5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

On 6/2/2024 at 3:18 PM, shdmn said:

I think that is an understatement.  I did 2 visa runs on a 6 month multi-entry and got pushback after only 4 months total in Thailand.  Wasn't even sure if they were going to let me back in the 2nd time.  So there will most definitely be pushback.

Look strange. How many times you spent in Thailand previous years ?

Because the METV exists for this reason : to enter/leave 'as you want for 180days' and normally you are able to enter at the very end of the 6months validity and get another 60days .. 

Posted (edited)

First of all, the new visa is being advertised on blogs targeting digital nomads.

https://www.travelinglifestyle.net/thailand-has-announced-a-new-easy-to-get-visa-for-digital-nomads/

The new visa targets digital nomads, remote workers, freelancers and others who want to live and work in Thailand for a period of up to 360 days. 

Second of all, the magic number is 360. It sounds like you can stay a maximum of 360 days TOTAL in 5 years. 

You cannot keep re-newing it for 180 days at a time indefinitely. It can only be renewed once during that 5 year period. 180+180 = 360 and then that's it.

It can be back to back. If you do it back to back, you can stay a full year minus 5 days, but then you've exhausted the visa during the 5 year period.

The question is then .... can you buy ANOTHER DTV visa that overlaps that 5 year one or do you need to wait until the 5 years expires to be eligible for another one?

I'm guessing you cannot reapply until the 5 years is up. So digital nomads would need to combine this visa with other digital nomad visas in other countries and keep bouncing around from country to country. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

I read somewhere you need to have at least an IQ of 90 to understand that anecdotes don't make the 'per capita'.

i read u need show 500,000 ( Not sure in thai bank or......) to get visa
so  at least their not poor

13 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Youtube vlogging is a new modern day legitimate profession.

Some people suck at it and create crappy content and go broke doing it. 

Some people are highly proficient and cranking out very polished content and making good money at it. 

0.0001% of the 'vloggers' are successful. At this point it's either pure luck or you have something which youtube prefers to show (ie. non White is a good starter) or you are extremely handsome or have money to invest in funnels leading to your youtube channel.

Yes, it's possible with sheer discipline and grind the subscriber count but if you are never getting more views than your subscriber count, you can basically just shut down after trying 40-50 videos because you will never make it.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

because you will never make it.

a lot of people give up too easily.

i've heard some people say it took them years to get a lot of subs.

but some people put out crap though. you need to put out decent content. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

a lot of people give up too easily.

i've heard some people say it took them years to get a lot of subs.

but some people put out crap though. you need to put out decent content. 

Youtube is a done deal. Maybe you had a chance when it just became popular, but once everyone starts doing it your chances go down the drain. Similar to starting your own forum and trying to get active participants. An uphill battle, people just stay where they are for the most part.

The question is, what's the new thing where there's a chance of getting in early and developing a following early before everyone else?

Edited by JimTripper
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

Youtube is a done deal. Kind of like free email services. Maybe you had a chance when it just became popular, but once everyone starts doing it your chances go down the drain.

The question is, what's the new thing where there's a chance of getting in early and developing a following early before everyone else?

there are millions of restaurants. yet some still make a lot of money and others dont 

you dont need to do everything for money.

you can have a pension or a normal job and do youtube on the side as a passion project.

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

there are millions of restaurants. yet some still make a lot of money and others dont

That's a weak comparison. Getting famous on Youtube is comparable to actors becoming famous in Hollywood. Or Amazon success vs. a local bookstore's.

It's much easier on TikTok though. TikTok algorithm is just superior and actually shows your video to people if it's good and not because you're ticking hidden boxes Youtube applies. Youtube is also generally favoring controlled industrialized players (ie. MrBeast) instead of 'good content'. But TikTok is a younger audience, 100k views pay like 10k views on Youtube. But it's a way to gain initial reach and a following which could be funneled to Yt/IG and so on.

On 6/3/2024 at 3:48 PM, Pattaya57 said:

One of these DTV candidate "freelancers" just sat near me at Nikom Court on soi bukhao Pattaya (25-30 American). He had a double camera on a stand taking video of everyone without permission and talked up his blog about his fantastic 140 baht spaghetti and 50 baht Leo... he sat next to the only single Thai girl in the place just so she could be on his permanently streaming blog camera...

Please don't issue DTV's to these losers that think they have a right to invade everybody's privacy and post it to the World 

We all know Pattaya is considered as the Acropolis of Thailand where all the most intelligent men from around the world converge to discuss discretly philosophy at very high level.

I really hope this secret garden will be well preserved from those barbaric hordes of losers.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, El Matador said:

We all know Pattaya is considered as the Acropolis of Thailand where all the most intelligent men from around the world converge to discuss discretly philosophy at very high level.

I really hope this secret garden will be well preserved from those barbaric hordes of losers.

who are you to decide who should be allowed in ?

god?

just hang out with people u like and avoid those u dont like.

10 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

who are you to decide who should be allowed in ?

god?

just hang out with people u like and avoid those u dont like.

It's not possible to avoid people you don't like in pattaya unless you like sitting in your room all day.

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

It's not possible to avoid people you don't like in pattaya unless you like sitting in your room all day.

that bad, huh?

there's gotta be 1 or 2?

hang in there. we will find you a place with classy people. we're working on it. 

