Marriage extension to Retirement extension

I am considering changing from marriage to retirement, my situation is as follows:

Marriage extension valid until 10 August 2024 but I will only have the 800K in the bank approx 2 months prior to 10 August. With the new visa rules now in place eff 01 June & I will probably use an agent to handle this transformation can any members plse advise how to handle this situation ?

Thanks for your feedback

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 1948wjm said:

With retirement it needs to be 3 months before submitting & then allow another 30 days for approval ?

link please

op if you can not season the required 400,000thb then you could apply for a  60 day visit Thai wife extension, if you have not already done since your last entry, excluding re-entry permit entry

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1948wjm said:

Marriage extension valid until 10 August 2024 but I will only have the 800K in the bank approx 2 months prior to 10 August.

The 800k needs to be in bank for two months prior to day of application.

Why change from based on marriage? 

2 hours ago, 1948wjm said:

With retirement it needs to be 3 months before submitting & then allow another 30 days for approval ?

Funds must be in bank for 2 months prior to application.

The 30 days you refer to is under consideration period for extension based on marriage.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 1948wjm said:

Wrong. 2 months and it's approved on the day you apply.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The 800k needs to be in bank for two months prior to day of application.

It depends on the Immigration Office. If the Op reports to a regional office such as Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai and more, he will only need to present one set of paperwork.

I report to Kamphaeng Phet which requires one set, plus an extra set for the regional.

That came to 37 pages, twice. Yes, for a marriage extension, there is up to a 30 day wait and for a retirement extension that is normally granted the same day.

There is also the option in both cases to apply for transferring a (provable) monthly income of 40,000 thb for marriage, or 65,000 per month for a retirement extension.

In addition, with a marriage extension, should your wife die before you, your marriage extension dies at the end of the extension period. You will then have to sell the house and land, IF it does not go to a family member in the will.

What kind of extension is possible during the sale of the house and land, I have no idea, or even if you can get such an extension.

It is possible to obtain a different extension for supporting your children whilst they are in full time education, until the youngest turns 25 years old.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If one can it's a no brainer. Far less faffing around, no home visits, same day approval for extensions etc.

Also if one gets divorced one doesn't have all the obvious problems with an extension based on being married.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, 1948wjm said:

I am considering changing from marriage to retirement

Don't forget to bring your wife for the change, she needs to sign an acknowledgment form. Subsequent extensions wife not necessary anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If one can it's a no brainer. Far less faffing around, no home visits, same day approval for extensions etc.

Also if one gets divorced one doesn't have all the obvious problems with an extension based on being married.

The OP gave no indication of why the change. 

Also did not mention divorce in the picture.

Granted some married guys over 50 opt for extensions based on retirement, however I certainly would not refer to it as a no brainer.

Retirement requires 800k 2 months prior and 3 month post application.

Not below 400k other months.

The lost opportunity cost is not insignificant.

BTW, OP....if seasoning of funds is an issue obtain 60 day extension to visit wife if you have not already used that. 

• Like 1

If my marriage extension is valid up until 10 August & my 400K will have been in my a/c for just over 2 months am I able to submit my renewal application on the 09 August and then request a 30 day extension whilst it is being approved ??

5 hours ago, steve187 said:

link please

op if you can not season the required 400,000thb then you could apply for a  60 day visit Thai wife extension, if you have not already done since your last entry, excluding re-entry permit entry

sorry should be 800,000thb

3 minutes ago, 1948wjm said:

If my marriage extension is valid up until 10 August & my 400K will have been in my a/c for just over 2 months am I able to submit my renewal application on the 09 August and then request a 30 day extension whilst it is being approved ??

when you apply for renewal on the 9th they will automatically give you a 30 day under consideration stamp, so you would be ok to stay, but when you receive the yearly extension it will start from 11th Aug

• Like 1

Take an agent. No need any money,except the fee for the agent. He will give some of this money to the Immigration and a smaller amount to Bangkok Bank. 

(As you already living here, you will know) 

Easy. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 8:44 AM, 1948wjm said:

can any members plse advise how to handle this situation ?

Simply by writing the word "Retirement" in place of "Marriage to Thai national" (or similar) as the reasons for your extension of stay application on the TM7 form.

As already said, though, your wife will need to accompany you to the immigration office for your first retirement extension application. Another point you'll need to bear in mind is that your initial retirement extension will be dated 12 months from when you apply for it rather than from when your current permission to stay based on your previous marriage extension expires.

Edited by OJAS

10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

As already said, though, your wife will need to accompany you to the immigration office for your first retirement extension application.

Is this an area specific new requirement? When I switched from wife to retirement extension the wife was no where to be seen, and rightfully so.

3 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Is this an area specific new requirement? When I switched from wife to retirement extension the wife was no where to be seen, and rightfully so.

Not area specific. Your immigration office for unknown reason overlooked that requirement.

Wife needs to attend.

For further extensions not required