional, very bull-headed and stubborn and totally resistant to change. That's on them, that's not on me, that's not on you, that's not on any of us. 

And it is also on us to take the time getting to know them, to determine whether or not we have an open-minded woman who is willing to embrace progress in her life, or one who wants to sit still and never change. Only time will tell and sometimes that takes years and a lot of patience. It is worth it, if you find a really good one. 

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

VIDEO UPDATE: Significant Changes to Thai Visa Policies: From June 1, Thailand will expand visa-free entry to 93 countries, extend stays to 60 days, and increase visa-on-arrival countries to 31. New five-year visas for digital nomads and others will be introduced, with reduced health insurance requirements for retirees.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Well it largely depends upon the woman and how open-minded she is. Mine is very open-minded and she loves progress and change. Many are traditional, very bull-headed and stubborn and totally resistant to change. That's on them, that's not on me, that's not on you, that's not on any of us. 

And it is also on us to take the time getting to know them, to determine whether or not we have an open-minded woman who is willing to embrace progress in her life, or one who wants to sit still and never change. Only time will tell and sometimes that takes years and a lot of patience. It is worth it, if you find a really good one. 

Mike - you are talking about a western male and a Thai woman?  You think your and mine 'inter-racial' marriage successes, mean all inter-racial marriages, including from males in 'less than desirable' countries now approved for Visa free entry are good?  Or did you mean from 'desirable' countries - like those previously approved - in which case, then I agree with you. 

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The newly added countries comprise ........... China, India,..........................

Oh dear! With 60 days free entry, watch out Pattaya and Phuket (both in particular) are tidal waves about to form? Your favourite bar stool may not be so in the future.

Posted (edited)

Please post a link to a list of all 93 visa-free countries for Thailand and a list of 31 visa-on-arrival countries.

Edited by Farangus

Reminder:

Off topic posts, banter and other unrelated stuff in this visa related thread will be removed without warning, plus moderating team will issue warnings/suspensions.

Thanks! 🙏

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AreYouGerman said:

Yeah. Perhaps. Probably. Maybe. Aren't arrival 'visas' extensions as well?

Perhaps you can even get the 5 year validity visa multiple times and just use it until they scrap it again. Would be awesome.

I am excited nevertheless!

I suppose you could arrive and get 60 days, do a border bounce for another 60 and then extend at immigration for a further 30. Total 150 days.

How many times immigration would let you do that is another story!

5 hours ago, Hatoey said:

It's been on Thai Gov site since last night, was going to post it then but you need to wait for accounts to be approved on this forum!

https://www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/83599

Google translate of this Thai Govt. page (unofficial):

The Cabinet meeting resolved to approve in principle the implementation of measures and guidelines for visa facilitation to stimulate the economy and tourism of Thailand in all 3 phases.

Today (28 May 2024) Mr. Chai Watcharong, spokesman for the Prime Minister's Office, revealed that today (28 May 2024) the Cabinet meeting resolved to approve in principle the implementation of measures and guidelines for facilitating visas for Stimulate the economy and tourism of Thailand in all 3 phases as proposed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (FOR).  

A spokesman for the Prime Minister's Office said that in the past Thailand has not improved visa measures and guidelines for 22 years. At present, the world situation, both economic and social, has changed. Therefore, in order to keep up with the current world situation, Therefore, it is necessary to review visa measures and guidelines to be flexible and agile. which is easy to check and facilitates travelers entering Thailand Including that most countries have begun to implement new technology. come to use the service more The measures and guidelines for visa inspection that the Ministry of Elections has proposed in 3 phases can be summarized as follows.  

1.) Short-term measures (consisting of 5 measures, starting in June 2024) include:

1.1 Granting visa exemption rights Able to stay in Thailand for no more than 60 days (Por.60) is a unilateral Thai measure. And the criteria for considering the granting of Por.60 rights will take into account the principle of reciprocal treatment. Dimension of politics and international relations Security dimension Tourism dimension Economic dimension and obligations that Thailand has agreed upon both bilaterally and multilaterally, totaling 93 countries/territories, consisting of (1) 57 countries/territories that originally received Pho.30 rights According to the announcement of the Ministry of Interior and (2) add 36 new countries/territories that receive Por.30 rights.