On 6/3/2024 at 3:28 PM, VinnieK said:

I will tick the 'Internet troll' box 😁😁

..but seriously...how do digital nomads prove what they are ?

No troll

Income verification, for instance tax receipts. Receipts for business expenses. Taxes filed home country as LLC, sole proprietorship.

They will need these for Thailand as well.

Something else occurred to me. At this point we have no confirmation that the Visa can be extended multiple times over the 5 years. Therefore, it is very possible that they will expect these people to pay taxes on some sort in Thailand

Do you expect anyone to be able to nab this visa?

Many Tiktokers are totally lazy af:

1 learn something at a very superficial level

2 walk about and find something banal to discuss and prattle on about it for a few minutes

2 report on it from a chair in your studio flat

- This is not a job it's a waste of a life.

I also predict that many tiktokers little income that they might be making will disappear as they are inexperienced in Asia as well as vapid and are quickly running out of things to present to their audiences. Their views will plummet and are doing so already.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Yes it is. I lived there for more years than I'd like to admit. I pretty much avoid the flotsam and jetsam. I even had special walking routes to avoid traffic, tourists and anywhere I knew the I'd find people I'd rather not come into contact.

* Been many changes since then. In fact, the entire town has changed considerably I would imagine.

11 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

That's a weak comparison. Getting famous on Youtube is comparable to actors becoming famous in Hollywood. Or Amazon success vs. a local bookstore's.

It's much easier on TikTok though. TikTok algorithm is just superior and actually shows your video to people if it's good and not because you're ticking hidden boxes Youtube applies. Youtube is also generally favoring controlled industrialized players (ie. MrBeast) instead of 'good content'. But TikTok is a younger audience, 100k views pay like 10k views on Youtube. But it's a way to gain initial reach and a following which could be funneled to Yt/IG and so on.

TikTok is BS. They don't know what the hell they are doing. That's both the corporation and the posters. The vast majority of posts are invaluable unlike YouTube. Nothing of any real quality and that goes double for Thailand. Few are doing anything just prattling on about superficial bs all the info can be found on this forum.

It's also stupid bc pretty, half naked women get likes and follows but real content is hard found.

The algorithm is BS. You can see and feel how it's driven this way and that. Things disappear in  a day only to be replaced (or not) by new trend.

To call any foreign a content creator here is an absolute joke. One exception is a guy doing restaurant revenues. Sadly for him he's reviewing Thai food and farang don't eat Thai food so he's struggling for followers.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

Visa agent will sort it.

Maybe not. It's one thing to look the other way toward some geezers in change singlets, running shorts and rubber flip flops. It may prove another allowing young men prone to trouble to do the same.

Since the liberalization of visa and exemption I have noticed a number of news items recently related to assault battery and fighting. I'm sure the local police have made note of that as well

11 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

This guy is doing pretty good:

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, BusNo8 said:

At this point we have no confirmation that the Visa can be extended multiple times over the 5 years.

Visas cannot be extended, only periods of stay are extended.

It's advertised as a multiple entry visa, valid for 5 years.

It's the details on the periods of stay we're waiting for.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Visas cannot be extended, only periods of stay are extended.

It's advertised as a multiple entry visa, valid for 5 years.

It's the details on the periods of stay we're waiting for.

Visas can be extended. It's commonly referred to as a 'visa extension'

It's good to keep language precise, but this is a nitpick

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Nope, and it's not nitpicking or semantics.

The validity of a visa is the period during which you can enter Thailand. The period of stay is granted by Immigration on arrival, subject to the type of visa.

You can extend these periods of stay at local Immigration offices, which are 'permits', not visas.

A single entry visa is 'used' on entry.
A multiple entry visa expires on the 'enter before' date.

If you don't understand the difference between the validity of a visa and the periods of stay, then you won't understand how this new DTV will work.

I don't care how a visa works. I just want a clear understanding on how long I can stay.

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

I don't care how a visa works. I just want a clear understanding on how long I can stay.

Are you a digital nomad or wanting to study?

I note a lot of expat retirees and those with Thai spouses are commenting, thinking this new visa may circumvent their existing conditions of staying in Thailand.
This visa is not aimed at that group, nor will it, or does it, affect the way you currently apply, either in the form of 1 year extensions of your period of stay, or Non Imm O visas.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, BusNo8 said:

Visas can be extended. It's commonly referred to as a 'visa extension'

It's good to keep language precise, but this is a nitpick

Not Nit-Picking but Visas cannot be extended, it's your permission to stay granted by that Visa which is extended. 

Your Visa expires on 1st use if it's a Single Entry or at the Visa Expiry date (often called "Enter Before Date")

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

And in both cases your visas were issued by a Thai Embassy/Consulate, which is what they do, issue visas.

The DTV will be no different.

It might be similar to the METV. You probably will need to make the Destination Thailand visa at your home embassy so they can easily check the income proofs in your native language.

1 minute ago, El Matador said:

It might be similar to the METV. You probably will need to make the Destination Thailand visa at your home embassy so they can easily check the income proofs in your native language.

You seem so sure about this as well, that it has to applied for outside of the country. Can you give me a source? I mean, it sounds plausible but a confirmation would be nice.