Thai Police: is their reputation deserved?

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

If you regularly pass any Highway police stations, notice how often you see a patrol car sitting outside.

In my experience it is every time, so why are they not out doing their job?

charging their phones

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I think given the choice of 

a monk

b soldier

c. cop

that most will choose to be a policeman.  The challenge is that most that apply do hot have a high education, and the pay sucks.

We have all heard and know about the brown envelopes or the fines on the side of the road.

My personal feeling is that in order to get promoted you have to be an earner.

The police department is like teachers, and the military is severely underpaid at the lower levels.

As a young soldier in Canada in the late 70s, I can understand that as a private, we were paid crap but thank god for clean barracks and mess halls.

RESOLUTION

This is fairly simple and is sort of happening.

First they have to upgrade the standards of the police training.

Second upgrade the tax structure so that more money is coming in and less is going to corrupt business deals.

Third, take the money and give the police a pay raise, starting with the cadets.

Fourth, establish a rule that states that if you are found taking any bribe, be it a free meal or large, you automatically get fired and lose your pension and any benefits.

Extreme corruption should be automatically mim 5 years in prison forfeiture of everything your family has.

fith if you break the law or fail to properly enforce the law you are terminated on a 4 strike basis.  This goes for helmets on motorcycles and other traffic of walking laws.

Sister in law has a degree, she appliied and did the exam in 2009. They were told the pass mark was 400k, she failed!

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 4:28 AM, Watawattana said:

Where I'm from, I'm not a police nor am I a criminal, but I do know enough people who are to know that often it's not the police who screw up or are too lazy to prosecute, but the issues are more often further up the chain in the faceless prosecution and court services

I can assure you that in motor related cases, the problem lies almost entirely with the police.  How often do you see the police enforcing the traffic laws in Thailand? How many trucks/motorbikes drive around at night with no rear lights?  How many motorbikes drive the wrong way along highways (a report of a death cause by this just yesterday)? 

When a Thai person claims they've left their licence at home, are they a). required to produce it at a police station within 7 days or b). are they 'fined' 200 baht and no checks are done to see if they actually hold a licence? Answer = b). Is a receipt given for that 200 baht fine and where does the money actually go?

Why do Thai's repeatedly ride bikes without wearing a crash helmet? Could it be that the 'fines' are tiny and checks are only applied en mass at certain times of the month?  Again, are receipts given and where does the money go?

If you're going over the speed limit on a motorway and you pass a police car, what's the likelihood of that police car pulling you over?

(I have direct personal experience on all the above issues - some regularly)

I have my suspicions about some criminal cases but no real knowledge of them but I would suggest, with confidence, that if the Thai police got off their butts and enforced the traffic laws, there would be an immediate and drastic reduction in the amount of people killed/badly injured on Thai roads every week.

You mention 'crazy governments' - well I suppose the Thai government has a hand in this to a certain extent.  They know what goes on just as well as the rest of us do.  In addition they come out with ridiculous new 'road safety' laws such as being able to be caught drink driving 3 times before you lose your licence! Even then, you just say you left it at home and pay 200 baht.

There is also an issue with driver training - are you aware just how pathetic a Thai driving test is?  Have you ever met a Thai who knows who has right of way on a roundabout?  Are you aware that a lot of Thai drivers think that an amber traffic light means 'go quickly'? As for the 'flashing' traffic lights at night.....well.........................................................................

Edited by MangoKorat

The police can access corruption because they deal with criminals. The younger ones think it is a career with medical and pension benefits. The older ones think it has more than a few additional benefits.

I have met some very polite policemen and policewomen who didn't ask for anything and I didn't offer them anything.

It is really just a system that has continued for a very long time and is hard to stop without controlling the top echelons with asset checks followed by imprisonment.

The RTP at it's inception seems to have been created with a status quo from the government. We will NOT pay you a living wage, but you have a franchise, and the limit of your income is based solely on your own creativity and initiative, and you will always be protected. Is that not the case? 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The RTP at it's inception seems to have been created with a status quo from the government. We will NOT pay you a living wage, but you have a franchise, and the limit of your income is based solely on your own creativity and initiative, and you will always be protected. Is that not the case? 

35 years in our of Thailand. Never been hassled or shaken down. I do live in central Bangkok and do not holiday in scammy tourist areas like Samui, Phuket, etc

I don't see anything wrong with cops pocketing money for traffic infractions. I see it as incentive program. If you break the law fair play. If it's just a shakedown maybe not.

Edited by BusNo8
  • Confused 1

You do not join the force, you have to pay your way into it. Hence once there, with fancy uniform and sparkling medals and tokens, it is harvesting time. Those along the road collect money, albeit most of it has to be passed on higher up. Police move once you are willing to tip them nicely. 

Not all of them are like that but I've come across my share of less-than-honest crooks but it remains to be sorted out by the Thais to do what is right with the Thai police. Same with everything else in the public sector - the biggest problem is the silent acceptance and emotionless watching of how the looting goes on. 

On 6/6/2024 at 9:48 AM, john donson said:

a badge is a way to do criminal activities without consequences.... maffia are us....

horrible to read when a child or woman or anybody abused, beaten, raped and the police are to lazy to do their job...

