BKK Bank Anti American

20 minutes ago, nitehawk42 said:

Recently my Bangkok bank mobile banking rejected a transfer I wanted to make.

When I went to the bank and asked for help, they informed me that being an American mobile service was no longer available.

Anyone else facing this action?

My APP never worked, along with them not allowing me to have a credit card since I get my SS transfers from the US.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, nitehawk42 said:

Domestic transfer or international transfer?

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

No, never had a problem with them. Do you have your mobile sim number in your name registered with the bank?

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

No, never had a problem with them. Do you have your mobile sim number in your name registered with the bank?

I guess this means that you can only have the Bkk Bank app on one device.

4 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

Been with BK Bank for 15+ years… They are wonderful!…
I have their app and it works great… Don’t know how I lived without scan to pay?…

They have wonderful call in support in English if you can’t get a local branch to understand you…

It should be understood that the US Government has placed restrictions on ALL foreign banks…

Placing reporting and funds transfer limits and notification for its citizens…

So if you want to blame anyone, blame 9-11 and the knee jerk reaction of Congress in it’s aftermath…

Not sure about 9-11 being the reason, but if your funds are from Soc Sec, they don't want you dying, and not being notified, with someone continuing to withdraw your SS indefinitely.

Told the wife to bury me at the house and don't tell anyone ... keep on collecting as long as possible.

I haven't tried a transfer recently, but ATM rarely worked so I cancel the card, and found out they aren't allowed afterwards.   She can use to scan pay after I crap out.  

I keep my passbook transaction to a minimum, so less to copy at extension time.  12 deposit & 3 or 4 withdrawals per year so not to break the $10k threshold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nitehawk42 said:

being an American

There are lots of laws in Thailand which are positive for American people - better than for all other farangs.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there are also laws and regulations "against" them.

It might just be an American law about bank accounts in foreign countries or something like that.

I don't know if that is the case for you. But special rules work in both directions. 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

People like this are probably a major reason the US Social Security Dept put stringent rule on direct transfer of SS benefits to foreign banks... :coffee1:

Just getting the tax/legal fee dollars back that they took, that I wasn't in agreement with.   Since you don't know my circumstance, you don't understand my reasons to do so.

Do agree though, scammers are the reason for most rules & regulations.  Some of us, do fall in the cracks of being right, and the govt was wrong in their actions against us.

Actually, I think I got back or close to, every tax dollar I ever paid.   Now it's penalty & interest payment recovery time, using their tactics ... :cheesy:

23 years of collecting SS, although it is something employers & myself paid into, so not a gift from the govt.  They shafted me a couple times ... pay back is a bitch :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I guess this means that you can only have the Bkk Bank app on one device.

I don´t know that as I have never used it on more. However, it must not be on the same device as the registered sim. The registered sim must only be connected to you bank account and both be in the same name. If not, they will refuse use of mobile banking and some other services.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

I don´t know that as I have never used it on more. However, it must not be on the same device as the registered sim. The registered sim must only be connected to you bank account and both be in the same name. If not, they will refuse use of mobile banking and some other services.

I would guess the limiting the App to only be used on a phone with the registered sim the bank has on file is a great security device to protect you from having your bank account hacked by slammers...

Btw... You can use the website and login to access your account in addition to having the app on your cellphone...

Edited by BKKKevin
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

I would guess the limiting the App to only be used on a phone with the registered sim the bank has on file is a great security device to protect you from having your bank account hacked by slammers...

No, I am using it on a phone with another sim, as I already pointed out in earlier post.

55 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

However, it must not be on the same device as the registered sim.

Do you not mean that it MUST be on the same device as your registered SIM. I just tried to install it on a second phone, but it wants to send an OTP to my registered number.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Do you not mean that it MUST be on the same device as your registered SIM. I just tried to install it on a second phone, but it wants to send an OTP to my registered number.

No, I have it on another device with another sim. The OTP´s however, always comes to the registered number. That´s an extra safety for me, if I lose the phone with the application, as they will not receive the OTP.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

That´s an extra safety for me, if I lose the phone with the application, as they will not receive the OTP.

But of course, if you lose the phone with the registered SIM in it, the 'new owner' WILL get the OTP, and bye bye money.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

But of course, if you lose the phone with the registered SIM in it, the 'new owner' WILL get the OTP, and bye bye money.

Not following here. Did you just repeat what I posted, or did you just agree?

Edited by Gottfrid

14 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Not following here. Did you just repeat what I posted, or did you just agree?

