Thailand Tourism Industry Slumps: Urgent Reforms Needed

webfact

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Friends have just spent four days in Bangkok.

They travel all over the city a fair bit.

They said that in that time, not one taxi put the meter on. All fixed price.

On the first day they would reject them if they said 'no meter'. After the fourth taxi they just gave up.

These folk are not your usual 'easy target' tourists.

The guy speaks fluent Thai and his wife is Chinese. Thais always think that she is Thai.

Hard to believe, I always get a meter taxi in Bangkok, everywhere. Unless its like nana plaza at night or khao san road, direct in front.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 hours ago, CashMoon said:

As a tourist i'm very afraid that they will soon introduce a breathing tax on Thai soil.  Oh, pardon me! That's what we're paying for with these ridiculous visas, isn't it?! I forgot!  Even Indonesia has introduced visa types D12 and E33G. I think Thailand is working on how to kick tourists out of the country!!!  

Not sure what you are talking about, for a 'tourist' that comes X weeks or months a year, there never has been a visa hassle or issue in the first place. This is only for people who actually want to be here long term and you would call 'expats'.

What does suck for tourists and keeps them away is that a lot of prices are too high, and little service and quality is given in return. Not to mention you now have to share the beach with rude russians, indians and the like.

It is kind of funny too, in 2014 they moaned about western people who did not spend enough while being here. To then make it harder for visa's. To then now attract like 10X the amount of that specific type of people, from other regions. So now they realize the same issue again lol, not spending enough. 10 years to waste.

They only have 2 options: lower the prices again so people don't mind the lack of quality and service OR increase it and hope you get some tourists to keep coming as a healthy industry. They still will need to make money from other things instead of tourism regardless, too dependent now. They are basically screwed.

Close all 7/11s and I guarantee you a thriving coffeeshop, restaurant and bar sector again within days. This is what killed Thailand's real charm. OR more realistic; force 7/11 to be more expensive than restaurants etc are. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

There is a growing perception that Thailand is no longer friendly towards western people.

After coming here on a regular basis since 1987, I still feel well in Thailand. Stay 5-6 months of the year there and have never had any bad experience with the Thais! I just love the place! By the way....I stay far away from Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok! 

Edited by harryviking

Reading comments and one reason that seems missed is the risk of a beating by packs of feral Thai males. Every time this happens the fallout is massive. People read about it several times, or know someone it has happened too. They ain't booking a Thai holiday anytime soon. For me if I didn't have family, friends and a house in Thailand I would never go back. Plenty of more friendly countries to visit around the world.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Friends have just spent four days in Bangkok.

They travel all over the city a fair bit.

They said that in that time, not one taxi put the meter on. All fixed price.

On the first day they would reject them if they said 'no meter'. After the fourth taxi they just gave up.

These folk are not your usual 'easy target' tourists.

The guy speaks fluent Thai and his wife is Chinese. Thais always think that she is Thai.

Did they not consider using Bolt?

11 hours ago, webfact said:

It consists of five pillars: Business Environment, Safety and Security, Health and Hygiene, Human Resources and Labour Market, and ICT Readiness.

I'd like to see the individual assessments for each of these factors.

Tourism industry slumps, education system failing, manufacturing industry shrinking, worker productivity stagnant, etc., etc., etc.

When will those Thais with power wake-up and implement real structural changes before Thailand sinks?  Answer - no time soon.  Why?  Because if the system changes those with power may experience a loss of power.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Did they not consider using Bolt?

I thought the same, it's great down here in Phuket I used it the other day reasonable price, plus you know how much before you start

• Like 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: Kapook

Thailand's tourism industry has hit a significant roadblock, plummeting 11 places in the latest World Economic Forum (WEF) Travel and Tourism Development Index, a call for urgent reforms and innovation.

Thailand, which recorded a modest 1.5% growth in the first quarter of 2024, saw its position drop from 36th to 47th in the WEF index, sending ripples through the country's travel and hospitality sectors. Industry leaders are now urging immediate and comprehensive action to address the decline.