Couldn't agree more, my wife was assaulted quite recently at her Shop, by the Very Big Lady, who lives next door who's husband owns the shop, she stormed in and hit her on the forehead with the base of a plastic water bottle, leaving a bruise Ouch, accusing her of having an affair with her husband, who was not even there,  her friend took her to the cops and she made a report, they told her wait if she does it again we'll talk to her. My wife came home crying her eyes out, inconsolable, and it took her until the next day to tell me what had happened. 

At first I thought one of her kids had died, I have never seen her so upset, as she is normally a very strong person by nature.

On 6/6/2024 at 7:28 AM, sqwakvfr said:

Mainly because getting hired as a police officer is long and complicated.  It can take  from 6 months to a year to at least get to the police academy. It's not like McDonalds: Apply on Monday, get hired on Tuesay and quit on Wednesday. It took me 8 months from application to police academy.  Then another year on probation to become a permanent employee. Most police officers in their first year are on their best behavior. I am strictly talking about how most US Police Departments hire officers.  1) Written test 2) Board Interview 3) Physical Agility Test 3) Medical Exam 4) Psych Exam 5) Polygraph test 6) Background investigation 7) Final Chief Interview 😎 Police Academy. Not so easy to quit after going through all that which is time consuming. All this that an applicant does is not compensated time. I do not know what the Thai Police hiring process is like.

"I do not know what the Thai Police hiring process is like".

..so why mention all that self-aggrandising irrelevance!?

On 6/6/2024 at 9:07 AM, sqwakvfr said:

Lastly let's say an officer pulls over a motoris for a minor traffic violation and the driver is a fellow officer.  The fellow officer looks and smells like he has had a few drinks.  His home is few blocks from the traffic stop location.  Let's say the officer calls his wife and she takes him home. The vehcile is left at the location.  Would this be corruption?  Depends on who you ask? 

"Would this be corruption?"

Very obviously, it would be.  Only those who are corrupt would claim that such an example was not one of police corruption.

On 6/6/2024 at 12:57 PM, NoshowJones said:

If you regularly pass any Highway police stations, notice how often you see a patrol car sitting outside.

A lot of that is due to the small fuel budget the police are provided with...

"Money is also a headache in every aspect of police operations, mainly in the form of budget constraints. For example, the monthly fuel allocation for police vehicles often fails to cover the whole month, and police officers have to spend their own money on fuel to keep the police cars and motorcycles going after the allocation runs out".

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2019/08/22/royal-thai-police-thailand-foreigners-country-people-force-corruption/

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2024 at 12:57 PM, NoshowJones said:

Ridiculous question.  Is there any police force, any where, that does not have police vehicles parked outside at any given time?  Have you asked why they "are not out doing their job" also?  Do you think that no police officers ever have to return to their stations? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Because I was waiting for your valuable input.  Also, I was responding to someone else. 

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Very obviously, it would be.  Only those who are corrupt would claim that such an example was not one of police corruption.

I never said it was not corruption.  Did I?  As always your thoughts are so insightful and in high demand. 

On 6/6/2024 at 3:34 PM, MangoKorat said:

When a Thai person claims they've left their licence at home, are they a). required to produce it at a police station within 7 days or b). are they 'fined' 200 baht and no checks are done to see if they actually hold a licence? Answer = b). Is a receipt given for that 200 baht fine and where does the money actually go?

Re (b), yes, a receipt is issued for a traffic fine if they request a ticket.   If the offender, voluntarily, wants to be part of the corrupt system, there won't be a receipt.

7 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:
38 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I never said it was not corruption.  Did I?  As always your thoughts are so insightful and in high demand. 

Did I say that you claimed that it was not corruption?  No, I didn't.

As always, you seem to be suggesting that your posts are "in high demand" [sic], what ever that means on a forum.  

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Because I was waiting for your valuable input.  Also, I was responding to someone else. 

Well, you got your wish.   And, as this is a forum, you were actually responding to the entire forum.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Well, you got your wish.   And you were actually responding to the entire forum.

So you are the "entire forum"?  Did not know that.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Did I say that you claimed that it was not corruption?  No, I didn't.

As always, you seem to be suggesting that your posts are "in high demand" [sic], what ever that means on a forum.  

I do not suggest or imply.  I say things directly. I am just another irrevelant member of this forum.  Of course everything and anything you say is in high demand.

• Sad 1

Just now, sqwakvfr said:
1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well, you got your wish.   And you were actually responding to the entire forum.

So you are the "entire forum"?  Did not know that.

No, I did not say that...I am part of it, though.  You seem to be displaying the logic and deductive abilities of a typical US police officer.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I say things directly ... Of course everything and anything you say is in high demand.

You're wrong, once again, with your direct statement!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I did not say that...I am part of it, though.  You seem to be displaying the logic and deductive abilities of a typical US police officer.

So you know or have known a "typical" police officer? Define "typical"?  At any time there are almost 1,000,000 police officers in the US.  Did you know the "typical" police officer as a suspect, victim, witness or an acquintance?  I doubt you would have any "typical" police oficer friends. 

Edited by sqwakvfr

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Re (b), yes, a receipt is issued for a traffic fine if they request a ticket.   If the offender, voluntarily, wants to be part of the corrupt system, there won't be a receipt.

Wrong, they pay the 200 baht because they don't have a licence.