Uncle Sam wants to see me at the bank?

The Bamboo Grapevine has been reporting that folks who receive SS retirement checks must now go to the bank in person for transactions. If this rumor is true, then Uncle Sam is going backwards. In the past that is what I had to do and every few months that meant a trip into town to the Bangkok Bank. Pain in the butt. Passport, signed copy of passport and numerous tellers going over all of the documents.

But several years ago, the regulations were changed so I setup an account with the local KTB that offered both ATM and online services. The yearly ‘Dead or Alive’ letter process remained the same.

Is this true or not and if so, who can I complain to? Now that it will do any good, but it will make me feel better.

So, I opened my Bangkok Bank account like over 10 yrs ago in Jomtein. Been Having my SS and pension DD into account for maybe 3+ yrs. Just recently my debit card stopped working and online transfers stopped. Now, I have to go to bank every month to withdraw all cash. No more debit card with this account.

Everything stopped working at the end of last month.  ATM, mobile banking and internet banking.  BKK Bank said if I got a letter from SS that the deposit has changed to an US bank then they can convert back to regular service.  Called Social Security and changed my deposit into my US Bank starting next month.  A lot of people have recommended WISE to transfer the money.   

Meanwhile  this months SS money is just sitting in my BKK bank and I'm running out of cash.   I have been online to My Social Security about 4x a day to look for the letter they promised me they would send (10 days ago).  If it doesn't come by tomorrow I'm going to the bank and have to open a new account with ATM, mobile and internet banking.   What a pain.  The banks could have given us a few weeks notice to prepare.......Let's blame Uncle Joe.  😅

1 minute ago, pomchop said:

have them deposit into a usa bank with no atm fees like charles schwab and then withdraw from ATM in Thailand....

Still need internet and mobile banking to pay water, electricity, rent, buy stuff on Lazada, etc.   My days of going into 7-11 and begging the clerks to take my money to pay for electricity are long gone.

It's simple if you actually think about it a bit. They're trying to ensure the recipient isn't dead and that someone else isn't siphoning off the money with an ATM card. Kind of like those proof of life yearly forms you need to fill out.

Note: Wise can be set up as your US Bank for transfers…

If you have a US Wise account with a US Dollar account this is the same as a regular US based saving account.

You can get you Wise routing number and account number from your app (Proof of Account Details)

You can give these to the Social Security as your transfer bank.

Right now Wise is giving 4.85% interest on fund deposits…

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure if that's Uncle Sam or Uncle Somchai in your case. 🤔  I have a Direct Deposit account with BKK Bank and just shifted some money around online today. 

24 minutes ago, Galong said:

I'm not sure if that's Uncle Sam or Uncle Somchai in your case. 🤔  I have a Direct Deposit account with BKK Bank and just shifted some money around online today. 

Ditto.

• Like 1

And to think I was on the verge of changing everything around so that my deposits are routed to my Thai bank. As it stands now, my deposits go to my U.S. bank, and every so often I send a wire transfer to Thailand. That has always worked, so far. I don’t use online banking, so all I really need is a Thai account for my retirement renewal and access to an ATM.  I pay my rent with cash. Ditto for the electric, which I pay at the 7-11.  Once in a while, I’ll use a U.S. credit card to pay for something here in Thailand, and that seems to work ok. 

There really should be a simple solution to this problem.  One solution might be a Schwab International account. That account can be hooked with a Schwab bank account, which I think is a U.S. based bank.  And I think that can be opened up from outside the U.S. I’ve never looked into Wise.

On 6/9/2024 at 8:10 AM, LivingNThailand said:

Everything stopped working at the end of last month.  ATM, mobile banking and internet banking.  BKK Bank said if I got a letter from SS that the deposit has changed to an US bank then they can convert back to regular service.  Called Social Security and changed my deposit into my US Bank starting next month.  A lot of people have recommended WISE to transfer the money.   

Meanwhile  this months SS money is just sitting in my BKK bank and I'm running out of cash.   I have been online to My Social Security about 4x a day to look for the letter they promised me they would send (10 days ago).  If it doesn't come by tomorrow I'm going to the bank and have to open a new account with ATM, mobile and internet banking.   What a pain.  The banks could have given us a few weeks notice to prepare.......Let's blame Uncle Joe.  😅

I have two Bangkok Bank accounts. One for receiving social security, which I opened seven years ago. And another regular ATM account I opened 12 years ago. I go once per month in person to transfer money from the locked social security account to the regular atm.  I actually like the locked social security account, because it's safe from online scams. And it is where I park my 800K for retirement extension.

19 hours ago, Galong said:

Do you have US Social Security deposited in that account?  A lot of us had our accounts frozen because the US government, not Thai government.  It's an anti-fraud thing to prevent someone from taking your social security money after you die.   My bank manager said he had a case where the US government wanted their money back after someone else took the money out after the account holder had died.  People do that.

I have a separate savings account for immigration, no ATM card or access unless I go to the bank.   But the regular ATM account had social security deposited in it every month, which now is frozen.  Everything has changed now.  A bit of a hassle, just wish they had given us a little advanced notice.

16 hours ago, John Drake said:

I have two Bangkok Bank accounts. One for receiving social security, which I opened seven years ago. And another regular ATM account I opened 12 years ago. I go once per month in person to transfer money from the locked social security account to the regular atm.  I actually like the locked social security account, because it's safe from online scams. And it is where I park my 800K for retirement extension.

15 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

Do you have US Social Security deposited in that account?  A lot of us had our accounts frozen because the US government, not Thai government.  It's an anti-fraud thing to prevent someone from taking your social security money after you die.   My bank manager said he had a case where the US government wanted their money back after someone else took the money out after the account holder had died.  People do that.

I have a regular BKK Bank account with an ATM card and a Direct Deposit account that is dedicated to US Social Security monthly deposits. When I set it up three years ago I was expecting that I would have to personally go in to move to take money out, but I can do it online. 

If they change this in the future, I hope they give me a bit of notice... I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. 🤦‍♂️

I do yearly SSA Form 7162 "Proof of Life" submission.  That should be coming in anytime now. 

1 hour ago, Galong said:

When I set it up three years ago I was expecting that I would have to personally go in to move to take money out, but I can do it online. 

If they change this in the future, I hope they give me a bit of notice... I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. 🤦‍♂️

I do yearly SSA Form 7162 "Proof of Life" submission.  That should be coming in anytime now. 

I wish you luck.   It seems Uncle Sam is trying to get everyone to personally go in and get their money.   Don't forget to do the "Proof of Life" form.  My buddy forgot to do it, and it took a couple of months for him to get it reinstated.   All retroactive, but still a pain. 

On 6/9/2024 at 6:19 AM, George Bowman said:

Is this true or not and if so, who can I complain to? Now that it will do any good, but it will make me feel better.

😂 Yeah, I understand. It´s like getting a deep fried egg when you want sunny side up.