Vip Bus To Isaan

luigikololi

I will have to do a visa run before my first 90 days expires in 7 weeks, and as I have never been to Isaan, I was thinking of taking a VIP air conditioned bus to Khon Kaen, spending a few nights there, on to Udon for a few nights, then making my way to the border at Nong Khai. I have asked and asked many people, farang and Thai, and cannot get a definitive answer. I have also e-mailed Nakornchai Air and received no reply(I expected that). The nearest advice I've got so far is to make my way to a petrol station on Sukhumvit near to Pattaya Klang, but some threads say turn left at Suk and some say turn right, making me even more confused. Can anyone tell me where to get a ticket, where to board the bus, and what is the cost to get from Pattaya to Khon Kaen. I would prefer to travel by day so that I can see scenery and life, and a VIP air-con'd bus is essential. Any other tips/advice welcome.

VIP is the name of the bus operator. They have newer, doubledeck airconditioned buses and a good reputation. My girlfriend even used them to courier some documents from Udon to Pattaya! They depart from the Petronas gas station which is about 150m north of the Pattaya Klang/Sukhumvit traffic lights, just before you get to the Catholic church, left or seaward side. Their offices are on the left side of the forecourt, booking office and waiting room are all there.

I only know the non-stop fare to Udon is 470 baht one-way. I think it's the same bus that passes through Kohn Kaen and goes through to Nong Khai.

Have a safe trip.

The yellow bus is the Mukdahan bus. Maybe a better option for a visa run to Laos than Nonkai. Less hassle there with the new bridge. Savannaket is a nice laid back place with an interesting market. On the way you could stop at Panom Rung and hop around Surin. I thin the best part is that you avoid the Kabinburi-Korat route through the mountains. I personally saw 2 very bad accidents (trucks going off the road and down the hill) and the papers carry regularly stories of death and mayhem on that piece of road. At night's the place is awful. I did the route several times with the busses coming from Ubon to rayong. They race and compete with the Nonkai pattaya rayong bus and this is really ugly when it goes down hill.

The Aranyaprathet-Namrong road is very nice. Remote countryside and little traffic. Same holds true for most of the remainder up to Muk plus the busses compare very well with most of those on the Korat route.

By the way, from Surin it is a 60 baht modern aircon minibus ride to the Cambodian border for a relaxed visa run. Even easier than the Pailin or Hat Lek crossings.

The yellow bus is the Mukdahan bus. Maybe a better option for a visa run to Laos than Nonkai. Less hassle there with the new bridge. Savannaket is a nice laid back place with an interesting market. On the way you could stop at Panom Rung and hop around Surin. I thin the best part is that you avoid the Kabinburi-Korat route through the mountains. I personally saw 2 very bad accidents (trucks going off the road and down the hill) and the papers carry regularly stories of death and mayhem on that piece of road. At night's the place is awful. I did the route several times with the busses coming from Ubon to rayong. They race and compete with the Nonkai pattaya rayong bus and this is really ugly when it goes down hill.

The Aranyaprathet-Namrong road is very nice. Remote countryside and little traffic. Same holds true for most of the remainder up to Muk plus the busses compare very well with most of those on the Korat route.

By the way, from Surin it is a 60 baht modern aircon minibus ride to the Cambodian border for a relaxed visa run. Even easier than the Pailin or Hat Lek crossings.

Dude,

The 407 bus company is the only service of this kind. It now has one or two new VIP busses.

In Pattay it departs at the service station office just North of Central(Klang) on Sukumvit Hy(Beach Side).

The times were about 8:30A, several from 5:30P to 9P.

Cost is about 500B (forgot).

The old bus can be miserable with the smell from the toilet, extra seats added (15 plastic chairs), and the heat of the day. Pick your pleasure of dangerous night travel, or hot day time.

If you take another bus(at a different station in Pattaya) and go through the BKK Mochit add about 3 hours on your schedule.

GO DOWN TO THE OFFICE AND BUY YOUR TICKET A DAY AHEAD OF TIME. GET A SEAT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BUS. PUT YOUR STUFF UNDER YOUR SEAT. ENJOY THE RIDE ON NEW VIP BUS.

LLL

Dude,

The 407 bus company is the only service of this kind. It now has one or two new VIP busses.

In Pattay it departs at the service station office just North of Central(Klang) on Sukumvit Hy(Beach Side).

The times were about 8:30A, several from 5:30P to 9P.

LLL

This is the very same one I was talking about a few posts back, sorry for the confusion but 3leg is right, it's called "407" and the buses have "VIP" on them

Great service and 470 baht one-way. Leaves from the Petronas gas station.

All aboard!!!!

i agree w/ 3lgcwboy but this must be a new service???? only one i know as posted is mukdahan yellow bus. its a great bus but you want to get a seat ahead (in high season) but more importantly - when i used to diy my visa run to poipet seemd like the bus time changed every time i went SO CHECK.

i thin that petronas bus goes to issan proper, i think thats is actually what you want, but check it out.

Have you thought about the train? In first class of course, comfy seats and aircon. Cheap as chips and a great way to see the sights as you go. It can be slower but i find it more comfortable than riding on a bus as you can stretch your legs and have a walk around.