1.2 Granting Visa on Arrival (VOA) rights is a unilateral measure by Thailand. And the criteria for considering the granting of VOA rights will take into account the principle of reciprocity in politics and international relations. Security dimension Tourism dimension Economic dimension and the absence of an embassy or consulate-general located in that country

1.3 Add a new type of visa, Destination Thailand Visa (DTV), for foreigners who have skills and work remotely through the digital system (remote worker or digital nomad) who wish to stay in Thailand to work and travel at the same time. with employers and customers abroad It is also a destination for foreigners who want to do cultural activities and use medical services. However, Thailand does not yet have a visa that supports this group of foreigners. This is a group of people who have potential and will be beneficial to the development of the country.

1.4 Improving rights for international students studying at the bachelor's degree level or above. that has been inspected Non-Immigrant Visa, code ED, which is a convenience for international students who are studying or about to graduate from higher education in Thailand. To attract people with potential and skills into the country's labor market 1.5 A Visa Policy Committee should be appointed to be an important mechanism for determining Thailand's visa policy.  

2.) Medium-term measures (consisting of 3 measures starting September - December 2024) include:

1. Group and reduce the code for controlling temporary resident visas. (Non-Immigrant) from the original 17 codes, remaining 7 codes, which will begin operations within September 2024.

2. Adjust the criteria and conditions for receiving a Long Stay visa for the elderly who wish to spend their final years in Thailand. It will begin operations by September 2024. 3 Expand the opening of electronic visa services (e-Visa). Currently, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs provides the e-Visa system at 47 embassies/consulates general out of a total of 94 locations, accounting for 50 percent. The e-Visa system will be expanded. Visa covers the embassy. Consulate General and all Thai trade and economic offices around the world By December 2024  

3.) Long-term measures (Coming into full use in June 2025) is the development of the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) system for groups of foreigners who have visa exemption rights. It is the use of technology and innovation to increase the efficiency of screening foreigners. By integrating data links with the Immigration Bureau   A spokesman for the Prime Minister's Office said that the benefits from the measures and guidelines proposed this time will promote tourism and stimulate the economy of Thailand that has been affected by the COVID-19 outbreak. And in order to increase the ability to compete with foreign countries that use visa facilitation as a measure to attract tourists as follows:

1. The number of foreign tourists able to enter Thailand has increased through visa exemption measures, visas at permitted channels of immigration checkpoints, new types of visas since June 2024, which is during the tourist season. of the Gulf of Thailand To be an important mechanism in achieving the government's total tourist revenue target.

2. Foreign groups with potential, such as digital nomads and other groups, are interested in coming to stay in Thailand for both tourism. and use it as a remote workplace This will create opportunities for these potential groups to consider doing business in Thailand in the long term. As a result, Thailand is a center for people with potential in various fields to live and do business in Thailand. Help create and distribute income It will also create more employment and technology transfer.

3. Support Thailand as a center for international education. Some higher education institutions start the semester in June. As a result, a number of foreign students are interested in coming to study at the higher education level in Thailand. Before the start of the academic year 2024   The Ministry of Finance has prepared an estimate of the loss of income and expected benefits according to Sections 27 and 32 of the State Fiscal Discipline Act, B.E. 2018, which can be summarized as follows.

- Determination of the list of countries and territories where holders of passports or documents in lieu of passports temporarily enter the Kingdom for tourism, work or short-term business contacts. Exempted from visas and allowed to stay in the Kingdom for no more than 60 days as a special case, a total of 93 nationalities will lose national income of approximately 12,300 million baht per year (compared to the number of tourists of 93 nationalities in 2023 ) divided into Visa on Arrival (VOA) fees of 4.5 million people (4,000 million baht), tourist visa fees (TR) of 3,300 million baht.

- In the case of facilitating international students who are studying or about to complete their higher education in Thailand. By canceling the request for permission to re-enter the Kingdom (Re-Entry Permit) that students must submit to the Immigration Office every time before leaving Thailand. It is estimated that the state will lose about 152 million baht in national revenue from the number of foreign students at higher education in Thailand in 2023, approximately 40,000.

-- https://www.thaigov.go.th/ 2024-05-28 (Google Translate - unoffical translation)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

hmmmm as my 30 days stamp ends may 31st and have to extend on friday ..so i would miss the 60 days by one day???? 😞

No, the increase from 30 to 60 days is only for the visa exempt entry, so you missed it by 30 days

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1