does 5G require an up to date modem?

this gives me a chance to ask: my tenant is using the 3BB 4 G package. the modem is about 5 years old (it came free from 3BB). he wants to sign up for the 5G package, called Super Hi Speed: download speed is 2,000 GB and upload speed remains at 1,000 GB. cost 1399 + VAT. my question is, do i need to upgrade the modem? the 3BB service centre says 'no worries' , but my tenant is going to be doing musical studio work which will be uploaded and downloaded. any advice, ? thanks.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, paddypower said:

this gives me a chance to ask: my tenant is using the 3BB 4 G package. the modem is about 5 years old (it came free from 3BB). he wants to sign up for the 5G package, called Super Hi Speed: download speed is 2,000 GB and upload speed remains at 1,000 GB. cost 1399 + VAT. my question is, do i need to upgrade the modem? the 3BB service centre says 'no worries' , but my tenant is going to be doing musical studio work which will be uploaded and downloaded. any advice, ? thanks.

Do you know what standard it conforms to? If it accepts 802.11ax standard then it will be happy with 5G

Edited by Photoguy21

9 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Do you know what standard it conforms to? If it accepts 802.11ax standard then it will be happy with 5G

G

reat info. i  will check. thanks !  i forot to ask, will that info be marked on the modem itself?  I live in a different part of Thailand from my tenant, who  is not very IT literate

Posted (edited)

The 2gb service will need a router with 2.5gb wan/lan ports to connect from the ont to the router.

I would think if the service is upgraded to 2GB then the network provider will provide a new router to handle that.

Check the details of your existing router. The router name and model number should be on the bottom label.

Here is what 3BB provides for that 2GB service

3BB_SuperHighSpeed-2Gbps-A2-CO-1-e1710500908126-1143x1536.png

Edited by freeworld
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paddypower said:

G

reat info. i  will check. thanks !  i forot to ask, will that info be marked on the modem itself?  I live in a different part of Thailand from my tenant, who  is not very IT literate

No problem, Telecommunications is what I do for a living.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

You mention 4G to 5G, so that's the cellular service it's connecting to. There will be two different things that would need to be in order to for it to work and get the best speeds. As mentioned ^^^ up there, I'd expect 3BB to give you the necessary hardware anyway.

1.) Whatever the SIM card plugs into will need to support 5G. (which is not the same as 5GHz, which refers to the wireless connection, 5G is all about the cellular connection outbound to 3BB).

2.) The wireless router (which may well be the same box as the SIM card plugs into) would need to support 802.11ax (WIFI 6), as will your phone / tablet / laptop that you'll be connecting via wireless. This is the wireless connection from the modem/router to your own devices.

• Thanks 1

What computer will this internet connection be running on?  To get the full benefit of this internet speed a Cat8 wired connection should be used. 

Most computers have a 1 gigabit LAN port. (1000Mbps bandwidth)  Newer computers have a 2.5 gigabit LAN port. (2500Mbps bandwidth) 

No point paying for a 2000Mbps internet connection if your computer only has 1 gigabit LAN port. 

21 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

No problem, Telecommunications is what I do for a living.

But you didn't realise that 5G and 4G are wireless cellular technologies, and that 3BB doesn't offer any of those?

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CallumWK said:

But you didn't realise that 5G and 4G are wireless cellular technologies, and that 3BB doesn't offer any of those?

Neither does AIS, I have checked my own router. Having said that 5G for most people unless you are downloading huge files or playing games on the internet is not going to give you very much. Yes it is faster but for most things you are talking a couple of seconds faster which is nothing to get upset about. If you really want to get the facility to handle 5G then some thing like NetGear would be a good choice but they are very expensive. For most commonly used internet facilities 5G will not give any significant saving. Only, as I said if you are downloading massive files or playing high end online games.

Edited by Photoguy21

On 6/1/2024 at 1:57 PM, Photoguy21 said:

Neither does AIS, I have checked my own router. Having said that 5G for most people unless you are downloading huge files or playing games on the internet is not going to give you very much. Yes it is faster but for most things you are talking a couple of seconds faster which is nothing to get upset about. If you really want to get the facility to handle 5G then some thing like NetGear would be a good choice but they are very expensive. For most commonly used internet facilities 5G will not give any significant saving. Only, as I said if you are downloading massive files or playing high end online games.

interestingly, my tenant is a musician. has dropped 4 albums. planning on doing a 5th, using session men online. i imagine he will also be looking for a studio tecki to master the album. i'll mention netgear to him. never heard of it. tks.

21 hours ago, paddypower said:

interestingly, my tenant is a musician. has dropped 4 albums. planning on doing a 5th, using session men online. i imagine he will also be looking for a studio tecki to master the album. i'll mention netgear to him. never heard of it. tks.

It isn't one that many people would automatically think of but it is a very high quality brand

• Thanks 1

you'll might like this one: originally, 3BB in Phuket had me sign the contract for the ''SuperSpeed service''. they quoted me 1399+VAT. offered an 8% discount for repayment of 12 months. went back to my home province and visited 3bb at Surathani yesterday. they printed out a bill that I owned them 2224 baht. Their explanation: this was a service charge for UPGRADING  the contract from 749/mo to 1399/mo. go figure.