Sexual assault in an international school

pedro01

1 hour ago, sungod said:

I sincerely hope you are not home schooling in English grammar, yours is appalling.

Nice statement bro. It seems it would go without saying to anyone not obtuse that I don’t pontificate much on my grammar on here, nor should anyone. Are we supposed to be Hemingway on here or something. I can do ye ol grammar just fine if I need to.  

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

When do the kids learn to share, resolve conflict (which will serve them later at work), and to wait their turn, and learn social skills, and how to navigate social hierarchy?  30 kids in a class is a mixed blessing/curse.  Great preparation for thriving in the office, that's going to look much the same.

People continuously amaze me. Idk bro when they are with their friends. When they are doing activities they love and are passionate about, even with a few of their friends who hopefully share the same passions. 

I think the better question is why are we locking active kids up in classrooms in the physical primes of their lives. Why are we not letting them develop passions they have? 

Classroom setting is a fabricated environment that’s been manipulated into the collective conscious to make us better tax payers. School isn’t some amazing place where children unlock their minds. It’s a quasi jail sentence for most of them. And don’t even get me started on teachers. Why don’t people admit their kids’ teachers can be god only knows what kind of perverts or psychos. And I know from experience none of them care. Most of them only care about good students in my experience. 

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, pedro01 said:

My daughter (half English/half Thai) was sexually assaulted 2 times this week on a school trip. In one case a boy groped her in the swimming pool, then yesterday she was surrounded by a gang of 4 boys who started to touch her butt and breasts. One of the students in the latter attack had already been 'punished' for taking photographs up my daughters skirt. The punishment was suspension. For this offence his punishment is going to be "isolation" - so he's allowed at school but is supposed to stay away from my daughter. After 2 assaults. 

In the oldest attack, my daughter was surrounded by boys again and they started pulling on her bra. Two attacks occurred on school grounds and the other two on a school residential trip in Rayong.

That totals 4 sexual assaults against my daughter - all under school supervision. This is not just happening to my daughter at the school - but the girls are too afraid to come forward because they fear what the boys will do.

I would like your thoughts on civil/criminal action in this case. At the end of the day - it's sexual assault on a minor. Any good tips on lawyers would be good too!

Methinks you're jeopardising your case by going public here..this is a private matter between you and the Police..get moving!

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, DavisH said:

Go to the press if you are not satisfied with the school's repercussions. The school won't be named for obvious reasons, but word will spread as to which school it is. School's always want to stay out of the news for issues like this. Try Amarin tv. 

I totally agree with this suggestion... go to the press get the school well known for this kind of crap!  As mentioned, international schools here usually are more expensive that the universities here so no family should be subjected to this type of harassment.  HS is rough enough mentally and to add this to it makes it even worse.  If the school can't fix it then it should be closed!

10 hours ago, sungod said:

I sincerely hope you are not home schooling in English grammar, yours is appalling.

Not everyone who stays here is from England or the United States, a little respect would be in order.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Not everyone who stays here is from England or the United States, a little respect would be in order.

No, he is talking about home schooling.

Wonder if his Thai is any better?

Edited by sungod
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, pedro01 said:

This happened last night. The school did not contact me at all. This morning my daughter called me to explain what happened - apparently one of the teachers told her to make the call. 

I sent a strongly worded email to the school about it and the "head of secondary" called me 30 mins after sending. Not the headmaster, not the school owner - it only warranted contact from the head of secondary. He had nothing to say at all. He tried to explain why I'd gotten no call about it - like "we were still gathering details" - well how about f*** the details and let me know immediately when my daughter is assaulted. But how cowardly to not call, eh?

One lawyer is suggesting criminal action against the school, the students and the parents of those students. They are also suggesting a report to the ministry of education.

But how messed up is this? I'll have to take my daughter out of that school to protect her - yet those committing sexual assault get to stay.

Absolutely not! don't penalize the victim as they try to do here so often.  Make the school terminate permanently those students responsible for this - yeah they prob have rich parents but unless someone doesn't stop this type of activity, it will probably only get worse.  The press is your best bet it seems to me unless the school penalizes those responsible to your satisfaction!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thainet said:

The worst thing is the mental state of the girl after transgressions like this. My daughters best friend had similiar assaults at a well known Bangkok School about 8 years ago, and she went into a depressive shell for a very long time and still has nightmares. The boys of course (all rich family) were given some school cleaning duties for a week. This behavior really sucks.

Yessir, penalize the victim yet let the rich skate and then when they do something really bad it is too late!  Stop this type of activity immediately by kicking those kids responsisble out of school!

14 hours ago, pedro01 said:

That totals 4 sexual assaults against my daughter - all under school supervision. This is not just happening to my daughter at the school - but the girls are too afraid to come forward because they fear what the boys will do.

