5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

7 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

If you are on an extension-of-stay based on retirement, and leave without a re-entry permit, then your extension ends when you leave.  You could then apply for a visa at a consulate abroad.

The downsides I see are:
1) You might not get grandfathered-in to the current "money in the bank" requirements, if they make them higher in the future.

2) The MFA guy said changes to other extensions are in-progress / will come later this year.

Also, would need to do it using "Soft Power" category - otherwise would be saying you were working illegally on a retirement-based extension until now.

Personally, I won't be making the switch from my retirement-extension, as it is easy / convenient and 1900 Baht / year, and I don't know what may change next.  But, I do regret having 800K sitting there, on which I could be getting a decent ROI.  Over 5 years, with border-run costs, though?  Is it worth it?   If you travel out regularly regardless, then the border-runs aren't an issue - but I don't.

All great points and funny I just realized  also I could just leave the country and not get a re-entry.  Problem is I have one re-enrty already so I might have to leave twice.  Patience is not a strength of mine and probably should just do it in America during my trip in October or when I return.  Not concerned about being grandfathered into any future Non-O changes.  Think the odds of immigration making exceptions for people that have been on the visa for 5 years is minuscule.

As for the Soft Power, it might be easy for me.  I race marathons all over Thailand and could show the payment receipts.  The video posted above mentioned that seminars would apply and think running events would also apply.  Lots of ifs but just don't feel there is much of a risk.  

As for the border run costs, I live on the boarder and love the area in Laos that is 30 kms away.   It would force me to get out of my comfort zone which is good.  I in the past I travelled extensively but have settled into a comfortable life that is great but lacks that wow factor travelling can bring.

8 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I'm waiting for clearer info on this too. I have a homepage that shows I can provide web and software development services and has a portfolio of projects I done during study etc. It's never made any money. I emailed them in Laos asking for clarification and recieved none.

It needs to be a business earning you a reasonable income.  You might be able to skirt around it or they may ask for something proving that.

Edited by shdmn

2 hours ago, walio said:

I work offshore. This is what I posted elsewhere, might be useful to you. 

Applied online which was sent to London for approval due to home location being UK.
 Applied on 19th (Friday), on 23rd (Tuesday) got the request for addition documents (proof of employment) even though submitted my employment contract which was issued through Singapore. They requested a letter from UK or Ireland employer.
 Reached out to HR, got the letter, submitted it about 12 hours from the Thai authorities requesting for it.
 Even though the letter had no UK nor any other country mentioned anywhere at all (I work for American company), just stated that I am international roamer with no fixed place of work.
 That worked well and on 24th (Wednesday) at 22.59 UK time already got 5 year visa approved. So basically 3 full business days taking into consideration that they were waiting for nearly a day for the letter of employment.
 Application process is easy but nit-noy confusing, one of the requirements was proof of current location. By that they probably mean "proof of address", but to be on a safe side I supplied proof of current location - which was my boarding passes to Spain from previous day + missing baggage reports with dates as well as my gas bill as proof of address.
 Supplied Bank Statement from UK bank with current balance which was more than 500k Baht required.
 Visa valid for 5 years from the date of issue (24th). So next time I fly back home to Thailand I will no longer have to go through the visa-waiver and perhaps can consider buying a car & motorbike if it is allowed with this visa, need to investigate further.
 Easy peasy!
 Total cost £300, so not really 10k Baht as advertised, but maybe different fees for different countries, overpaid by 4000 baht, but at least done and dusted.

The proof of address thing is the same requirement as the tourist visa.  Having done that a few times what has worked for me was an image of my drivers license.

3 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

Also, would need to do it using "Soft Power" category - otherwise would be saying you were working illegally on a retirement-based extension until now

Good point.

So if you apply as a digital nomad, make sure portfolio/ employment contract are recent. 

Not a good idea to just go to Vientiane for 3 days. Fly home, stay there 3 months, find work as dignom, come back with DTV - that would be plausible. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 8:37 PM, Seppius said:

Just started to help a friend try to get one, he works 6 weeks on and 6 off rotation in the Middle East, UK passport, long term condo rental here, financial side is no problem, be interesting for others in the offshore industry to see if gets it

I did pop into a well-known Pattaya agent today, they are not handling DTVs, but she advised to get outside Thailand

I am thinking 3 months bank statements, and he has a good letter from one of the major oil company

For digital nomad/remote worker/foreign talent/freelancer
Additional Required Documents
  • Document indicating current location
  • Financial evidence: amount of no less than ฿500,000, e.g. bank statements, payslips, sponsorship letter
  • Employment contract or employment certificate in their country or professional portfolio showcasing digital nomad, remote worker, foreign talent or freelancer status

So, again... "payslips"... doesn't that indicate that they will accept monthly payslips instead of the 500,000 on the account? 

