Red Bull Heiress Sues for Defamation Over Son’s Hit-and-Run Scandal

webfact

1 minute ago, digger70 said:

Red Bull Heiress Sues for Defamation Over Son’s Hit-and-Run Scandal 

Pretty stupid to let this happen .
Tell him to go to hell and bring his son  Back to justice in Thailand. 

Defamation , my @ss

"Pretty stupid to let this happen."

Pretty stupid to slander Chalerm!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, john donson said:

laws made by the lazy, corrupt monopolies where even an honest review or a comment can get you fined and in jail for defamation, where even the truth cannot be used as defense...

that and laws with 15 years jail for the one that cannot be mentioned 

Yet you voluntarily placed yourself here and made yourself subject to them?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, BKKBike09 said:
11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Three million, by agreement with the family of the officer.

Hmm. "By agreement with the family of the officer". You think they had any real choice in the matter?

I'm sure that they could have asked for more but I'm not sure that the family of an officer who was not married with dependents would have got more.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The mind boggles...  Any civilised country looks at this and thinks 'banana republic'....

Overseas businesses must be questioning if this is truly the legal system of a country in which they want to invest.

Indeed, the mind does boggle.   There's no reason for any foreign businessmen to have any problem with a country in which suing for slander (which is what this suit is about) is permitted, something that their own countries undoubtedly also allow.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 4

12 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Doubtless you have an example of retaliatory compensation being awarded for damages arising from proven allegations?

Go fetch.

Didn't think that you'd have much...I was right.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I wonder how the usual AN suspects, who spend so much of their time here comprehensively slagging-off the corrupt RTP as a whole, would be reacting if it had turned out that the officer who died in the accident, of whom they know nothing, was, in fact, one of the most corrupt and abusive in the force?   I'm not saying that he was but I am suggesting that there's a massive amount of hypocrisy swilling around this subject from those, er, hypocrites.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

In a more liberal , less autocratic country , this ridiculous defamation law would not even exist . In this country it is nothing but a tool to silence the opposition and opinions that differ .

Here , you can , and will , be jailed for just expressing your personal view , even if that is correct and supported by facts .

Shame .

Absolutely ridiculous situation, and just one of those reasons why Thailand will never be taken seriously by the West as a potential "World Player" (Whatever that is?)

And did I not see recently that Thailand has dropped down the charts as a potential holiday destination for many people? 

Also, I wonder whether we would have heard if the money/bribe had been accepted? I think not! 🙂 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Purdey said:

I guess it proves that if you don't have a witness, documentary evidence, admission of guilt, then defaming someone isn't a good idea.

In Thailand it doesn't matter whether you have that. You have dirtied his name, guilty as charged. Whether it is founded on rock-hard evidence is completely irrelevant. Just another example of Thailand being a third world banana republic where the truth is worth nothing at all.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wonder how much Thailand's development is hindered by such cronyism. Neighboring countries demonstrate even more severe cronyism and corruption, leading to their lesser development.

Notice how the poorest countries in the region are the most corrupt, and the richest are the least corrupt? It isn't by chance. Of course, those with the largest overseas bank accounts don't care about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Very many on this thread are confusing the kid fleeing the country, and the accusation that another member of the family paid a bribe to officials to look the other way. The legal action that this thread is about only concerns the latter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Foreign Jim said:

The Redbull heir is a massive POS. He was coked up and killed a police officer by dragging him to his death with his <deleted> sports car.  <deleted> him and his entire family.

C'mon mate.. get it off your chest.. say what you feel.....

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Chalerm Yoovidhya, the son of the Red Bull co-founder, has initiated legal proceedings against a TV presenter and a former police lieutenant colonel for defamation, demanding compensation of 50 million baht.

The accusations revolve around statements suggesting he used 300 million baht to influence the legal process surrounding his son Vorayuth ‘Boss’ Yoovidhya, who was involved in a fatal hit-and-run incident.

In the case presented by Chalerm's lawyer, Ampol Kaewpan, the allegations are directed at Ubonrat Thao Noi, a TV host, and Police Lieutenant Colonel Sanit Mahathavorn. Both are accused of making defamatory statements on a television programme that implied Chalerm bribed officials to help his son evade justice.

Vorayuth Yoovidhya, commonly known as 'Boss,' was implicated in a 2012 hit-and-run accident that resulted in the death of a police officer. Boss subsequently fled the country in a private jet, igniting widespread criticism about the privilege and impunity enjoyed by the rich in Thailand.

Chalerm's lawsuit is centred on a broadcast aired on 29 February, where the host claimed his 300 million baht efforts failed to aid his son significantly. The programme's segments were shared extensively on TikTok, garnering over 1.4 million views, which Chalerm’s legal team contends has severely damaged his reputation.

The lawsuit seeks not only financial compensation but also public apologies from the defendants. Chalerm demands these apologies be published on social media and in major Thai newspapers for seven consecutive days, along with the removal of the defamatory content.

The case has been accepted by the Criminal Court, with a preliminary examination hearing scheduled for 2 September. Ampol states that the 50 million baht defamation suit reflects the gravity of the false accusations and Chalerm's standing. He further specifies that similar actions will be taken against anyone disseminating false information.

This legal action highlights Chalerm’s determination to protect his family’s reputation and address what he perceives as widespread misinformation surrounding his son’s case.

Picture courtesy: Matichon Weekly

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-29

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

They may be rich, but the Thai community revile them as a family who will not allow a prosecution of their Son, who killed a Policeman. 

They should act with their heads held high, they know how!

Edited by Pdavies99

4 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

People who are not guilty do not take a plane out of Thailand and never return. 

Ridiculous lawsuit and disrespectful to all Thai people et al to think he is not guilty 

I think the defamation is not that his son is guilty but that he paid tb300 million in bribery to certain people to make the problem go away.. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cabradelmar said:

The lack of self awareness has reached new levels. And that's saying a lot when talking about Thailand. The man kills a cop and flees the country to evade justice. As far as I'm concern the entire red bull family can pissoff.

Are you happy to be held responsible for the actions of your children, siblings or parents? Why should this parent?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1