Police break up network aiding foreigners to stay in Thailand

webfact

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Presnock said:

you mean like "agents"?

Yes, and any one in between on both side of the devid, It's a big business out there and it has been so for many years already, as those on the other side also looking to supplement their government's salary with some extra income and it's goes all the to the top...

Edited by ezzra
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

...but gave no specific details in the story. Other than the business must not have more than 49% foreign ownership. A very greay area as to what is "fraudulent" or "bogus". The companies were formed as per the rules by all accounts (or they wouldn'y have been formed) but the authorities don't like it. OK the Thai lady has interests in 270 companies. Maybe she's just very successful. It is clear that "authorities" do not like what is happening but to call it "fraud" is a stretch. Who is actaullay being defrauded and losing their money? As usual the story is light on specifics.

I think that the companies did no actual business other than holding a condo in which the Russian resided. And yet the Russian obtained a work permit via the company so as to be able to stay in Thailand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Foreigners, accused of operating a business without a permit, are summoned at Central Investigation Bureau in Bangkok, Thailand, Friday, May 31, 2024. (AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit)

Thai police have dismantled a vast network that illicitly assisted foreigners, primarily Russians, in securing long-term stays in Thailand through fraudulent means involving shell companies, officials reported on Friday.

The operation, spearheaded by a 45-year-old Russian woman and a Thai accomplice, facilitated foreign residency by setting up bogus companies. This network, based in Phuket, involved the Thai woman being listed as an executive or shareholder in over 270 companies. Under Thai law, while foreigners can operate businesses, they must do so as part of a joint venture with Thai nationals, holding no more than 49% ownership to protect local economic interests.

The fraudulent scheme worked by listing foreigners as business shareholders or employees of these shell companies, thus enabling them to obtain work permits. Commander Puttidej Bunkrapue of the Economic Crime Suppression Division detailed how this service circumvented legal requirements for business operations and work permits.

Thailand_Crime_24152274442646.jpg

Foreigners, accused of operating a business without a permit, are summoned at Central Investigation Bureau in Bangkok, Thailand, Friday, May 31, 2024. (AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit)

The crackdown led to charges against 98 foreigners, including 68 Russians, accused of operating businesses without proper permits. This offense is punishable by up to three years in prison and a fine of one million baht (£22,000). Additionally, 37 Thais have been implicated in related offenses.

This illicit network is believed to have been active since 2016, with a notable surge in clients following Russia's invasion of Ukraine in 2022. Chief investigator Krit Woratat confirmed that over 50 foreigners had been officially charged by Friday.

Phuket, a well-known tourist hotspot, especially popular among Russians, has seen an influx of Russian visitors, with over 90,000 arrivals from 2019 to early 2024. Furthermore, the number of companies registered under Russian names in Phuket has dramatically increased, with over 1,600 registrations from 2023 to early 2024, compared to about 30 annually from 2016 to 2022.

This story underlines the significant challenges authorities face in maintaining legal compliance amidst increasing foreign interest in residency and business opportunities in Thailand.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-01

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Excellent. Keep up the good work.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

The same type of “crime” is executed by thousands of foreigners all over Thailand (not only Russians). I am pretty sure that many users of this forum participated and still participate in this kind of schemes. I wonder if those are the same people who are posting “russian mafia” messages in this thread? What level of hypocrisy is that?

Edited by Hellfire
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

other than Thai law which is very specific and most likely will no change in our lifetime

American citizens are allowed to own 100% of a business per the Treaty of Amity. The Treaty was first signed in 1833, and extended again in 1966. Most law firms in Thailand know how to register a company under the Treaty.

Elsewhere, the numbers as they appear in the article seem odd. 270 companies would provide 'shelter' for more than 68 Russians, so likely there is more to come. Also, any company employing a non-Thai/non-ASEAN (who has a registered/legal Work Permit) must employ 4 Thai nationals for every foreigner with a Work Permit. 

I'm not sure this is related, but the renewal application for my own Work Permit has blossomed in size in the last year, with numerous onerous requirements. What used to be a simple couple of forms is now a 100 page tome, listing every employee, the most recent company tax return, proof of VAT payments, proof of Social Security payments for Thai employees, a copy of the DBD registration, shareholder list, bank statements...even the transcript from the last year of my highest university degree. Oh, and a Certificate of health from a hospital stating a long list of diseases I do not have.

Similarly, the Non B Business Visa renewal application has similarly blossomed in size, now topping 150 pages, including 'action photos' of the applicant pretending to issue orders, mull over key business decisions, etc.

Perhaps the additional requirements relate back to this ongoing "Operation Nominee Sweep".

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

There should be no valid reason that a foreigner cannot own 100% of a bonafide company that is usually 100% foreigner financed. This 51/49% rule is totally without merit. 

I agree.

I do agree with the x-number of Thai employees per foreign employee/director, but why should 51% be owned by a Thai?! Utter BS!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Good Morning,

Is this the first one youve busted for this Thailand ? 🙂 As if this is a shock or the first one ? 🙂 Theres many places like this in Thailand and this is no secret, Supporting financial assistance with bank accounts and so on !!!! WAKE UP !!! What I don't undertsand does that mean they have corrupt Immigration Officers  ????? 🙂

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The fraudulent scheme worked by listing foreigners as business shareholders or employees of these shell companies, thus enabling them to obtain work permits.

I thought foreigners can only get a work permit if they are employed in a Thai company with enough capital, at least 4 Thais for one foreigner, etc.

Can anybody get a work permit (and Non-B visa) by just being a shareholder? 

4 hours ago, stoner said:

they had no problem signing off on the formation of these companies and taking the fees. 

No there is not normally a problem setting them up. The problems arise at the end of the financial year was the company actually operating, were profits made and taxes paid. If a profit was made by the companies was she paying any tax on her 49% of 200+ companies. This is when these bogus companies come to light.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

This government will allow these Russians come in destroy the country destroy the legal system and nothing is really done about it.

As long they do it in the southern parts, I could not care. Heep them in Pattaya, Phuket and Samui, I'll be happy.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I thought foreigners can only get a work permit if they are employed in a Thai company with enough capital, at least 4 Thais for one foreigner, etc.

Can anybody get a work permit (and Non-B visa) by just being a shareholder? 

the BOI LTR folks can get a work permit through the BOI also but would then pay taxes on funds earned in Thailand