Thailand and Laos are set to launch the Bangkok-Vientiane Railway later this month

webfact

10 hours ago, Deserted said:

What sort of train are they using?

Certainly not the one in the op. That's what is used further north from Laos to China and is very misleading in the op. In Thailand it will be the older diesel locos but they will go all the way into Laos whereas now they have stopped on the Thai side from Bangkok.

4 hours ago, Spilornis said:

Have a look at the UK US or Australia where long distance train travel is not subsidized. They are often a factor of two or three times the price of a cheap discounted airfare. Railway maintenance isn't cheap.

In Malaysia Air Asia is often under the price of the train on the KL-Penang route and in Malaysia the price is subsidized.

Kolkata to Dhaka train is about the same as the airfare whereas a train within India is very cheap.

Someone pays in the end... the passenger or the taxpayer

Then look at long distance bus, van and truck traffic - do the taxes they pay, including on fuel, cover the costs of constructing maintaining and controlling the road system?

Transport and the infrastructure it requires is realistically a cost to be born by a society. If it wishes to develop. Rail is the most ecologically sound system readily available. As an additional plus, you can collect engine numbers!

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

For a change I would expect that the picture is related to the article?

The train in the article goes from Kunming to Vientiane. I have been on it recently from Luang Prabang to Vientiane. I think any new developments they are on about maybe the extension from Vientiane to to Thanaleng. From here there is a train to Nong Khai but at some stage you have to change to Thai gauge so not sure how 'seamless' it is. High speed from Nong Khai is years away.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

The photo above is confusing - it is a Chinese HST.

Please remember this new service is NOT the High Speed Train. All standard gauge HSTs from China terminate in Vientiane. 

This is the completion of a new metre gauge (narrow) connection between Nong Khai and Vientiane, linking Thanaleng (Laos) with Vientiane. There is a current metre gauge train service between Nong Khai and Thanaleng. It will be many years before HSTs will be running from China to Bangkok via Vientiane.

Picture of SRT train at Thanaleng in Laos awaiting departure for Nong Khai -

Train to Nong Khai at Thanaleng Railway Station

Immigration Office at Nong Khai Station

Immigration at Nong Khai Railway Station

https://www.thailandtrains.com/train-travel-from-vientiane-to-nong-khai/

This new link will mean Container (Goods) trains will be able to run through to/from Bangkok and Vientiane on metre (narrow) gauge tracks.

Picture of an SRT Container train -

SRT GEA 4558 / Saphan Bang Pakong — Trainspo

"Break of gauge" is no longer the chaotic business it used to be. Containers have simplified it massively.Screenshot_20240610_154355.thumb.jpg.03dbda587ddca82227e4283686124b73.jpg

Transfer of passengers is also straightforward, especially if they have to detrain anyway to go through immigration.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

First stop the Thai embassy then straight back home.  Nothing else to do in Laos.

Laos is a beautiful country and I will visit it again and again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

The photo above is confusing - it is a Chinese HST.

Please remember this new service is NOT the High Speed Train. All standard gauge HSTs from China terminate in Vientiane. 

This is the completion of a new metre gauge (narrow) connection between Nong Khai and Vientiane, linking Thanaleng (Laos) with Vientiane. There is a current metre gauge train service between Nong Khai and Thanaleng. It will be many years before HSTs will be running from China to Bangkok via Vientiane.

Picture of SRT train at Thanaleng in Laos awaiting departure for Nong Khai -

Train to Nong Khai at Thanaleng Railway Station

Immigration Office at Nong Khai Station

Immigration at Nong Khai Railway Station

https://www.thailandtrains.com/train-travel-from-vientiane-to-nong-khai/

This new link will mean Container (Goods) trains will be able to run through to/from Bangkok and Vientiane on metre (narrow) gauge tracks.

Picture of an SRT Container train -

SRT GEA 4558 / Saphan Bang Pakong — Trainspo

Been on the Chinese HST in Laos and also the narrow gauge Nong Khai to Thanaleng so get that bit. Just to satisfy my curiosity is the link from Thanaleng to Vientiane also narrow gauge so change trains in Vientiane if heading north?

Confused - what route are they taking?  If its the long awaited Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima-Nong Khai HSR project that is currently underway and planned to link up to China eventually, last time I looked (4 weeks ago), it was nowhere near finished.

The first section - Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima (Phase 1) is planned to open sometime in 2026 and the Nakhon Ratchasima-Nong Khai section (Phase 2) is aiming at 2029.  Those dates are already revised due to previous delays and if the M6 motorway project is anything to go by, there will be further delays.