Sorry. I thought you meant that if you lost the phone without the registered SIM, the finder cannot get into the app. without an OTP. 

You can log in with the registered SIM without any OTP.

3 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Subject appears quite frequently, although less so in "health and medicine";

Let's shuffle this over to Banking 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Sorry. I thought you meant that if you lost the phone without the registered SIM, the finder cannot get into the app. without an OTP. 

You can log in with the registered SIM without any OTP.

Ok, got it. However, it will be hard to go through the finger print login though. 🙂 

Edited by Gottfrid

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

My APP never worked, along with them not allowing me to have a credit card since I get my SS transfers from the US.

AFAIR most Thai banks will issue a credit card. The drawback for farangs is that the card is tied to a bank account in the card holders name.

If you want, for example, 1 million baht credit on your card, then you need to deposit 1 million baht into that account as surety. IIRC the bank will pay the credit charges, or the minimum balance.

The account cannot be closed for 3 months, should you return the credit card, and again IIRC if attempt to go past your limit the bank will not extend your credit limit and will disallow any further transactions.

Essentially, unlike western credit cards, you are using your own money to fund it, and you have already prepaid to the limit of your credit card.

Again IIRC a credit card is an unsecured loan. In Thailand however, it is a secured loan against the money you have already paid.

I may well be wrong as I got rid of all my credit cards years ago.

58 minutes ago, billd766 said:

AFAIR most Thai banks will issue a credit card. The drawback for farangs is that the card is tied to a bank account in the card holders name.

If you want, for example, 1 million baht credit on your card, then you need to deposit 1 million baht into that account as surety. IIRC the bank will pay the credit charges, or the minimum balance.

The account cannot be closed for 3 months, should you return the credit card, and again IIRC if attempt to go past your limit the bank will not extend your credit limit and will disallow any further transactions.

Essentially, unlike western credit cards, you are using your own money to fund it, and you have already prepaid to the limit of your credit card.

Again IIRC a credit card is an unsecured loan. In Thailand however, it is a secured loan against the money you have already paid.

I may well be wrong as I got rid of all my credit cards years ago.

They told me I couldn't have a credit card, and when I tried to get the APP, just to use my account, it didn't work two times, and they couldn't explain how. I think it was a matter of them not knowing I could have both, but didn't understand their jobs fully. My branch has a few ladies working there, and one, the manager, you could tell she didn't like foreigners just from her attitude, while the others are always cordial to me. When you're dealing with people, what they bring into their jobs could be prejudice, hatred, a bad mood because their husband was bad to them or just a bad hair day. The same with all officials that have your business in their hands. One will allow something, while the next will say no. I have friends who have other banks, and they have credit cards and the APP. My girlfriend has an APP for her bank, and she doesn't have much of a savings in it. I got Bangkok Bank when I moved here, as I was married back then, and I think I couldn't get a credit card back then because they knew if anything happened to me, my wife could drain the account, so they said I couldn't have a card. I've since opened another account at the same branch, but the APP never worked and I still couldn't get a credit card. they never said anything about a secured card, just that I couldn't get one. Politics or ignorance.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, billd766 said:

In other words, it's Debit Card using YOUR money. A Credit Card is where you use the BANKS money and pay it back bit by bit.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nitehawk42 said:

When I went to the bank and asked for help, they informed me that being an American mobile service was no longer available.

I am an American living here in Thailand.  Two days ago I transferred money from the US into my Bangkok Bank account.  Today I used the mobile app and transferred money from that account to my wife’s account.  I’ve never had any problems using their mobile app.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

In other words, it's Debit Card using YOUR money. A Credit Card is where you use the BANKS money and pay it back bit by bit.

Most probably, but as it has been said many times across countless forums, T i T.

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There are lots of laws in Thailand which are positive for American people - better than for all other farangs.

Which are?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, nitehawk42 said:

Can you elaborate?

You've made transfers of a similar amount as recently as when?

Then bang, "recently", a transfer was rejected? Was there any message about the rejection?

Could you make the transfer using the web/pc-based iBanking site?

Did the branch offer any document/public statement outlining this change?

What was the amount? Amounts over 50,000 baht require facial recognition registration.

Maybe contact customer service on 1333?

7 hours ago, nitehawk42 said:

No. I am an American and just made a transfer from BBL to SCB (my account) using the mobile app (on my "old" phone - I'm trying to register a "new" phone, without success to date.

• Confused 2