A Question About LINE

I have, over a period of time, received several LINE posts from strangers, always with a photo of a young woman, saying they have found me by phone number. Only two people in Thailand, other than my wife, have my phone number, both male. So how is this possible? Some accompanying messages ask if I am still a tour guide or own a restaurant. I block them, but how can people find me by my phone number when it isn't available except to a few?

TiT - everything has a price, so an enterprising individual looking to hook the unsuspecting into some fiendish scam will buy a list of numbers.

With regards to LINE - is your account set to allow others to find it by number?

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Alldar said:

You are not receiving spam calls? They call me almost every other day. How can they know my number? Same thing.

It isn't the same. Phone companies sell your number to advertisers, or Bots call thousands of numbers until they snare someone.

5 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

TiT - everything has a price, so an enterprising individual looking to hook the unsuspecting into some fiendish scam will buy a list of numbers.

With regards to LINE - is your account set to allow others to find it by number?

It is, but if no-one that I don't know has my number how can they find me by number?

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It is, but if no-one that I don't know has my number how can they find me by number?

I've had a few similar LINE messages - they don't know you, they just have numbers that they spam.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They just try every number from 000 0000 to 999 9999 and hope to get lucky.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

it’s sold by ‘someone’…. 

I get the same style of message… 

- block & delete & that’s it.

I also get the ‘group message’ thing with 100’s of stranger in  the same group followed by everyone ’exiting the group’….

Not sure what they hope to achieve or how the scam works though.

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

They just try every number from 000 0000 to 999 9999 and hope to get lucky.

Strange, when they aren't selling anything. Or maybe I don't get that far with them before deleting...

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

it’s sold by ‘someone’…. 

I get the same style of message… 

- block & delete & that’s it.

I also get the ‘group message’ thing with 100’s of stranger in  the same group followed by everyone ’exiting the group’….

Not sure what they hope to achieve or how the scam works though.

I got a gambling group site and black was disabled. But I was able to delete it though.

38 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It isn't the same. Phone companies sell your number to advertisers, or Bots call thousands of numbers until they snare someone.

So you just confirmed that many different people know your number. Not only 3 people in Thailand. So that's how they have your number and can write you. Problem solved.

• Confused 1

You probably have heard of this but could be a so called pig butchering scam where the young girl contacts you as though it's a legitimate contact but wrong number  - you reply out of curiousity - a friendly discussion ensues maybe over weeks or months - with hints of romance because you are different to other men - then they ask for funds or discuss how much money they make from x investment and then you send funds . They'll even call you but they wont be the pretty young thing from say Singapore but from a call centre in Phnom Penh. Saw a thing on it where the senders of messages often get abused by big bosses in the process too - on low pay.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Alldar said:

So you just confirmed that many different people know your number. Not only 3 people in Thailand. So that's how they have your number and can write you. Problem solved.

People who contact me are not advertisers so would not have bought my number. As far as I know. Of course, those who contact me might be a front. Maybe I should carefully pursue one of them sometime to see where it leads.

2 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

You probably have heard of this but could be a so called pig butchering scam where the young girl contacts you as though it's a legitimate contact but wrong number  - you reply out of curiousity - a friendly discussion ensues maybe over weeks or months - with hints of romance because you are different to other men - then they ask for funds or discuss how much money they make from x investment and then you send funds . They'll even call you but they wont be the pretty young thing from say Singapore but from a call centre in Phnom Penh. Saw a thing on it where the senders of messages often get abused by big bosses in the process too - on low pay.

You're probably right.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I have, over a period of time, received several LINE posts from strangers, always with a photo of a young woman, saying they have found me by phone number. Only two people in Thailand, other than my wife, have my phone number, both male. So how is this possible? Some accompanying messages ask if I am still a tour guide or own a restaurant. I block them, but how can people find me by my phone number when it isn't available except to a few?

The obvious way is that these people have bought lists of numbers and use them. I continue to get messages and phone calls from people I have no idea who they are. The obvious way for them is buy phone lists. If you have their number you can do a reverse look up and see who it is although many numbers are not listed.

11 minutes ago, Alldar said:

How do you know what is their intention in the end? So why don't you ask them where they have your number from?

I asked one and they said it was from s friend. Which it wasn't.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I asked one and they said it was from s friend. Which it wasn't.

Will be some sort of scam obviously. I don't know why it is so surprising.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

The obvious way is that these people have bought lists of numbers and use them. I continue to get messages and phone calls from people I have no idea who they are. The obvious way for them is buy phone lists. If you have their number you can do a reverse look up and see who it is although many numbers are not listed.

As far as I know there is no way to trace the phone number of someone contacting you on the LINE app.

• Agree 1

how can people find me by my phone number when it isn't available except to a few?

Those messages are not to you, they're to a phone number that happens to be yours; they haven't found you, yours is just one of thousands of numbers that are randomly called.

• Agree 1

Strange, when they aren't selling anything. Or maybe I don't get that far with them before deleting...

That's it, engage them and they will get around to it.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As far as I know there is no way to trace the phone number of someone contacting you on the LINE app.

You're right, it is not possible legitimately, unless he has someone bent in the phone company.

6 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

The only weird thing about these LINE messages that I get is that they are in English, native level, when the vast majority of LINE users are obviously Thai.

Good point.

33 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

The only weird thing about these LINE messages that I get is that they are in English, native level, when the vast majority of LINE users are obviously Thai.

Nope, and not "obviously".  The majority of Line users is Japanese.  Approximately 86 million monthly users are Japanese, against 47 million Thai.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/line-users-by-country