Both the train and the road projects will be fantastic news for travellers - both long distance and local. Pak Chong to Bangkok for example is stated to be a 55 minute journey and Nakhon Ratchasima-Bangkok is aiming at 1hr 15m I believe.

However, as I say, none of the HSR track is anywhere near finished and the current line is single track so they may be operating the train as per the news article but unless there's another route that's been secretly built elsewhere, it most certainly won't be high speed.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

The operational plan for the Krung Thep Aphiwat Central Station-Udon Thani-Nong Khai-Vientiane route was thoroughly discussed by Awirut and Daochinda. A trial run for the service is slated for June 13 and 14.

A trial run of what?  A brand new 21st century train running on an old single track line?  What does that prove? When the actual service starts it won't be running on those tracks and hopefuly, they will be building new stations too.

As far as I can see this is just spin and probably someone trying to justify their highly paid position.

In the longer term, I wonder if they've thought about integration?  Its all well and good for people travelling between the major cities but the service will also be stopping at other places along the route. The service bewteen Nakhon Ratchasima, Pak Chong and Bangkok is likely to be very popular. Popular that is, if local transport works. Pak Chong, for example is an up and coming growing city yet it has no taxis or local bus service.

Locals almost exclusively use their cars to get around but travellers to Khao Yai National Park for example, simply can't believe that when they arrive in the area, not only is there no transport to the park, there is no public transport to and from the bus and train stations.

6 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

seems like good news. was planning on getting the Vientiane-Xishuangbanna train next Spring so this will help if it runs

If that doesn't work out, I believe it's still possible to book passage on a cargo ship from Chiang Saen to Jinghong, assuming you already have your China visa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Been on the Chinese HST in Laos and also the narrow gauge Nong Khai to Thanaleng so get that bit. Just to satisfy my curiosity is the link from Thanaleng to Vientiane also narrow gauge so change trains in Vientiane if heading north?

Yes, that is correct. Vientiane Station will become the interchange between standard gauge Chinese HST and metre (narrow) gauge - for passengers and freight heading south to Bangkok. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes, that is correct. Vientiane Station will become the interchange between standard gauge Chinese HST and metre (narrow) gauge - for passengers and freight heading south to Bangkok. 

Not correct according to Richard Barrow. The metre gauge terminal Vientiane station is about 25 minutes away from the standard gauge high speed Vientiane station. Different places entirely.

https://x.com/RichardBarrow/status/1800046052781019194

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

Seems you are as confused as I am.

With respect, no I am not really confused. It is about two different gauges. Chinese Standard Gauge High Speed Trains currently terminate at Vientiane. It will be many years before an extension of the Chinese HST railway is constructed to Korat to link with new HST Standard Gauge to Bangkok, currently under construction. 

This new short link from Vientiane will provide a metre (narrow) gauge connection at Thanaleng thus providing a through service via Nong Khai to Bangkok.  My only confusion is that there is going to be a new narrow gauge terminal station in Vientiane with no connection to the Chinese HST station! (apologies)

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, gargamon said:

Soon to be extended to China I'm sure.

How is the border crossing/immigration stuff handled?

Wondering the same thing. 

4 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, no I am not really confused. It is about two different gauges. Chinese Standard Gauge High Speed Trains currently terminate at Vientiane

My post was 'tongue in cheek'.

I just don't see how this is 'groundbreaking' as per the OP, which incidentally carries a photo of a High Speed Train - hence my original thoughts that the article related to the new HSR line, currently under construction.

I know very little about trains but I do know that it is possible to get a train from Bangkok to Nong Khai at the moment.  As far as I can see and with my limited knowledge, the only difficult bit is getting from Nong Khai to Vientiane where a different guage is used, I believe  I would hardly call that groundbreaking or even newsworthy - unless I'm missing something.

If I am correct, are they not wasting their time with whatever they are doing?  It may be a while until its completed but the new HSR line will go from Bangkok, all the way to China as far as I know.

Still trying to work out exactly what has been achieved?

• Thanks 1

I spent several months in Laos driving the area seeing the devastation of the Chinese influence and debt caused by the railway. The knock off good were just stacked ceiling high in the malls.

Buckle up Thailand.

As far as expats go, get ready for a new round of sanctions agains you.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Spilornis said:

A journey time of around 4 hours would be a game changer.

It would also be a bloody miracle.  I've travelled by train 3 times in Thailand. The first was a sleeper service from Ubon Ratchathani to Bangkok which took over 12 hours, was very uncomfortable and kept stopping in the middle of nowhere without explanation. Second was great, a 15 minute ride from Laksi to central Bangkok which cost me 3 baht.