• Like 1

I have everything I need except letter from HR showing employment, now the issue I will have even though remote work is allowed my contract doesn't state it and HR are not going to be willing to write into my contract/letter. My current letter would show company in my country/hours per week/salary/position and title which is IT Senior engineer architect, would this be enough for the proof of employment?

The way its worded it seems to be fine right?

As per my embassy 

DTV1 - Workcation (digital nomad/remote worker/foreign talent/freelancer)

Required Documents:
  1. Biodata page of Passport or Travel Document
  2. Photograph taken within the last six months
  3. Document indicating current location
  4. Financial evidence: amount of no less than £11,000 (500,000 THB), e.g. bank statements, sponsorship letter
  5. Employment contract or employment certificate in their country or professional portfolio showcasing digital nomad, remote worker, foreign talent or freelancer status

Edited by DCXMX
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

Good point.

So if you apply as a digital nomad, make sure portfolio/ employment contract are recent. 

Not a good idea to just go to Vientiane for 3 days. Fly home, stay there 3 months, find work as dignom, come back with DTV - that would be plausible. 

Or, do it from Laos, Cambodia, or the PI - where they never cared about "online work."  They don't really care in Thailand either - but rubbing it in their faces is not recommended, as a few have found out.

5 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

People are like, requirement that, better stay home 3 month before apply this.

No.

It's all in at the moment. Just print out and apply and get the DTV.

You're probably right. If anything, they will get stricter.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

But, that would prevent roping people into paying income-tax. 

Also, I heard India were not enforcing "180 day max / year" on those visas for Americans any more?

the Thai revenue dept defines a TAX RESIDENT of Thailand if one is in country more than 180 days per CALENDAR YEAR (1Jan-31 DEC) so if one only stays 180 days he is tax free but if he then turns right around shortly after leaving the country, he could possibly be defined as a TAX RESIDENT.  I do not know if this is the plan or if they will not tax remittances for those with the DTV but for the only other visa for which they exempt foreign earned income remitted into Thailand as specified in the TDR regulations, is the LTR.  Just saying as like I said, I don't know how they are going to define one or if they will or will not tax you.  Good luck and welcome to Paradise!

16 hours ago, Seppius said:

That's what I was thinking, went to the popular agent in Pattaya soi 13, girl on the desk did not even know what I was talking about, but one of the managers overheard, and told me they are not doing them, but I think they will as the months go on, makes sense. I think this will become a very popular visa, as it seems easy to get

Yes, just waiting for all the dust to settle as to what and how, etc every division within the govt will give their take on this particular visa.  

12 hours ago, atpeace said:

My Non-O expires on November 10.  Can you apply for another visa before it expires?  I'm thinking about a quick trip to Laos and do an E-visa.  Never done an E-visa but it seems simple enough.

When I got the LTR they insisted that the retirement O had to be cancelled as one can only have one active visa.  But I don't know all the rules of immigration so...

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, shdmn said:

It needs to be a business earning you a reasonable income.  You might be able to skirt around it or they may ask for something proving that.

Do you have a clear non-ambigous source for this info? I have been following this pretty closely and started the application online but only see:

Employment contract OR employment certificate OR professional portfolio showcasing digital nomad / freelancer status.

image.thumb.png.a0a7845f085453cf85d3a0ae8b4c5b24.pngimage.thumb.png.8c077c487d4f07646f18533a49e22713.png

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

Yes, just waiting for all the dust to settle as to what and how, etc every division within the govt will give their take on this particular visa.  

I imagine the recent visa overhaul is having a big effect on the business of visa agents. So they probably don't want to know much about it. I went to phuket immigration yesterday. Seemed less than half as busy as it usually is. I wonder how the queue at jomtien is at the moment.

13 hours ago, asia123 said:

Tomorrow I go to Vientiane and try to get DTV, I’m an app developer, what kind of document do I need…? 

I'm not sure what is needed to prove that I'm an engineer. Should I print out the URL and screenshots of the web app? This is a completely startup project, I'm not working for a company, and the app hasn't generated any profit yet.

Please update us with the experience

11 hours ago, DCXMX said:

I have everything I need except letter from HR showing employment, now the issue I will have even though remote work is allowed my contract doesn't state it and HR are not going to be willing to write into my contract/letter. My current letter would show company in my country/hours per week/salary/position and title which is IT Senior engineer architect, would this be enough for the proof of employment?

The way its worded it seems to be fine right?

