Honoring the Last Heroes of D-Day: A Farewell to the Veterans Who Freed Europe

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Funny old world we live in. The Russians that did so much to divert a large part of the German army from Europe, didn't get an invite.

Of course Biden took the opportunity to bring modern politics into a commemoration of what happened over 70 years ago. :saai:

Putin's Russia has taken over from Nazi Germany, I would have thought even YOU could see that.....🥴

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Did you forget the USSR signed a non-aggression treaty with Germany in 1939........🤣

Yes probably not taught in Russian schools, but ultimately the USSR was indeed incredibly important in defeating the Nazis. But the Soviets were no angels to put it mildly. Look into the Stalinist gulag system for example. Politics makes strange bedfellows. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Denim said:

As did I , a very interesting period of history but I am always eager to learn.

Just yesterday I was surprised to learn that Britain and Canada shipped half of the Valentine tanks they produced to Russia . Altogether 3762 of these tanks. were sent to Russia  Many of these  saw action outside Moscow in 1941 stopping the Germans .

The Russians also sent sample tanks to Britain and America and Britain considered cloning the T34 to re equip the British army but surprisingly the scrapped the idea.

Mark Felton is not any old Youtube Vlogger . He is a respected auther and historian and has taught at several universities including 9 years in China at Shanghai and Fudan universities. Well worth watching .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Felton

There were many Valentine tanks in NZ at war's end. Sadly most were used as targets by future tank crews. Never overestimate military intelligence!

It's sad to see what will likely be one of the last ever major commemorative events for D-day where veterans participate being overshadowed by yet another Tory failure. 

But putting Sunak aside, the event was very moving. The words of Joe Mines, read out by Martin Freeman, were harrowing. When the camera turns to the old man himself, he looks such a remarkable character. They definitely don't make them like him anymore.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/7/2024 at 1:42 PM, JonnyF said:

I'm surprised he didn't claim his son died on the beaches of Normandy.

Accusations are out that Biden plagiarized Ronald Reagan's 40th year D-Day commemoration speech yesterday. People will argue, but the outline and some of the words apparently are the same.

Yep. Looked and listened. The Biden speech plagiarizes Reagan. Biden would have been better off just asking AI to generate a speech that sounded like Reagan's. That's what I just did below:

My fellow Americans, veterans, and friends of freedom,

We gather here today, on the hallowed ground of Normandy, to remember a day that changed the course of history: D-Day. June 6th, 1944. A day etched in the annals of courage, a testament to the unwavering spirit of liberty.

For years, a dark cloud had fallen upon Europe. The forces of tyranny had crushed free nations, extinguished the light of hope, and plunged millions into the horrors of concentration camps. The world watched, holding its breath, as the fate of freedom hung in the balance.

Then, on that fateful morning, a tide turned. Here, on these very beaches, men from across the Allied nations – Americans, Brits, Canadians, and countless others – embarked on a mission of liberation unlike any the world had ever seen. They knew the odds, the dangers that awaited them on these unforgiving shores. Yet, with unwavering resolve and a deep faith in the cause of liberty, they charged forward.

These weren't just soldiers; they were the embodiment of the American spirit, the fighting spirit of free men and women everywhere. They climbed these cliffs, stormed these beaches, defying impossible odds with a courage that still inspires us today.

Let us never forget their sacrifice. The young men who waded ashore under withering fire, the paratroopers who dropped behind enemy lines, the sailors who braved the churning seas – they were the tip of the spear, but they stood on the shoulders of millions back home. The mothers and fathers, the wives and children, the factory workers who toiled tirelessly – they were all part of this grand endeavor, a united front against tyranny.

Their victory wasn't just a military triumph; it was a victory of ideals. A victory for freedom, for democracy, for the very idea that ordinary people could stand up to tyranny and prevail. The beaches of Normandy became a launching pad for liberty, a testament to the enduring power of the human spirit fighting for a just cause.

Today, as we stand here, let us not only remember the fallen, but let us also rededicate ourselves to the ideals for which they fought. Freedom is a fragile thing, and vigilance is its eternal price. May the bravery and sacrifice of those on D-Day serve as a constant reminder that the fight for liberty is never truly over.

May God bless the heroes of D-Day, may God bless America, and may God bless the cause of freedom for all mankind.

14 hours ago, John Drake said:

Accusations are out that Biden plagiarized Ronald Reagan's 40th year D-Day commemoration speech yesterday. People will argue, but the outline and some of the words apparently are the same.

I doubt Biden is capable of writing a speech anymore, so IMO it was his scriptwriter that did the plagiarizing, if true, and Biden just read it out.

• Agree 1