My last, and until the new HSR service is available, final train journey was from Bangkok to my home in Khao Yai.  I'd only just moved to the area and after, I kid you not, a 5 hour journey from Bangkok to Pak Chong (+ almost 2 hours from the airport to the train station), that's when I found out there were no buses or taxis available in Pak Chong and had to call a friend to get me home.

My ex wife's village is just to the east of Korat and actually has a train stop in the village - the line then goes on through Korat to Pak Chong.  When I arrived back in country one time, I suggested my wife get the train from her village to Pak Chong and I would pick her up from there. She tried - she was firstly told she had to change trains in Korat which turned out to be wrong. Then after waiting 2 hours for the next train that was supposed to come in 15 minutes, she was told they had no idea what time it would arrive and gave no reason.  She gave up and took a van.

If this 'groundbreaking' service will eventually form part of the HSR network, fair enough but if its not, it will just form part of Thailand's already useless rail network.  I don't know if any other lines are better but all I hear is people saying 'never again'.

Still, I look forward to the opening of the new HSR link from Bangkok to Korat with optimism and if Phase 2 from Korat to Nong Khai is finished in my lifetime, that will be the icing on the cake.

8 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

First stop the Thai embassy then straight back home.  Nothing else to do in Laos.

They were my thoughts on my one and only visit.  However, I've read a few posts on here and I'm prepared to give it a second chance.  Not sure I like the stories about getting arrested for having a 'vistor' in your room though 😁.

12 hours ago, Spilornis said:

Railway maintenance isn't cheap.

Airfares are not subsidized?

Building airports isn't cheap.  In my country airports are paid for by the taxpayer.

13 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

If that doesn't work out, I believe it's still possible to book passage on a cargo ship from Chiang Saen to Jinghong, assuming you already have your China visa.

Do you have any details of this ship NDN, I've done a few trips on cargo ships so it sounds interesting.

On 6/10/2024 at 9:39 AM, Pouatchee said:

Likely old style locomotives not like the ones in the pictures.

Yes. Stupid as I am I fell into the trap of the misleading picture.

The whole thing has nothing to do with a high speed railway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The toilets with the walls kicked through and a hosepipe shared between the cubicles.  The nightlife that closes at 15:00.  No street food.  No restaurants.  No ATMs.  No sim cards.  No sidewalks.  The streets filled with packs of dogs and mad homeless people.

Come on guys its all about Laos now!

Edited by Chris Daley
  • Confused 1

Please tell us more about this service. Does the picture you used represent the train's engine unit ?

What speed will these trains travel between Lau and Bangkok ? will they have sleeping berths and restaurant cars ? Are they electric or Deisel?

7 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

I've read about it being done on various blogs and travel forums.  If heading to China, need a visa from the embassy or consulate in Chiang Mai.  There's an immigration office on the riverside road near the port in Chiang Saen where you stamp out prior to boarding.  Passage would be arranged through one of the shipping companies located at the port.

Trip upriver on the Mekong (Lancang in China) takes about three days when river level is high enough.  You stay on the boat in your cabin when the boat docks at night or when offloading cargo enroute, so don't need Myanmar or Laos transit visas.  I believe you get stamped in to China at a cargo port immigration office 10-15 km south of Jinghong.

Don't know how the covids affected this, but I've read the option is still available.  Had wanted to take the boat, but always wound up passing thru Laos via bicycle.

I did the one day route from Luang Prabang down the mekong and mini bus to Chiang mai.   Very small cramped boat.  

Only did it once.   

4 minutes ago, surreybloke said:

I did the one day route from Luang Prabang down the mekong and mini bus to Chiang mai.   Very small cramped boat.  

Only did it once.   

That would be the 30-passenger tourist boats?

This is different......small working cargo vessels, you would have a cabin.

Just a final push of the CCP in China to get its goods and political nonsense into Asia. At this point China does not have any choice, but to expand into Asia. It is its last choice. US is re-shoring, Europe is slowly coming around. Question is can it assimilate all of Asia before its total "or almost" total exit from the US. To little to late IMHO. But, what will happen is the continued anti Western campaign in Thailand. Thailand is falling in line. Land scape will change drastically in the next few years. I expect Thailand to go down hill about like Hong Kong.. A slow and steady decline.  And with the help of the CCP it will all be the US and its allies fault. All western tourists and expats will stop visiting.  Just a matter of a few years now.

Edited by Gknrd