Thailand Visa Exemption (60 days) and Visa On Arrival (VOA) (15 days)

42 minutes ago, Deserted said:

If you get the 60 day exemption, as I did today, is it extended by another 60 days for 1900, like it was when they gave 30 day visas?

What I have read, it's only 30-day extension, can do one border run, and get another 60 after that

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 5:32 PM, WHansen said:

Is it just a case of now buying my return flight and turn up at the airport ?

Do i need any of the old documents with me that would have been uploaded to the Thai Visa site, like rental agreement etc ?

A flight out of Thailand (does not have to be "return") is likely needed to board your plane.  

If you are questioned upon-entry, it also helps with that process - and proof of where you will stay could also be demonstrated, as well as 20K Baht worth of cash to show. 

How likely you are to be questioned at all depends on how much time you spend in Thailand and how often.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

So it's pretty much confirmed that I'm probably not gonna have trouble crossing the border for third time this year, right? Has anyone tried the Chiang Khong border in such situation?

Are the extensions still same - so I should be able to get extra 30+60 by getting the standard extension, followed by Family Extension?

4 hours ago, Santzes said:

So it's pretty much confirmed that I'm probably not gonna have trouble crossing the border for third time this year, right? Has anyone tried the Chiang Khong border in such situation?

Are the extensions still same - so I should be able to get extra 30+60 by getting the standard extension, followed by Family Extension?

You shouldn't have a problem entering visa exempt overland a 3rd time.

Extensions remain the same, yes.

• Like 1

Multiple 60 day visa exemptions.

I wish to spend 5.5 months in Thailand and I am wondering if this is feasible.

Fly in to BKK and get a 60 day on arrival.

Get a 30 day extension at my local Immigration in Isan.

Exit at a local land crossing then re enter with a new 60 day or fly out to Hanoi for a short trip then return and obtain the new 60 day visa exemption?  I would then have to obtain a second 1900 baht 30 day extension.

Will the airlines allow me to fly out of Canada with a 5.5 month ticket without a normal Thai tourist visa?

Thanks

29 minutes ago, gerry1953 said:

Exit at a local land crossing then re enter with a new 60 day or fly out to Hanoi for a short trip then return and obtain the new 60 day visa exemption?  I would then have to obtain a second 1900 baht 30 day extension.

Will the airlines allow me to fly out of Canada with a 5.5 month ticket without a normal Thai tourist visa?

Thanks

You won't find out until you try.  It's unpredictable and you'll have as many people tell you you don't need one as will tell you you do.  Only way to be certain is buy or rent an onward ticket.

1 hour ago, gerry1953 said:

Thanks

ask the airline NOT here
if they require< use 

https://bookonwardticket.com/

On 8/23/2024 at 10:48 AM, Santzes said:

It may pay to have a read of the below and keep checking back again and again 🙂

>>  https://aseannow.com/topic/1336345-lao-borders-some-at-least-now-requiring-overnight-stay/page/2/#comment-19178223

Hi all,

Sorry guys, I know this has been done to death, but I have started hearing about issues on 3rd VE entries in the last week, and looking for latest ground truth!

I have had 2 VE holidays in Thailand in the last 4 months. Both genuine 2 week holidays,  Flying into BKK and out from Phuket. No issues.
I have a 3rd planned for next month, flying in to DMK from Singapore and out from Phuket on to Bali.  Again, a genuine 2 week holiday in Thailand. 

I fly on a UK passport.
I asked UK Thai embassy for clarification of rules, but they don't seem to know. 
I emailed Thai immigration for clarification of rules, but they don't respond

Applying for an e-visa apparently I need to prove I am coming to Thailand from my home  country - I live a pretty nomadic existance, don't really have a home! So not an option.

My biggest fear is that Thai immigration refuse me entry and send me to the UK. Which would be very inconvenient as all my future travel plans for the next few months are in SE Asia. 