The WEF index is a comprehensive assessment of a nation's travel and tourism industry, examining sustainability, socioeconomic, and environmental factors. It consists of five pillars: Business Environment, Safety and Security, Health and Hygiene, Human Resources and Labour Market, and ICT Readiness.

Sandy Liw, General Manager of InterContinental Khao Yai Resort, underscored the need for infrastructure improvements, especially in lesser-known areas.

"The government should consider upgrading and expanding transportation infrastructure, including airports, roads, and public transit systems, to improve accessibility and convenience for tourists. Remote areas like Khao Yai, a beautiful yet underexplored destination, would benefit greatly from such enhancements."

Liw highlighted that new highways or high-speed trains could significantly boost accessibility and tourism in remote areas.

Sukamal Mondal, Area General Manager for Amari Bangkok and Shama Properties Bangkok at Onyx Hospitality Group, views the drop in ranking as an urgent call to action.

"This report is a wake-up call to enhance our efforts in improving Thailand’s tourism appeal. While it's a setback, it presents an opportunity for stakeholders to collaborate and innovate to regain our standing."

Mondal emphasised the importance of basic infrastructure improvements, such as upgrading transportation networks and modernising accommodation facilities. He also advocated for stronger public-private partnerships to tackle existing challenges and foster innovative solutions.

Anne Arrowsmith, General Manager at 137 Pillars House Chiang Mai, urged a more strategic approach to regional tourism.

"Regional tourism needs more focus, especially in terms of increasing and diversifying international flight arrivals. Chiang Mai, for instance, has seen a surge in hotel supply, but inbound flights haven't yet reached pre-Covid levels."

Arrowsmith suggested that hosting major international events could elevate Thailand's profile.

"Securing key sporting events could greatly enhance the country's appeal. Just look at what F1 did for Singapore and how Saudi Arabia is boosting its appeal through golf and tennis events."

Immediate and targeted action from the government and industry stakeholders is crucial to reviving Thailand's tourism sector and reclaiming its position on the global stage.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Just a few days ago, they said they need to introduce B300- tourist rip-off levy to curb Overtourism.

Today, they are worrying about the Downturn of Thai Tourism?

• Agree 1

I hope tourism does improve but even more so I hope they find a way to get the balance right on it all. I have family who have come and visited us a few times and on their last trip I got the sense of them being done with here and ready for a new spot for their holidays. 

Edited by isandrew
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, isandrew said:

I have family who have come and visited us a few times and on their last trip I got the sense of them being done with here and ready for a new spot for their holidays. 

I tell any family and friends about the real Thailand ... drunken village idiots, cheats, scams the whole truth ....  they won't come here, but most already know the truth anyway.  

5 hours ago, BritScot said:

Reading comments and one reason that seems missed is the risk of a beating by packs of feral Thai males. Every time this happens the fallout is massive. People read about it several times, or know someone it has happened too. They ain't booking a Thai holiday anytime soon. For me if I didn't have family, friends and a house in Thailand I would never go back. Plenty of more friendly countries to visit around the world.

Don't forget all the traffic accidents, crazy drivers, bus crashes, hit and runs, etc.

This is not a safe place for families!

37 minutes ago, proton said:

37 minutes ago, proton said:

They reduced tax on wine months ago as a small tourist inducement, the reduced prices have yet to hit the shelves!

That's because a wine tax is a foreigners tax.

13 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

There is a growing perception that Thailand is no longer friendly towards western people.

They were pretty unpleasant to foreigners during covid, started clamping down on foreigners post-covid, and they've had a recent "foreigners bad" campaign running as well.  I'm sure it's meant to be simple optics to prevent a loss of face or distract from something, but it's hardly surprising that foreigners might begin to change how they feel.

• Thanks 1

Cheap mass tourism is an enviromental disaster to the beautiful Thai islands. On top of that the huge pressures on a infrustructure that cannot cope - eg, huge queues at airports, roads gridlocked, etc 

To compound matters the mass tourism is concentrated heavily historically over the winter months. 

All it leads to is disastified tourists, and locals who suffer having to live around mass tourism. 

Better quality upmarket reset in tourism was needed. 

By thai logic the only reforms we willl see is letting in even more people to make up for the short fall. I fully expect them to start paying tourists to come, lol