Thai Pilots Association opposes eased restrictions for foreign pilots

14 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

So, instead of having trained, qualified and experienced pilots, we may be getting novices not long out of university.

Yes, I realise that a more experienced pilot will be in he cockpit to fly the thing, but if there is a problem and he goes to the toilet or has a medical emergency.........?

How do you think pilots with other airlines gain their experience it's through flying? 

Anyway the aircraft are usually on auto after takeoff

Teerawat Angkasakulkiat, president of the association, should be replaced - immediately. He clearly has not understood the writing on the wall. 1,200 pilots untrained due to lack of funds and hence jobless? What is he talking about? 

There are plenty of certified non-Thai pilots who would love to work for a Thai carrier. Advantage over Thailand's absolute absence of educating the next generation is, that these non-Thai pilots are trained already and do not require a training between "1.7 million to 3.5 million Baht". 

Maybe Teerawat should check with the goons at the navy and ask politely those Phooyais, if they could spare some lose change they made on the purchase of those three engineless submarines for the benefit of those poor 1,200 kiddies. Alternatively knock on the air force's door. 

If you need pilots, then get them on the market and, if already trained and certified, hire them to close the temporary shortage while start to train the next generation. But try to hammer that into a racist mind of "Thai only" with a touch of narcissism. Yet another very poor example of leadership in the 21st century.

In closing, how interested is it, that the PM has to put his nose in to each and every side story. It is an aviation problem where the bucket would stop with the Department of Civil Aviation or the Ministry of Transportation - in a "normal" country. 

Good luck!  

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, BoganInParasite said:

Half my career was in the airline industry and had/have friends and relatives in it as well but they were tech and cabin crew. Some of them had first hand knowledge of sims, line checks and upgrades being passed through means not generally requiring proficiency and competency. There are several SE Asian airlines I would never ever fly on.

Would you share what you have heard? And which carriers?

6 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

If you read any crash investigation report, it will state the pilots experience, including flight hours on the type of aircraft involved in crash, plus in what role, captain, 1st officer, and history of experience on other aircraft.

I assumed that would be the case!

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

A mate who held a senior position in Air New Zealand's engineering department once told me that apart from JAL and SAL, don't ever contemplate flying on any other Asian airline.

Good advice. :coffee1:

Ask him about the Air NZ aircraft that crashed in Antarctica. 

It's like people saying Qantas is the safest airline but they have been lucky with their share of near misses 

Read the report into the 1999 incident when the Qantas 747 overshot the runway in Bangkok ripped off the front landing gear and at least one engine. 

Was declared as a write off Qantas paid for the repair to avoid it being shown as a loss. 

Yes and I worked for Qantas as an engineer

Happy to fly most Asia airlines apart from Garuda Air India. 

14 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A fair point.

I may be missing something but if the fleet hasn't fully recovered, what are these foreign pilots going to fly?

Even experienced pilots need a certain amount of retraining on moving to a new airline or aircraft type. Young newly qualified trainees are easier to train , but the bean counters will not allow the funding for it.

how about the Prime Minister must fly on the first 10 flights of each of these inexperienced stand in  ( let's call them pilots )

as a show of confidence and good will ...