81 year old Thai man loses 22 million baht to police impersonator

snoop1130

4 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

I guess government employees have a good salary what is a little over 600,000 amazing Thailand TIT

I guess that you have no idea what you are talking about or how it is possible to accumulate wealth over 80 years.

2 hours ago, The Alien said:

How do scammers identify individuals with substantial funds?  Banks can prevent such incidents effectively by contacting customers to verify transactions.

Anyone who has fallen prey to scammers, and has made the transaction themselves, is very likely to verify the transaction otherwise they would not have made it. 

2 hours ago, The Alien said:

How do scammers identify individuals with substantial funds?

They don't, they make random calls...it's a numbers game that gives them one successful hit out of thousands, very infrequently.

30 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

One of the big scams they perpetrate is buying land. The person in charge that signs off on it usually gets a big brown envelope from the sellers for allowing the land sale to go through, often at vastly inflated prices. 

The land, bought under false pretences to be used for a sub-station or offices etc. is never used but remains an asset of the government dept.

I don't think that you thought that assertion through very carefully.  Who is "They"?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

An 81-year old who, unfortunately, may no longer be as sharp as AN posters are.

Point that at the one I replied to instead. I was only answering the question. Apparently you are not in the sharp group of members. 😉 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:
42 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

An 81-year old who, unfortunately, may no longer be as sharp as AN posters are.

Point that at the one I replied to instead. I was only answering the question. Apparently you are not in the sharp group of members. 😉 

No, apparently you are not in the sharp group of members (to use your words); you're the one who posted that Paisan fell into that "stupid enough" category by providing his name in response to the "stupid enough" question!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

30 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Many people laughing at the guy's stupidity. I've had a phone call from a fake policeman and it's a scary experience, and hard to know if they are real and out to get you or not. 

Why would you be scared? I would refer him to my lawyer friend.

47 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Come on man.  I read about older Americans in the US getting scammed all the time.  No need to bash on the "child-like naivety" of the Thais over this.

He looks for every opportunity to bash Thai people.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Paisan revealed ....   He hoped the police would help him retrieve his home and money.

they will try to retrieve their money ...

but sadly Paisan ...  it's more than likely your money has disappeared.

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, apparently you are not in the sharp group of members (to use your words); you're the one who posted that Paisan fell into that "stupid enough" category by providing his name in response to the "stupid enough" question!

If you have a problem with that, just scroll by and leave it as is. Have a nice day! And you know, the article already provided the name, so it is still there to find for everyone. Will you contact Thaiger now and complain as well?

Edited by Gottfrid

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why would you be scared? I would refer him to my lawyer friend.

It's normal here if you do something wrong to pay a policeman to get out if it. The earlier you pay the money the cheaper.

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

Come on man.  I read about older Americans in the US getting scammed all the time.  No need to bash on the "child-like naivety" of the Thais over this.

This is a forum about Thailand, not the USA. And I didn't say the problem was exclusively with Thais.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I am no longer amazed at the child-like naivety of some Thai adults. We read of similar scams over and over again. Even telling him not to go in person to the police station was a red flag in itself. And this wasn't some ignorant and uneducated farmer - he held a responsible position.

You don't understand Thai culture - this is common to avoid a more severe penalty .

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

🤣

Bingo.

Proof?

Or is that beyond your very limited thinking capability?

Any idiot can throw wild and unsubstantiated allegations around.

Only smart people can back them up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

One of the big scams they perpetrate is buying land. The person in charge that signs off on it usually gets a big brown envelope from the sellers for allowing the land sale to go through, often at vastly inflated prices. 

The land, bought under false pretences to be used for a sub-station or offices etc. is never used but remains an asset of the government dept.

Proof once again, in the face of unsubstantiated allegations.

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

It is a problem that is world wide, especially against older people.

• Agree 1

I thought it would never happen to me - as someone still relatively young and tech-savvy - and it did in the UK during covid remote work time period buying a very large purchase.

Scammers took over my lawyer's email system and diverted me to their deposit account.

Got the money back eventually, but it was worst 4 weeks in my life I can tell you. 

Lesson for life on quadruple-checking at the end point of any larger cash transfers.

• Like 1