Should I have any concerns at all about getting in to Thailand, or should I just go to Malaysia instead? 

You guys on here seem pretty clued up, so looking for advice based on the latest info.

3 hours ago, Exit23 said:

Hi all,

Sorry guys, I know this has been done to death, but I have started hearing about issues on 3rd VE entries in the last week, and looking for latest ground truth!

If that's your history and you have 20k cash to show there's 0% chance you'll be sent anywhere unless you decide to defecate on the Immigration desk.

• Like 1

Visa exempt only if you dont exceed 60 days.

How it this according to the statement of Naruchai Ninnad?

They changed again? As he stated, you could easily come in and extend at IO for 30 days.

If I fly with a big company to Thailand, I cant have return ticket for 5 month period in Thailand with NO visum. The company will block me then to fly?! This would be since long time, but never knew.

Was pointed to this in other forum.

I never had a problem, so visum and flight were ok, it seems.

Most probably they are linked somehow, flight and visum.

The flying company as IO for Thailand.

If I type dates, 5 months apart, there is no pop up showing  for the use of a visum then.

Way deep down in the site, there is a link to click on and you are directed to check.

And then you see, you are not allowed to fly in this way.

Sweet, they let me book (didnt try ) but when I want to fly, they hold me? Bye bye flight and money?! And send you back home !?

With a one way flight, you arent stopped, but they tell you, you could have a problem, entering Thailand. Stating you should have an onward ticket to make that work.

Or a booking of hotel outside Thailand? Is that prove?

In the VOA, I see you MUST have a paid ,flying ticket out of Thailand then.

That would be the same as in the VE? OR could you do by showing hotel booking out of Thailand?

Weird a flying ticket is a necessity to go out of Thailand? , as you can go out ..walking. 

Another big flying company, let you download a form and it has to be signed specific at the take in, before flight.

It is a contract in which you decline all responsibilities for the flying company.

So one is blocking? But not direct say so.

And the other one is saying ok, but at your own risk with a signed contract?

If you do have a visum, then it is ok to fly. They dont bother about time then.

You have a visum. But you cant have profit of VE at first.

IO has no problems with it then entering Thailand? As he will see, you have non o 90 days, but leaving after 5 months. He accepts that? As the rule is, IO decides.

So why not then with VE and however you get your extension then from VE?

As they say, cant exceed 60 days.

So first, for 5 months, I must have 90days non O, cant have VE on this time span.

There are not many rules with non o 90days. An METV has more demands, at least last year.

Though I tried and when I put pic in, it says "skin tone should be natural"

wtf is that? So i tried lighter, darker, brighter, sharper, no way, Jose.

Then it must be something in the EXIF of pic, which blocks it.? I took a copy of last year pic with some computer work, but finally noticed then there is no EXIF. And that one should be in? Telling which software was used

So cost me again at photographer, as there are more demands on the pic.

It is not just the average pic, like they take when you are in front of IO.

And again what is IO going to conclude. He accepts 90 days non o and return ticket after 5 months?

I can do a border hop after 90 days and then have a VE for 60 days!? With extension then for 30 days at IO, if I decide 6 months?

Then again, do you have to stay out of Thailand for one day? Tod Daniels shows evidence of not.

However Thailand keeps stirring in all and change every time and make all unclear.

4 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

And again what is IO going to conclude. He accepts 90 days non o and return ticket after 5 months?

I can do a border hop after 90 days and then have a VE for 60 days!? With extension then for 30 days at IO, if I decide 6 months?

Then again, do you have to stay out of Thailand for one day? Tod Daniels shows evidence of not.

However Thailand keeps stirring in all and change every time and make all unclear.

Why are you trying to compare visa exempt (no visa) and a non-O visa?  One is meant for tourists to come and make a trip to Thailand and then leave.  The other is meant for someone that intends on living in Thailand, and can be extended in Thailand indefinitely if you meet the requirements.  A tourist entry cannot be extended indefinitely and is not meant for living in Thailand.  Trying to compare the two makes absolutely no sense at all.

