How will promoted clubs do next season in the EPL?

Posted (edited)

A bit quiet on the footy front for a while. So let me pose a footy question to get the juices partly flowing until it all kicks off in August.

At this last season the three promoted clubs; Burnley, Sheffield United and Luton Town, must have all fancied their chances of staying up for at least a season or two. Alas, it was not to be, and all three went crashing back down last month. Similarly, the three clubs relegated back then, could be forgiven in thinking that they would come straight back up. Leeds, Southampton and Leicester were, by most accounts, good enough to return immediately. Well, it didn't turn out exactly that way as only two made it. The Tractor Boys upset those expectations, and considering they were only promoted the year before, it was a grand achievement for them to break through into the EPL.

So, what does the 2024/25 season have in store for the three promoted clubs; Tractors, Foxes and Saints? My personal opinion is that all three will stay up; at least for one season; maybe a few more.

What say you?

Edited by owl sees all

I see Leicester staying up, but with the manager leaving for Chelsea, who they get as new boss could be key.

Ipswich are a bit of an unknown quantity at this level but McKenna is staying and looks the real deal. If the chance arises to go back to Man Utd I think he will be off.

Saints are 50/50 for me. They need a regular scorer at this level and and without one they could go down.

If you think they will all stay up, then which 3 do you see going down?

23 minutes ago, champers said:

I see Leicester staying up, but with the manager leaving for Chelsea, who they get as new boss could be key.

Ipswich are a bit of an unknown quantity at this level but McKenna is staying and looks the real deal. If the chance arises to go back to Man Utd I think he will be off.

Saints are 50/50 for me. They need a regular scorer at this level and and without one they could go down.

If you think they will all stay up, then which 3 do you see going down?

The tractors are for sure will be an unknown quantity. But, I think they have good momentum. Had a great season when they were promoted to the Championship, and carried that through another season. A good mid-table bet there. 

Foxes can do better than 10th. I agree with you somewhat about Saints Champers. Their campaign got off to an terrible start, but, gradually and steadily they rose to the top six. They could struggle, but IMO, there are lesser teams than them.

Who then to go down? Bees, Forest and ??? A couple in the frame there. Wolves had a terrible end run of results. Carry on like that and they will go. Fulham must find early consistency. Too unpredictable for me. Don't think Cherries; although they lost their last 3. Can't see Toffees less than half way. Puts Saints in the frame for sure.

Teams to do well. Two Londoners to make top 6. Chelsea, although 6th this season, seemed to have turned the corner. And Palace have found something that all the lesser clubs need; belief. If they can continue that; the 5/6 spot is there for taking. Can't see Irons bettering this seasons place. United and Toon to finish about the same. Seagulls, at the deat,h slipped into relegation form. But good for mid-table.

Keep saying 'mid-table'; so what is it? Guess it's 8th to 14th; inclusive.

Top 4? Another thread for that.

40 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Aren't they facing a big points deduction?

Are you getting them mixed up with someone else? Next Monday should reveal more.

12 minutes ago, champers said:

Are you getting them mixed up with someone else? 

I don't think he is: 

Leicester taking urgent legal action against PL & EFL

It is understood Leicester could be hit with a stiffer punishment than the four-point penalty handed out to Nottingham Forest if an independent commission sees their failure to submit their accounts on time as a lack of co-operation.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1