5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

On 5/30/2024 at 8:38 AM, Liquorice said:

I think you've misunderstood.

You can only extend for 180 days once during the 5-year validity of the visa.

are you certain it is once per visa or once per entry which is the norm

On 5/30/2024 at 10:06 AM, Liquorice said:

What would be the purpose of the one time 180 day extension if you can simply re-enter to get a further 180 days.

many will pay the fee just for the convenience to not travel
others will not pay the fee and take the opportunity to travel
others will do whatever is cheapest like a border run

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, shdmn said:

It doesn't specifically imply multi-entry within the 180 day period with no strings attached and no fees.  I don't think the non-O retirement visa is multi-entry unless you pay extra for that option or fill out a form and pay a fee each time you exit the country.

It doesn't specificy any restrictions, either.

Yes, you pay more for a multi enty non-O. Just as you pay more for multiple entry categories on any visa. This visa, for example, costs 10,000bt.

Re-entry permits are a complely different thing and not relevant when discussing the amount of entries available on a visa while still valid.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2024 at 6:00 AM, BritManToo said:

Looks good, might be an alternative to a retirement VISA/extension.

Stay 180 days, extend once (assuming 1,900bht), border hop, rinse and repeat.

Averaging 3,900bht/year.

Around the same cost as a retirement extension with multi re-entry, but 300kbht less in the bank required.

It's 10, 000 plus 10,000 extension only once giving a max 360 days over a 5 year period

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, blorg said:

It's a multi-entry visa. A multi-entry visa is multi-entry, with no additional fees, for the duration of the visa, that is how they work. The price is stated, 10,000B. Other examples would be the METV, Elite, or the non-immigrant "O-X" retirement visa, these are all multi-entry and work the same way, multiple entries for the life of the visa.

To be fair there did used to be limited multi-entry (double and triple) tourist visas available. But they were replaced by the METV.

Currently, as far as I'm aware, there are no multi entry visas available with restrictions on the number of entries.

Of course, nothing is impossible in this country. But usually Immigration manage to find new and surprising ways to make a visa less useful than originally hoped - the METV, for example ended up having the restriction that you can only apply for it in your home country.

I'd be highly disappointed if Immigration just pull out an existing restriction (entry count) to make this visa less useful, rather than coming up with a brand new kind of stupid.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, baansgr said:

It's 10, 000 plus 10,000 extension only once giving a max 360 days over a 5 year period

Can't think of any extension that wasn't priced at 1,900bht.

Seems a standardised charge to me.

Not sure the government have thought it through though .........

If you don't have a long term VISA, you can't open a Thai bank account, so how would applicants get 500kbht in a Thai bank account?

You'd already need a long term VISA to get the DTV, and you'd need 500kbht in a Thai bank to apply, and you could probably only apply from your home country ......... everyone would be running in circles to try and fulfil the application conditions!

Edited by BritManToo

20 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

DTV site has been updated to say the Visa is expected to be available from later this month or Early July

The new DTV visa is expected to take effect in late June or early July 2024 as part of their short-term measures

That's not an official site-- just a random site publishing information that may or maynot be correct.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Caldera said:

But those double and triple entry tourist visas were never called "multi-entry" visas by anyone in authority, so I really don't see how anyone would assume that this newly announced multi-entry DTV will be anything but a real multi-entry visa (unlimited entries during its validity period).

Well yeah, but that could be just unlimited entries up to it's 180 days entry stamp date (and during the optional one-time 180 day extension)

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Well yeah, but that could be just unlimited entries up to it's 180 days entry stamp date (and during the optional one-time 180 day extension)

Why call it a 5 year visa if it's 180 days max? You have visa durations, and the enter by date. 5 year visa doesn't mean use within 5 years to get 180 days (or at least that wouldn't be consistent with other visa types).

Edited by jacob29
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

You can claim whatever you want at this point, considering the absence of confirmed facts.

But there's no Thai visa that currently works like that, so in my opinion, you're in fantasy land with that assumption. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Sorry I got caught up speculating rubbish like so many other people in this thread.

My actual belief is that the DTV allows 180 days per calender year for the 5 years validity of visa. It also allows one in country extension of 180 days in that 5 year validity period. 

This is the only thing that makes sense to me with a 5 year validity

Agreed +1

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/30/2024 at 7:40 PM, Antti said:

It is probably similar to multi-entry Schengen visa in EU. The days stop counting when you exit EU and then it restarts from the same number of days when you come back. So if I'm correct, with this new visa you get 180 days (or 360 days if you extend) that can be used during a period of 5 years.

Smart observation. 

Schengen visa also have a rule where you can stay up to 180 days in any given 1-year- period (NOT in any given calendar year)

18 hours ago, humbug said:

Exactly, it states everywhere, 180 days within a 5 year period and one more extension of 180 days...

I don't see it this way, considering the list of qualifying groups of foreigners.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, humbug said:

Where does it say unlimited 180 days multi-entry...

With all currently available types of multi-entry visas, multi-entry means an unlimited number of entries during the validity period of the visa. I firmly believe it will be the same with this new multi-entry visa.

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)

I think a lot of people are under the mistaken impression that they can use this new 5 year visa as a tourist visa.  The way it's worded it doesn't sound like you can, so you will probably have to prove that you earn some minimum amount of income remotely or are doing one of the other occupations they listed.

Edited by shdmn

14 hours ago, baansgr said:

There has been nothing in the information published so far to suggest that the DTV will be valid for only 1 entry and that the extension fee will be 10,000 Baht.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Maestro said:

There has been nothing in the information published so far to suggest that the DTV will be valid for only 1 entry and that the extension fee will be 10,000 Baht.

So you think it's only a one time 10k fee for the entire 5 years?  Not including extensions and whatever unknown fees are associated with that.

Edited by shdmn

13 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Absolutely not. We are talking about a multi-entry visa, not a multi-entry re-entry permit.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Maestro said:

With all currently available types of multi-entry visas, multi-entry means an unlimited number of entries during the validity period of the visa. I firmly believe it will be the same with this new multi-entry visa.

Whilst I agree that being ME it will allow unlimited entries during the 5 year validity of the visa, I believe the difference will be in the period of stay which will be limited to 180 days per year. 6 x 30 day entries, or 3 x 60 day entries for example.

I await the details with great interest because so far this DTV seems a bit too good to be true and potentially wide open to abuse.

For a long time I used 1-year ME Non-O 'Thai Family' 90-day entry visa. IIRC that cost about ฿6k and I had to show ฿400k equivalent (London).  It was withdrawn (again) about a year ago - only SE available now. In comparison this DTV would be an absolute bargain. Also the range of permitted activities is quite large and it would be dead easy to fake some income from an overseas entity.  I think the devil will be in the detail.......

In essence, it's a visa valid for 5 years, allowing stays of up to 6 months or 180 days at a time. After the initial 180 days, individuals typically do a border run to obtain another stamp, granting them an additional 180 days. Is that correct?

Can someone apply in Thailand or must it be done outside jurisdiction?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1