But regardless of any of that, the policy is the only that matters.  And the requirement for a tourist visa and visa exempt is to have proof of onward travel within the number of days you will be stamped in on (60 days) whereas a non-immigration visa has no requirement for onward travel.

A hotel reservation is not proof of leaving a country anywhere in the world. It just means you booked a hotel somewhere else.  And Visa-on-arrival requirements must be STRICTLY met as you are actually filling out an application at the airport and handing that and the supporting documentation to an immigration officer to check and approve.  If you don't have a ticket out of Thailand within the 15 days of the VoA (no extension possible) you are not getting your visa.

Edited by BrandonJT
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 1:37 PM, Exit23 said:

Hi all,

I have had 2 VE holidays in Thailand in the last 4 months. Both genuine 2 week holidays,  Flying into BKK and out from Phuket. No issues.
I have a 3rd planned for next month, flying in to DMK from Singapore and out from Phuket on to Bali.  Again, a genuine 2 week holiday in Thailand. 

I fly on a UK passport.
I asked UK Thai embassy for clarification of rules, but they don't seem to know. 
I emailed Thai immigration for clarification of rules, but they don't respond

Applying for an e-visa apparently I need to prove I am coming to Thailand from my home  country - I live a pretty nomadic existance, don't really have a home! So not an option.

My biggest fear is that Thai immigration refuse me entry and send me to the UK. Which would be very inconvenient as all my future travel plans for the next few months are in SE Asia. 

Should I have any concerns at all about getting in to Thailand, or should I just go to Malaysia instead? 

You guys on here seem pretty clued up, so looking for advice based on the latest info.

What you have heard is true. However, just because others have issues, that does not mean you will. There isa nothing you can do to k now. You can only prepare just in case and stretegize the best way to exit and enter.  Here is the live score. Three of my clients were questioned last week out of roughly 20. They were all under 50. Two were refused entry because the IO at the airport didn't believe they were tourists and one was let in. All three were asked to show a return ticket and one needed to show their hotel booking, The IO never asked to see proof of travel funds although sometimes they do. 

What should you do? Avoid flying in if all possible. Do border runs using an agency, not on your own. That will suit you because you said you will be traveling to other SEAC. Avoid Poipet, the land border run agents do  as well. If that does not suit you, change your plans or take chance at the airports, you may be fine, but don't listen to people who tell you you are 100% not going to have an issue. 

Other on this board, such as Dr. Jack will tell you that you have nothing to worry about. Then there are others who actually know the score and know that the IOs will ask to see return flights sometimes and will refuse entry sometimes, even on the third entry on visa exemption. 

If you are over 50, your chances of being refused entry or questioned become lower, but still do exist.

Edited by wmlc
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, wmlc said:

What you have heard is true. However, just because others have issues, that does not mean you will. There isa nothing you can do to k now. You can only prepare just in case and stretegize the best way to exit and enter.  Here is the live score. Three of my clients were questioned last week out of roughly 20. They were all under 50. Two were refused entry because the IO at the airport didn't believe they were tourists and one was let in. All three were asked to show a return ticket and one needed to show their hotel booking, The IO never asked to see proof of travel funds although sometimes they do. 

What should you do? Avoid flying in if all possible. Do border runs using an agency, not on your own. That will suit you because you said you will be traveling to other SEAC. Avoid Poipet, the land border run agents do  as well. If that does not suit you, change your plans or take chance at the airports, you may be fine, but don't listen to people who tell you you are 100% not going to have an issue. 

Other on this board, such as Dr. Jack will tell you that you have nothing to worry about. Then there are others who actually know the score and know that the IOs will ask to see return flights sometimes and will refuse entry sometimes, even on the third entry on visa exemption. 

If you are over 50, your chances of being refused entry or questioned become lower, but still do exist.

