Thai Bank Card security .

I recently saw some thing about using a debit / credit bank card to pay for fuel at Thai petrol stations and how in some cases the petrol station attendant takes the bank card away from the customer and then goes into the cashiers booth . Then the petrol station attendant comes back out of the cashiers booth with a hand held debit / credit card reader with the bank card all ready inserted into the hand held bank card reader machine and the customer then puts the bank card PIN number into the bank card reader machine . It seems that there may be some security concerns by allowing the bank card to be physically taken away from a customer and out of their sight.

The security concerns revolve around the possibility that the customers bank card details may be taken down while physically away from the bank cards owner , including the 3 digit CVV code number on the back of the bank card. Once the bank card details have been taken down , that information may then be use for nefarious purposes .

I know when I use my own bank card to pay for goods say at a supermarket , my bank card is always in view and no details are taken down , especially the 3 digit CVV code number on the back of the bank card. 

Some banks have a OTP verification. Before all payments proceed, and an SMS or email is sent by the bank to approve the transaction is required , but I’m not sure if all banks have that security option.

One idea to help prevent possible unauthorized use of a bank card would be to remove the 3 digit CVV code number from the back of the bank card, and store that number in a secure place . 

Any thoughts .

Tom

• Agree 2

Don't handover the bank card to the pump attendant, take it to the person who has the machine and observe them putting it in and making the transaction, get the receipt and the bank card back. I even do this in the bank observing them while they have my bank card.

In my home country watched my brother doing this and was concerned that they would do some trickery. He confirmed that it had happened twice to him but fortunately he was instantly alerted to the fake transactions and the bank refunded his money.

1 hour ago, harryviking said:

Never leave your cards out of sight! Too easy to scan the cards and steal whatever you have. This has happened so many times I do not understand why people are not more careful! 

Even with a camera above the card reader, it is possible to store all the data.
What KhunBENQ says is a much better idea, which I myself have never considered.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, tomgreen said:

One idea to help prevent possible unauthorized use of a bank card would be to remove the 3 digit CVV code number from the back of the bank card, and store that number in a secure place . 

You can just cover the number by a proper tape (not removing it from your card). They have no excuse to remove the cover. 
But the best is just showing the card and then they bring the scanner to you without taking your card away from your site. 
but of course do it the way you believe that is the best.

Edited by The Theory

Never let the card out of your site. You can buy a skimmer not going to tell you where but they are readily available on the internet if you know where to look. With it they can get all the data from you card with a single swipe.

Always keep your card where you can see it. Once in a hotel they said they would swipe my card but the machine was in the back room. No problem as I am coming with you.

7 hours ago, tomgreen said:

Yes. Same as your PIN, either remember it or keep in away from the card. Simples.

On 6/4/2024 at 1:16 PM, Regyai said:

Because they eschew cash in the misguided belief that plastic is safer

credit cards are safer than cash, debit cards are less safe than cash