These boys need to learn ' respect ' .

As that is not taught in Thai schools , I would ask your daughter to clearly indentify them , and pay somebody thai to teach them a lesson that is not normally taught in school ... that does not mean that violence has to be implied , but they need to learn some respect . There are 199 ways to do that in a way they won't forget .

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

My daughter (half English/half Thai) was sexually assaulted 2 times this week on a school trip. In one case a boy groped her in the swimming pool, then yesterday she was surrounded by a gang of 4 boys who started to touch her butt and breasts. One of the students in the latter attack had already been 'punished' for taking photographs up my daughters skirt. The punishment was suspension. For this offence his punishment is going to be "isolation" - so he's allowed at school but is supposed to stay away from my daughter. After 2 assaults. 

In the oldest attack, my daughter was surrounded by boys again and they started pulling on her bra. Two attacks occurred on school grounds and the other two on a school residential trip in Rayong.

I would like your thoughts on civil/criminal action in this case. At the end of the day - it's sexual assault on a minor. Any good tips on lawyers would be good too!

You sound Canadian. Who else would actually write the word eh? I know, I do and I'm a Canuck.

Go to a lawyer. Then let him/her go to the media and call the Canadian Embassy.

Get the Canadian media involved. Call the Canadian Embassy. The new Canadian Ambassador is unique. She is the first and only Ambassador to a country in which she was born! She is Lao, born here and emigrated to Canada at a very young age. She is the Canadian Ambassador to Thailand, Lao and Cambodia. File a complaint with her. Then go to the Canadian media. They'd run with this and then talk about the school losing face!

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

A bit harsh to expel students for this I think.

Why? A serious assault like that described would almost certainly lead to expulsion in the British private sector.The lazy boys will be boys defense won't wash.

• Like 2

Haven't contacted the police yet as I'd prefer to let the lawyer do that. Plus - they are still on a school trip. Those buys got sent home but still...l

Jeez get your daughter out of the school trip and help her get over this.

File a complaint at the police asap.

Contact the head of the school and demand that the boys get kicked out of the school.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is, and has been happening weekly all over Thailand for a very long time, both by other students and by teachers, and much of the time nothing or very little is being done to punish those involved, which means less girls will be willing to come forward and name their predators, so this will continue to escalate, because if nothing's done, predators will continue to prey. First of all, believe your daughter what she is saying, and stand by her side. Your daughter should be removed immediately, and the international police should be made to file charges also immediately. Forget local police as they'll do nothing. I know what I would do if this happened to my daughter, and this is reason one why I will leave this country with my daughter as soon as I can arrange moving back to Texas with her. You can google a hundred links about this problem. This is but one...............https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-organisations-demand-stronger-action-against-sexual-harassment-in-education

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

A bit harsh to expel students for this I think.

Surely should be dealt with so they know not to do it again, but expelling  15 year old boys ruining their education, or involving police, media and lawyers is a bit much. They are just learning.

If a teacher did it then castrate him, but 15 year old boys pulling at girls bra straps need to be given a second chance. Part of growing up.

If I was the father I would give the boys a good clip around the ear and a stern warning after school one day.

But not involve all the others.

At 15  boy should know, and have been taught, respect and off limits behavior, by their DADS. This country has about as high absent dads than any other place on earth, and this is why many aren't being taught respect for women. Buddhism also teaches them that girls, and women, are inferior, which tells them they can do anything they want to them. These boys deserve charges, expulsion and a record, nothing less. Hitting your son after he does this will not solve the problem because this is sexual abuse and control, and that's ingrained behavior that needs professional help.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, impulse said:

Most of us work for a living, and very few have the training to teach, even in subjects where we're experts.  Knowing something inside and out isn't the same as teaching it. 

It's an admirable endeavor.  But not practical for most families.

Thank you. The idea that all parents are as capable to teach flies in the face of reality. OK, I am rather prejudiced but based on 41 years teaching at the US middle school, high school and college undergraduate levels.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, pedro01 said:

My daughter (half English/half Thai) was sexually assaulted 2 times this week on a school trip.

Sorry this happened to your daughter and I hope she'll be ok. 

Unfortunately this has been happening in schools everywhere for decades.  I'm not defending the boys actions but this even happens in all girls schools and all boys schools.  My sister went to an all girls public school and had girls tease her about her breasts and try pulling off her bra, I went to an all boys public school and saw some boys getting sexually ridiculed because they were developing faster and then later the same thing happened to the ones who developed slower.  Puberty is a complex time for kids. 

The school needs to sit all the students (perhaps of a certain age) down and give them some education about puberty and what is and isn't acceptable now that they are all developing.  

I suspect however that sexual health topics are not taught very well, if at all.

• Agree 1