Many thanks for such a detailed answer wmlc

I have now got about 2 months of hotel and flight bookings around SE Asia after I leave Thailand, so I'm sure I can convince the IO that I am a genuine tourist.

Proof of funds is not an issue

I am in early 50's,  but will dress as a respectable middle aged gent for the airport. Lol.

I will post here to update if I have any issues or sail through.

After this, not due back to Thailand until end of Feb, escaping before Songkran. Hopefully the Visa / VE thing will be better defined by then (some chance!!) 

On 8/31/2024 at 9:16 PM, BrandonJT said:

Why are you trying to compare visa exempt (no visa) and a non-O visa?  One is meant for tourists to come and make a trip to Thailand and then leave.  The other is meant for someone that intends on living in Thailand, and can be extended in Thailand indefinitely if you meet the requirements.  A tourist entry cannot be extended indefinitely and is not meant for living in Thailand.  Trying to compare the two makes absolutely no sense at all.

But regardless of any of that, the policy is the only that matters.  And the requirement for a tourist visa and visa exempt is to have proof of onward travel within the number of days you will be stamped in on (60 days) whereas a non-immigration visa has no requirement for onward travel.

A hotel reservation is not proof of leaving a country anywhere in the world. It just means you booked a hotel somewhere else.  And Visa-on-arrival requirements must be STRICTLY met as you are actually filling out an application at the airport and handing that and the supporting documentation to an immigration officer to check and approve.  If you don't have a ticket out of Thailand within the 15 days of the VoA (no extension possible) you are not getting your visa.

You can use non o, if you are planning to stay with a non o. But you dont have to.

You stay 90 days (retirement 90 days) and then leave. But you must have non o, to get new non o for a year, with all demands then with the visa.

In the new situation, you can do indefinitely border runs on tourist exempt.

They also lifted the entry, coming in from landborder. Was 2 times, but is now gone.

You dont need a visum anymore. At least that is for now, you never know when they turn back.

Many expats are angry about this, as they do the visum way. Also the Thai elite visum buyers are angry.

You bought this one and now you can come and go as you please on visum exempt.

There are expats now wanting to stop visum, as you can do tourist visum exempt.

No demands anymore, you can use your 400/800 kbaht. No more 90 day report.

But you have to go out of Thailand every 90 day (90 days, as in extending TE with 30 days)

I cant have a 5 month holiday in Thailand on a visa exempt with a return ticket.

Flying companies say so ! Im not allowed to fly with them.

I asked them what this is about, they cant tell and cant explain! They say, incredible.

Looks like some kind of secret surprise.

So for now, I need non o visum, so later I can have visum exempt with border hop.

The METV (terrible visum) I will skip, as I did before and now go the non O way. 

35 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

In the new situation, you can do indefinitely border runs on tourist exempt.

They also lifted the entry, coming in from landborder. Was 2 times, but is now gone.

You dont need a visum anymore. At least that is for now, you never know when they turn back.

No, you cannot do indefinitely border runs on tourist exempt. If the immigration officer see that you misuse a visa exempt to stay a long time in Thailand, he can deny you entry, and he will then tell you to get a real visa if you want to stay long time in Thailand.

36 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

I cant have a 5 month holiday in Thailand on a visa exempt with a return ticket.

I asked them what this is about, they cant tell and cant explain! They say, incredible.

Looks like some kind of secret surprise.

It is not so secret, it has been mentioned time and again in here. As mentioned above, the immigration officer can deny you entry. If you arrive by air, the airline will then have to fly you back on their expense. They do not want that; thus, to minimize their risk, they want to see that you have a ticket out of Thailand before the visa exempt expire.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

It is not the airlines (which you refer to as "flying companies") that say that you "cant have a 5 month holiday in Thailand on a visa exempt with a return ticket"

It was the Thai government who, with the Announcement of the Ministry of Interior dated 15 June 2024 which was published in Thai language in the Royal Gazette, said when you enter Thailand without a visa you are allowed to stay for up to sixty days for the purpose of "tourism, work, or short-term business engagements". It further says that if you wish to remain in Thailand temporarily beyond the period permitted under this Announcement, you must apply for an extension of stay at the Immigration Office before the expiration of the permitted period. The Announcement makes no mention of a return flight.

