Who's going to the Philippines then?

1 hour ago, 2baht said:

Bob, you obviously don't hang out with educated office girls! 

I work with educated office girls, and worked as they are dumb a f.... too.

• Haha 1

You did leave thailand beforw, never to return, had it with all the bulls**t here and were sitting at the airport ready to depart for a new life in Cambodia (I think it was). Then you came back after a few days. 

i do like your posts Bob as you provide some light relief from my mundane office job, but would you say that you were something of an attention seeker, at all?

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, nikmar said:

but would you say that you were something of an attention seeker, at all?

no more so than any other AN member.. 

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, ChumpChange said:

Perfect place for you Bob Scat. Food is shiite, prossies up the wazoo, English accents annoying AF, filth of the highest order, violent crime highest in SE Asia, awful infrastructure, typhoons, religious evangelism, wholesale poverty, what's not to love about it? Just promise us you won't come back. And, if you forget to write us about it, no worries; nobody will even notice. Good riddance. 

Besides the food and typhoons, you just described Thailand, with the exception also, although Thailand is in the top 10 in violent crime, Myanmar is at the top now. Some areas of the Philippines, like all countries, have more violent crime than average., but it's localized. image.png.b0a327f0b7995b61ffda0fa2e0aa1ef5.png

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, ChumpChange said:

Perfect place for you Bob Scat. Food is shiite, prossies up the wazoo, English accents annoying AF, filth of the highest order, violent crime highest in SE Asia, awful infrastructure, typhoons, religious evangelism, wholesale poverty, what's not to love about it? Just promise us you won't come back. And, if you forget to write us about it, no worries; nobody will even notice. Good riddance. 

Violent crime?

2 weeks ago I was in Manila my first time 

On the Monday & Tuesday night what was it MAY 20/21 I walked up and down the Manila subway , didn't see any crime and I did it two nights in a row from 10pm to midnight 

I was stopped by 2 tattoed singlet wearing guys at a "rough" subway station called Abdo Santos,they were undercover railway police ,they were very polite to me and didn't look like police,they advised me they had been notified by their CCTV office that I had been walking around for a few hours ,but they were firm but polite to me 

There are like 2 or 3 security guards at every station ,

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

I heard from one source that Bob's Actually a boy who recently celebrated his 10th birthday.

That's got to be the most unfunny reply I have read so far this year.. 

Bob. 

• Sad 1

I went to Cebu & Palawan a couple of months ago to check them out as possibles.  Much poverty in Cebu, but the people were incredibly friendly and I didn't feel unsafe.  Good international travel connections too.  Palawan was amazing, I went to El Nido.  Stunning beaches and by far the best food I've ever had in the Philippines.  The area seems to have had more money shoved into the infrastructure, but still a few issues with power and dumped rubbish.  Plenty of bars and massage places too.  Top of my Philippines list at the moment.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I think the subway CcTv people must have my picture posted up

... You been doing something you shouldn't, gg? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Besides the food and typhoons, you just described Thailand, with the exception also, although Thailand is in the top 10 in violent crime, Myanmar is at the top now. Some areas of the Philippines, like all countries, have more violent crime than average., but it's localized. image.png.b0a327f0b7995b61ffda0fa2e0aa1ef5.png

The majority of violent crime in Thailand is related to domestic violence, romantic relationships gone bad, jealousy, business or financial disputes, etc. So, very often, the people involved in violent crime know each other. Is most other countries violent crime is more random. Gang violence, robberies, etc. This means that the chances of a foreigner (who is minding his own business) being violently attacked in Thailand is much lower than in the Philippines. Also, alcohol is a major contributor to emotional outbursts of violence in Thailand. Meth is also another big contributor. If there was greater control over these substances then you would probably see a significant drop in domestic violence in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Violent crime?

2 weeks ago I was in Manila my first time 

On the Monday & Tuesday night what was it MAY 20/21 I walked up and down the Manila subway , didn't see any crime and I did it two nights in a row from 10pm to midnight 

I was stopped by 2 tattoed singlet wearing guys at a "rough" subway station called Abdo Santos,they were undercover railway police ,they were very polite to me and didn't look like police,they advised me they had been notified by their CCTV office that I had been walking around for a few hours ,but they were firm but polite to me 

There are like 2 or 3 security guards at every station ,

Anecdotal. Speaks nothing to the persistent violent dangers of physical harm during a robbery if living in Manila. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

The majority of violent crime in Thailand is related to domestic violence, romantic relationships gone bad, jealousy, business or financial disputes, etc. So, very often, the people involved in violent crime know each other. Is most other countries violent crime is more random. Gang violence, robberies, etc. This means that the chances of a foreigner (who is minding his own business) being violently attacked in Thailand is much lower than in the Philippines. Also, alcohol is a major contributor to emotional outbursts of violence in Thailand. Meth is also another big contributor. If there was greater control over these substances then you would probably see a significant drop in domestic violence in Thailand. 

