Motorcyclist Dies After Driving Against Traffic and Falling from Elevated U-Turn Bridge

webfact

image.jpeg

Sattahip — A Cambodian motorcyclist died early on June 13th after driving against traffic and falling from an elevated U-turn bridge on Sukhumvit Road in Sattahip district, Chonburi province.

The incident occurred at 3:20 AM at the U-turn bridge near Ban Nam Mao, on the inbound lane towards Sattahip. Na Jomtien Police, along with Sawang Rojana Thammasathan Foundation rescue workers, responded to the scene.

Upon arrival, authorities found the victim, identified as 27-year-old Cambodian national Mr. Rom Rit, lying lifelessly on the ground beneath the bridge. He had sustained severe injuries, including a broken jaw and a fractured neck, and was pronounced dead at the scene. His white Honda Click motorbike was found on the bridge.

By Aim Tanakorn
PHOTO: Khaosod

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-06-14

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems a strange place to drive the wrong way, where there is a road below, which would be easier. Pictures 1, is the overpass and picture 2, is looking down from where the motorcycle found.

Accident was in front of the rescue foundation hut, not sure if staff are there at that time.

IMG_3234.jpeg

IMG_3230.jpeg

IMG_3233.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

When I was working in Cambodia, they drove on any side and down the middle. mostly to avoid the potholes.

Early 2000's in Phnom Penh, I was in a very small car with a Cambodian girl driving down Norodum Blvd.  She needed to make a left turn at the next intersection so pulled over into the left, oncoming lane about 100 meters before the turn:

:w00t: "That's just the way we do it here"

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, dddave said:
1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

When I was working in Cambodia, they drove on any side and down the middle. mostly to avoid the potholes.

Early 2000's in Phnom Penh, I was in a very small car with a Cambodian girl driving down Norodum Blvd.  She needed to make a left turn at the next intersection so pulled over into the left, oncoming lane about 100 meters before the turn:

:w00t: "That's just the way we do it here"

So, much the same as Thailand then! 😆

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Can confirm. For same reason it was always the ladies in pyjamas who drove on the left, on some unofficial fourth or third lane

16 hours ago, gargamon said:

Of course. They drive on the right side in Cambodia, not the wrong side like in Thailand. No wonder he was driving against traffic.

Nonsense, I have driven on the right site for many years since my early days moved to OZ and driven on the left since 1974 and Thailand for some years never had an accident 

6 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Nonsense, I have driven on the right site for many years since my early days moved to OZ and driven on the left since 1974 and Thailand for some years never had an accident 

…, as of yet