Based on the abovementioned Announcement, the IATA entered relevant information in their database which is accessible free of charge and when I consulted it just now displayed the following:

Type: Critical

Visa

Visa required.

Visa Exemptions:

Nationals of Switzerland with a normal passport traveling as tourists or on business for a maximum stay of 60 days.

Extension of stay possible for an additional 30 days.

The following should be taken into account even if holding a Visa:

Visitors older than 12 years must have sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 20,000.- per person or THB 40,000.- per family). Proof of funds includes Letters of Credit, vouchers, Miscellaneous Charges Orders (MCO) or credit cards accepted in Thailand.

Extension of stay is possible.
Passengers are allowed to enter if their stay will exceed the actual visa-free period as long as they hold a return/onward ticket.

Warning:

Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward tickets could be refused entry.

Visa exempt nationals must have passports and passport replacing documents with at least half an unused visa page for entry/departure endorsements by the Thai Immigration Service.

When checking in passengers for flights to Thailand, the staff of airlines who subscribe to a specific IATA service package get analogous information displayed on their screens. Airlines are completely free to chose whether and when and to what extent to apply conditions or restrictions upon any passenger who has no return or onward ticket.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, farang51 said:

No, you cannot do indefinitely border runs on tourist exempt. If the immigration officer see that you misuse a visa exempt to stay a long time in Thailand, he can deny you entry, and he will then tell you to get a real visa if you want to stay long time in Thailand.

You cannot do it at some entry points, where an agent-service is required to pay the corrupt.  I am not seeing rejected-entry at any of the known "safe" entry points.

Of course, this can always change - and by that, I mean that the "agent fee" needed, and what entry-points are corrupted can change, as we saw happen at Poipet/Aranyaprathet, some years ago. 

2 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

You cannot do it at some entry points, where an agent-service is required to pay the corrupt.  I am not seeing rejected-entry at any of the known "safe" entry points

I wonder what effect the proposed ETA for visa exempt entries will have on IO's given that the ETA QR code allows for automated gate entry.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, farang51 said:

It is not so secret, it has been mentioned time and again in here. As mentioned above, the immigration officer can deny you entry. If you arrive by air, the airline will then have to fly you back on their expense. They do not want that; thus, to minimize their risk, they want to see that you have a ticket out of Thailand before the visa exempt expire.

There is this earlier and from that I understood, you can.

Tod shows evidence of coming in Thailand again (third time), even the tourists had overstays.

On page 11, George shows an interview with Naruchai Ninnad (deputy director general of foreign affairs), in which is stated you can do those border runs as many as you like or your passport is full with stamps. It wouldnt be an issue, told by Nurachai and shown by Tod.

There is a confusing statement in it, as Nurachai says, you have to be out of Thailand for a day, but Tod shows you dont have to.

I dont make it up. Also the angry visa holders is mentioned once and who dont agree.

BUT still at the end all depends on the IO, whom you are standing for. If everything is just normal, he ll have to let you in. And a bunch of entering stamps in Thailand, should not be an issue.

It is what I understand of the situation, brought by Tod's and Nurachai's explanations.

Well sorry, I didnt know about the airlines, flying companies  for rejecting. I was confronted now in other forum, while I didnt know. Said, it is mentioned many times, but didnt red any of it, seems.  

Ok never had the issue as I did my journeys (seems)  then in a proper way. However with the changing rules, it popped up (again then?) and I was amazed. As I first thought, ok go to Thailand then now on 60 exempts.

But no, that one is blocked for a beginning. I must have a visum. (on return ticket for 5 month period) 

That is on site of airline!

Ok filled in IATA form and then this: 

They state, there wouldnt be a problem, when I have return ticket !

