I was bored out of my mind in Pattaya

Just now, JimTripper said:

So you drink at the same bar each time?

Not much of a drinker. Do you drink a lot? I would mainly drink with my partner. Why don't you get a partner. Then you would likely enjoy Thailand more. Most of the unhappy expats are single. Going to restaurants and bars alone would be boring.

1 minute ago, susanlea said:

Not much of a drinker. Do you drink a lot? I would mainly drink with my partner. Why don't you get a partner. Then you would likely enjoy Thailand more. Most of the unhappy expats are single. Going to restaurants and bars alone would be boring.

Too expensive. It basically doubles my expenses.

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

Too expensive. It basically doubles my expenses.

How so? Bar drinks are expensive. You eat out a lot. Get a partner, eat cheap food, go for walks on the beach. Join a cheap gym. Watch movies on tv. Having a partner would often be cheaper as you can stay in room more.

27 minutes ago, susanlea said:

How so? Bar drinks are expensive. You eat out a lot. Get a partner, eat cheap food, go for walks on the beach. Join a cheap gym. Watch movies on tv. Having a partner would often be cheaper as you can stay in room more.

Well, let's see. Men are expected to pay, typically. So if I go out for a meal that costs 150 baht, it doubles to 300 or so. Times that by 2 or 3 times per day, every day. Thst's just for meals. I think Thailand is getting more westernized though, maybe more people around willing to go dutch these days.

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Well, let's see. Men are expected to pay, typically. So if I go out for a meal that costs 150 baht, it doubles to 300 or so. Times that by 2 or 3 times per day, every day. Thst's just for meals. I think Thailand is getting more westernized though, maybe more people around willing to go dutch these days.

Do you just use your hand for entertainment?

18 hours ago, susanlea said:

How does that work in LOS? Most non BGs would have a job. How many will pay to be a partner of a farang? How many can take unlimited time off work?

18 hours ago, susanlea said:

Speak for yourself. I never minded going to a restaurant by myself. It's not like I had scintillating conversations when I had a female dining companion.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

You can go somewhere like Canterbury Tales bookshop cafe and there used to be farang expats who would sit there ALL day to chat with others as they were all bored <deleted>less 

Some everyday 

But Susan is right , you need a PARTNER if your moving to Asia to retire 

It's going to be Lonely...boring ...depressing...sad ....without !!!

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How does that work in LOS? Most non BGs would have a job. How many will pay to be a partner of a farang? How many can take unlimited time off work?

Good point, not many Thai's are retired and they would be much older. That means if they are not working they are going to want money from you at some point.

On the other hand, if you're dating someone who is working, you're going to be alone (or working yourself) a lot of the time anyway.

The lifestyles and interests are fairly different between those two things. So you could be retired and dating working women but there may not be much in common. For example, you're sitting around the pool with beers when she gets off work and may not want to hear about her day at work. Or, when you goto a dinner party and people ask what you do you tell them I sit by the pool and drink all day and they all sneer at you.

Edited by JimTripper

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Speak for yourself. I never minded going to a restaurant by myself. It's not like I had scintillating conversations when I had a female dining companion.

I always go with a male pal, and unlike my wife, I don't have to pay for his meal.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always go with a male pal, and unlike my wife, I don't have to pay for his meal.

He could be cranking later on though.

Edited by JimTripper

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Good point, not many Thai's are retired and they would be much older. That means if they are not working they are going to want money from you at some point.

On the other hand, if you're dating someone who is working, you're going to be alone (or working yourself) a lot of the time anyway.

The lifestyles and interests are fairly different between those two things. So you could be retired and dating working women but there may not be much in common. For example, you're sitting around the pool with beers when she gets off work and may not want to hear about her day at work. Or, when you goto a dinner party and people ask what you do you tell them I sit by the pool and drink all day and they all sneer at you.

Food is cheap. Find a part time worker.

16 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

You can go somewhere like Canterbury Tales bookshop cafe and there used to be farang expats who would sit there ALL day to chat with others as they were all bored <deleted>less 

Some everyday 

But Susan is right , you need a PARTNER if your moving to Asia to retire 

It's going to be Lonely...boring ...depressing...sad ....without !!!

Rubbish. Speak for yourself. I had no problem living in Chiang Mai by myself for a year. I'd checked before moving in that it was guest friendly, but the bar girls in C M were so average that I didn't bother.

BTW, I was surprised that so many hotels in C M are not guest friendly.

16 hours ago, JimTripper said:

That's what it was like with my wife. I liked that I had my own space while she was working.

Or, when you goto a dinner party and people ask what you do you tell them I sit by the pool and drink all day and they all sneer at you.

Easily solved- don't go to dinner parties, or lie.

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Rubbish. Speak for yourself. I had no problem living in Chiang Mai by myself for a year. I'd checked before moving in that it was guest friendly, but the bar girls in C M were so average that I didn't bother.

Most guys that like Pattaya can't stand CM because the code on acceptable behavior still lingers in the North.

• Thumbs Up 1

You don't seem to know much about it.

Know a lot more than you. Also know the Thai beaches better than you. Done the beaches with a partner a lot recently. You are sitting in NZ telling people about Thailand from 2010.

Chiang Mai hotels are guest friendly as far as I know. I don't think many hotels have policies against a second person. Normally they just want ID from all people staying but I would say half don't ask. They only want ID from the one paying. I have checked in some hotels without any ID as it was paid online. One condo they had no front office staff at night and key was left in secret spot.

I think most of your ideas are based on pre 2010. Thailand has changed a lot. Most people book and pay online now. Check in fast and most hotels don't ask questions.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, susanlea said:

Chiang Mai hotels are guest friendly as far as I know. I don't think many hotels have policies against a second person. Normally they just want ID from all people staying but I would say half don't ask. They only want ID from the one paying. I have checked in some hotels without any ID as it was paid online. One condo they had no front office staff at night and key was left in secret spot.

I think most of your ideas are based on pre 2010. Thailand has changed a lot. Most people book and pay online now. Check in fast and most hotels don't ask questions.

Phuket hotels seem 'on the ball'. Always insist upon my passport even though the booking might be under my Thai wife's name. A week yesterday checked into a Phuket hotel and they required my passport and ID cards of my Mrs, neice and a friend who went with us.

1 hour ago, susanlea said:

ID stuff has gotten worse since 2010, not better. Many more immigration hoops now then before. You don't seem to know what you are talking about, or you are only mentioning exceptions because you liked the exception.

5 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Phuket hotels seem 'on the ball'. Always insist upon my passport even though the booking might be under my Thai wife's name. A week yesterday checked into a Phuket hotel and they required my passport and ID cards of my Mrs, neice and a friend who went with us.

Phuket is full of Russians and sex tourists. Probably get far more dodgy characters. More likely to get room damage and noise complaints.

5 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

ID stuff has gotten worse since 2010, not better. Many more immigration hoops now then before. You don't seem to know what you are talking about, or you are only mentioning exceptions because you liked the exception.

I'm talking about hotels not immigration. Immigration is actually quicker for tourists now. No card to fill in. 30 days is moving to 60 days.

Your comments only apply to long term stays but Thailand has introduced a new 5 year visa. I read the cost was 10,000 baht.

13 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

This started June 1

https://skift.com/2024/05/30/thailand-expands-visa-free-entry-93-nations-now-qualify/