Gang violence isn't random, but it is the most prevalent of homicides. There is a lot more random violence here than most anywhere else, especially in the US. Poor countries breed poverty, which means some will do anything for money. Foreigners are attacked here every week. You only hear of some of them. The Philippines has more terrorism than Thailand, so that's much of the violence. There are less robberies here than in the US, but violent gun crime matches it there. Most crime here is Thai against Thai of course, and it also is a lot higher than you'd think. There is more TV coverage in the US than here, so most of what happens here, being local, won't make it to the new stations, unlike in the US where violence is top billing. News here involves snakes in homes, gold store being robbed by people on scooters, traffic accidents and deaths, and things that would never make the news elsewhere. There are many gangs here, and much of what happens within them you'll never hear about. Domestic violence is high everywhere, as is bad parenting, which breeds it.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChumpChange said:

Anecdotal. Speaks nothing to the persistent violent dangers of physical harm during a robbery if living in Manila. 

Well you can get robbed on the street in any city,I'm sure someone got robbed in Sydney last week,same with London ,same with Melbourne,same with Los Angeles 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Gang violence isn't random, but it is the most prevalent of homicides. There is a lot more random violence here than most anywhere else, especially in the US. Poor countries breed poverty, which means some will do anything for money. Foreigners are attacked here every week. You only hear of some of them. The Philippines has more terrorism than Thailand, so that's much of the violence. There are less robberies here than in the US, but violent gun crime matches it there. Most crime here is Thai against Thai of course, and it also is a lot higher than you'd think. There is more TV coverage in the US than here, so most of what happens here, being local, won't make it to the new stations, unlike in the US where violence is top billing. News here involves snakes in homes, gold store being robbed by people on scooters, traffic accidents and deaths, and things that would never make the news elsewhere. There are many gangs here, and much of what happens within them you'll never hear about. Domestic violence is high everywhere, as is bad parenting, which breeds it.

You can only "harm minimise" your chances of street robberies 

I must admit I felt pumped up or adreline flowing when I walked upm& down the Manila subway all the way from Abdo Santos to Taft Ave station...I loved the feeling...the fear ...the looks...the strange environment....I loved that feeling ...just the fear of the unknown...it's hard to describe 

Anyone want to join me in about September to do it all again?

Edited by georgegeorgia

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

You can only "harm minimise" your chances of street robberies 

No one tried to attack me in Manila ,I had guys with no shirt on asking for money ,but this happens in Australia far more particularly in Australian country cities which I avoid 

I would rather walk the streets of Manila at night than take my chances in Australia 's Alice Springs or Townsville 

Better to stay indoors at night in any big city.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Better to stay indoors at night in any big city.

The Country towns in Australia are the violent not the big cities 

I won't tell you why the Country towns like Moree ,Bourke,Alice Springs, Townsville etc are violent places because I certainly don't want to sound racist 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well you can get robbed on the street in any city,I'm sure someone got robbed in Sydney last week,same with London ,same with Melbourne,same with Los Angeles 

Useless tangential what aboutism.

At the end of the day, the streets of Manila are more dangerous than most SE Asian cities and the place is a toilet. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 1:44 AM, bob smith said:

anyone else had enough of all the silly games here?

i've got a sack full of cash in the safe that's just collecting dust.

never been to the Phils but by god them women look amazing.

friendly too!

and good english levels.

temptation is very high at the minute.

anyone else feeling the same way?

bob.

I decided to give the PI a go this winter.  Partly because of the tax and visa hassles,  but also because I got hassled on re-entry last time for the first time in 20 years, despite following all the rules.  Didn't make me feel very welcome.  The horrible air pollution I experienced last trip is another reason.   We shall see how it goes in 2025 after the dust settles, and depending on what I think of my stay in the PI this winter, but it looks like Thailand has lost my winter business for 2024.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, shdmn said:

I decided to give the PI a go this winter because of all the tax and visa hassles in Thailand.  Also because I got hassled on re-entry last time for the first time in 20 years, despite following all the rules.  Didn't make me feel very welcome.  The horrible air pollution I experienced last trip is another reason. 

I've not felt very welcomed for the past 20years

😂😂

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

The other thing is that the place isn't good value for money at all. It was a bit 20 years ago, when the Peso was weaker than the Baht and when many things there were either the same price or cheaper than in Thailand, but, now, fookin faghettaboutit. You will pay more there for the same things and often they will be less desirable in one way or another.

So many whiny old lumps in the hub of retired moaners act as if they are fed up with Thailand and that they are going to run away to some greener paradise over in Flippers. Spend a year there and you'll come running back. Nevermind a year, I'll bet you a Khao Pad most will want to pull out after 6 months. 

Add to that the fact that the financial requirements for money in the bank to get a retirement visa in the Philippines is almost 2 million Baht equivalent. Go for it!

Edited by ChumpChange
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

It's a dump for those who cannot afford to live in Thailand.

Besides booze, just about everything else is more expensive than Thailand.

Edited by shdmn
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

I decided to give the PI a go this winter.  Partly because of the tax and visa hassles,  but also because I got hassled on re-entry last time for the first time in 20 years, despite following all the rules.  Didn't make me feel very welcome.  The horrible air pollution I experienced last trip is another reason.   We shall see how it goes in 2025 after the dust settles, and depending on what I think of my stay in the PI this winter, but it looks like Thailand has lost my winter business for 2024.

Depending on what part of the Philippines your in.

Duamagette,Palawan ,Boracay ,Cebu are the nicest in my opinion