I can do visa exempt way ! Bbbbut airline here says no! 

It is I have a good chair, so didnt fall down.
IATA tells me I can do, but airline not ! :shock1:

Im trying now to get some kind of action from airline, but the workers are a pain in the ass.

I showed them the outcome. They are real slow in an answer.

I feel a bit uncomfortable (understatement)

image.png.a60effb5ef1d9682ce0db21106eeabdd.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bvor said:

I wonder what effect the proposed ETA for visa exempt entries will have on IO's given that the ETA QR code allows for automated gate entry.

If and when the ETA has been implemented, any denials would be centralized and probably following more consistent rules, whatever they may be.

Whether there will be an "agent service" to apply for an ETA on your behalf with a guaranteed outcome is anyone's guess. It wouldn't surprise me though.

Vietnam might give some clues. Those who have trouble using the official eVisa system can use an agent's service to apply on their behalf, which miraculously makes certain problems go away.

• Agree 2

On 9/4/2024 at 5:19 PM, xtrnuno41 said:

If everything is just normal, he ll have to let you in.

Unfortunately, this is only true at "safe" entry points, which don't have an "agent assisted entry" side-business going on. 

In Thailand, there is a limited set of reasons immigration are permitted by law to deny entry.  IOs at "problem" entry points have been known to tell the foreigner a non-legal reason, then write a legal, but inapplicable, reason in the passport, to cover their tracks. 

This "problem" does not happen if payment was made to their agent-partners, and is never reported at honest / "safe" points of entry.

7 hours ago, zzzzz said:

sucks if ur from these countries

Before: Argentina, Brazil,* Chile. Korea (ROK)* & Peru
got 90 days>
now they only get 60  ;-(

That's not true at all.  Thailand has a treaty with those countries and they still qualify for 90 days through that bi-lateral agreement. Previously Brazilians and Koreans could decide if they wanted the 30 days visa exempt or the 90 days visa waiver. Now they can decide if they want the 60 or 90.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, BrandonJT said:

That's not true at all.  Thailand has a treaty with those countries and they still qualify for 90 days through that bi-lateral agreement. Previously Brazilians and Koreans could decide if they wanted the 30 days visa exempt or the 90 days visa waiver. Now they can decide if they want the 60 or 90.

Correct. The change from 30 days to 60 days (for most nationalities) doesn't affect those entering visa exempt under a bilateral agreement between Thailand and their hone country that allows 90-day stays. They continue to get 90 days.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, is it true that if you enter Thailand by land (Chiang Khong) with the 60-days exempt and then extend another 30 days, that after that you have to fly out, and can't just cross the land border again and cross back in after two days and start again with another 60-days+ extendable exemption? Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Verite said:

Hi, is it true that if you enter Thailand by land (Chiang Khong) with the 60-days exempt and then extend another 30 days, that after that you have to fly out, and can't just cross the land border again and cross back in after two days and start again with another 60-days+ extendable exemption? Many thanks!

That depends entirely on the entry-point.  Each runs their own thing - either with an agent-money game, or no games.

Entering on serial-exempts at Bangkok airport requires paying their agent-service for safe-entry. 

So far, no reports of denials or needing "agent service" at Nong Khai, or many smaller crossings.  

There is a Cambodian crossing used by the visa-run agents out of Pattaya and Bangkok - no reports of denials with them, yet - though those on non-imm entries must pay a premium to return on visa-exempt..

A couple crossing near CM into Laos are now requiring "stay out" for 1 or 2 days. 

19 hours ago, Verite said:

Keep in mind, they are not done yet with VE.

In december you probably need an ETA. It is said, EVERY time you enter Thailand on VE by land, sea or air.

You only get ETA if you are outside Thailand. You have to contact E visa site then. No valid ETA, no entrance.

Allegedly they are testing it first with Aussies.

However it s Thailand, so dont be amazed, it will be there for everybody, next month.