As per my embassy 

DTV1 - Workcation (digital nomad/remote worker/foreign talent/freelancer)

Required Documents:
  1. Biodata page of Passport or Travel Document
  2. Photograph taken within the last six months
  3. Document indicating current location
  4. Financial evidence: amount of no less than £11,000 (500,000 THB), e.g. bank statements, sponsorship letter
  5. Employment contract or employment certificate in their country or professional portfolio showcasing digital nomad, remote worker, foreign talent or freelancer status

I have seen on the website of at least one consulate that they wanted in writing you are allowed to work remotely.

Logic would dictate that, but bureaucrats usually don't follow logic.

Of course,  many HR would never say this in writing.

Which, BTW, might hurt you in the end.

WFH from your apartment 25km from your office, in the same jurisdiction (state and country) is not the same as working from a third world BRICS country.

Labour laws? Data protection? Social security, health insurance, accident insurance, unemployment benefits? Taxes?

HR doesn't want to deal with the Thai DTA (and maybe 25 others) - and in case of conflict they will just pretend you were never allowed to work from Thailand. 

A girl from SF, working from home during the pandemic, moved to her bf in Vancouver. Her employer told her to come back to the US or terminate the employment. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, atpeace said:

My Non-O expires on November 10.  Can you apply for another visa before it expires?  I'm thinking about a quick trip to Laos and do an E-visa.  Never done an E-visa but it seems simple enough.

As noted already in this thread, in the case of applying for an LTR visa, if on a non-immigrant type-O (and OA) visa, it is possible to apply for an LTR visa when on either of those two visas.  I recall one of the 'fields' I had to fill in on the application form was what Visa was I current on ? (if any).

In my case, speculating it would take me a long time to get the LTR visa approved, I went and applied for a 1-year extension on my Type-O visa (for reason of retirement), and then within a week of obtaining that extension, I then started the application process for my Thai LTR visa.

In the case of the DTV visa, ... I don't know if that is possible.  Its a good question !

Edited by oldcpu

16 hours ago, atpeace said:

And you won't be doing one in Laos.  You can however apply in person at the embassy/consulate.  

10 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

People are like, requirement that, better stay home 3 month before apply this.

No.

It's all in at the moment. Just print out and apply and get the DTV.

Just use soft-power, if you have been living in Thailand while doing "online work" - to avoid any potential problems.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Presnock said:

the Thai revenue dept defines a TAX RESIDENT of Thailand if one is in country more than 180 days per CALENDAR YEAR (1Jan-31 DEC) so if one only stays 180 days he is tax free but if he then turns right around shortly after leaving the country, he could possibly be defined as a TAX RESIDENT. ...

There is nothing in DTV legal language about tax exemption, so 180+ days = income is taxable.  See your dual-tax treaty to know if it will affect you and/or how much.

• Agree 2

I think digital nomad option might be complicated because of the taxes, 

What are some soft power options can be quickly used?

I'm going to the embassy in Vientiane tomorrow, so I don't have much time

I'm also thinking of giving up on it this time and going with a non-O visa instead.

50 minutes ago, asia123 said:

I think digital nomad option might be complicated because of the taxes, 

What are some soft power options can be quickly used?

I'm going to the embassy in Vientiane tomorrow, so I don't have much time

I'm also thinking of giving up on it this time and going with a non-O visa instead.

Medical appointment + 500K Baht proof?   Unfortunately, we don't have any "success reports" on using soft-power or at Vientiane yet. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob Browder said:

Medical appointment + 500K Baht proof?   Unfortunately, we don't have any "success reports" on using soft-power or at Vientiane yet. 

Have not seen a medical as part of the requirements, or insurance come to that

1 minute ago, Seppius said:

Have not seen a medical as part of the requirements, or insurance come to that

A medical appointment is listed under the "soft power" options for the DTV.  We do not yet have detail on what sort of medical service is "good enough" to qualify.  I assume getting a set of dental implants or hip-transplant would be more than enough - a "wellness check" might not - but that is just me guessing. 

19 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

A medical appointment is listed under the "soft power" options for the DTV.  We do not yet have detail on what sort of medical service is "good enough" to qualify.  I assume getting a set of dental implants or hip-transplant would be more than enough - a "wellness check" might not - but that is just me guessing. 

Have seen on other forums a single doctors appointment has been accepted as proof, multiple DTV's issued for this purpose already

There are no specific requirements, bearing in mind each embassy may vary.

• Like 1

I need some advice.

I'm currently in Vientiane and will be going to the embassy tomorrow.

I'm still undecided whether to obtain a Non O visa as usual or try to get the uncertain DTV.

If I apply for the Non O visa tomorrow I can receive it on Tuesday for sure and go back to Thailand on that day. 

However, if I try for the DTV tomorrow, I cant get non-o visa on Tuesday. Moreover if I end up not getting DTV I'll go for the Non O visa, but that means I won't receive non-o until the end of next week. 

Edited by asia123