Malaysian Polygamists Getting Married in Thailand

cdn4.premiumread.jpg

Southern regions in Thailand have become a favorite spot for Malaysian men who opt for multiple marriages in ceremonial rites. The Narathiwat Islamic Religious Council in Thailand reportedly hosts approximately 30 marriage ceremonies for Malaysian couples every month, according to a report by Bernama news agency. Couples usually hail from nearby Malaysian states like Kelantan and Terengganu, but also from farther places like Kuala Lumpur.

Deputy president of the provincial council, Abdul Aziz Mamat, however, had emphasized that arranging a marriage in southern Thailand isn’t a straightforward task. Various requirements, including background checks of the couple, need to be fulfilled. Mr. Aziz refrained from explaining why Narathiwat is such a hotspot for Malaysians who choose polygamy, a marital practice permitted in Islam.

The practice is not limited to Narathiwat but extends to other provinces along the southern border. As indicated by the Malaysian consulate in Songkhla, approximately 300 Malaysian couples get married in Songkhla province every month, as reported by the Malay Mail, referring to a report by the Malaysian-language newspaper Sinar Harian. Consul Ahmad Fahmi Ahmad Sarkawi pointed out Narathiwat, Yala, Pattani, and Satun as preferred wedding destinations for Malaysians.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-18

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

And of course.....every Pattaya girl that gets lucky and marries a foreigner has never been married before....and if so, do any actually get a divorce?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

And of course.....every Pattaya girl that gets lucky and marries a foreigner has never been married before....and if so, do any actually get a divorce?

Many Thai country women never get married legally, they have a Buddhist wedding and they consider themselves married. In my case my Thai wife had a Buddhist marriage and her husband of 15 years died after a motor cycle accident. A woman having a Buddhist marriage can't change her name to her husbands family name. If the marriage take place in an amphur office such as mine did then the woman can change her name.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

And very interesting, Mohammed also said that God said that everybody can get 4 wives but he, Mohammed, can have unlimited. 😂

Christ is King.

Who is Christ?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I got confused how can she be a virgin and having a child?

the lord works in mysterious ways....contradictory to science. 

• Confused 1

I maybe confused about this, but someone tells me the difference between someone married to multiple women and taking care of them, and someone having a range of GF's between he switches daily or weekly?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mason45 said:

Many Thai country women never get married legally, they have a Buddhist wedding and they consider themselves married. In my case my Thai wife had a Buddhist marriage and her husband of 15 years died after a motor cycle accident. A woman having a Buddhist marriage can't change her name to her husbands family name. If the marriage take place in an amphur office such as mine did then the woman can change her name.

You don't have to get married in the Ampures office to get a new ID card with the name change.

My wife and I had a marriage ceremony at her parent's home in Feb. 2014, (there were no monks involved) then in November, we went to the Amphurs office in Surin and registered the marriage. I sat in a chair and waited, while my wife took care of the process. When everything was completed, I gave my wife the 20 baht registration fee, the staff gave her the marriage certificate and then we went next door and she got her new ID card.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Mr. Aziz refrained from explaining why Narathiwat is such a hotspot for Malaysians who choose polygamy

Maybe Narathiwat overlooks such requirements such as back ground checks?

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, still kicking said:

I got confused how can she be a virgin and having a child?

Ask the girls down Walking street... apparently they are the same.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, still kicking said:

OK you convinced me can i have 43 virgins as well if I join ?

In that case, it is better to convert to the prophet, and wait until you die, then get 72, all for nothing.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

You don't have to get married in the Ampures office to get a new ID card with the name change.

My wife and I had a marriage ceremony at her parent's home in Feb. 2014, (there were no monks involved) then in November, we went to the Amphurs office in Surin and registered the marriage. I sat in a chair and waited, while my wife took care of the process. When everything was completed, I gave my wife the 20 baht registration fee, the staff gave her the marriage certificate and then we went next door and she got her new ID card.

You contradicted yourself....

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

And very interesting, Mohammed also said that God said that everybody can get 4 wives but he, Mohammed, can have unlimited. 😂

Christ is King.

Allah is king?

6 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

The same thing happened to me in Klong Sam Wah Bangkok and my step daughter and her bf were our witness's. My point was that many Thai women and farangs only have Buddhist weddings so these women can't change their name etc until their marriage is legalised.

• Confused 1

Not sure I understand why Malaysian Muslim men  have to come to Thailand to have a polygamous marriage.

Does this mean that Muslim Malaysia doesn't allow polygamy? If so, a hangover from British colonialism?

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

You contradicted yourself....

No, you lack reading comprehension. We were married in a village ceremony and the marriage was registered months later at the Amphur's office. We had no marriage ceremony at the Amphur, we only registered the marriage and received the marriage certificate. 

My post was directed to Mason45's post in which he wrote (quoted with grammatical errors) "A woman having a Buddhist marriage can't change her name to her husbands family name. If the marriage take place in an amphur office such as mine did then the woman can change her name".

16 hours ago, dutch boy said:

Well, it was good enough for the prophet so why not for the faithful? 

They might frown on marrying 9 year olds.

10 hours ago, still kicking said:

OK you convinced me can i have 43 virgins as well if I join ?

You can have 72.  But you're probably not going to like the entry fee.

From past experiences  all Government offices have a different take on the law. My wife and I were shacked up for 12 months before were married. Prior to getting married she tried to change her name to mine at amphur Pak Thong Chai Korat and was refused. A close friend of mines' wife to be was refused in Bangkok. Also my sister inlaw tried the same thing in Pattaya and she was refused too. When all 3 ladies were legally married their name changes were legal.

Main reason Muslims from Malaysia got married in Thailand ( whether their spouses are malaysian or Thai) is because the marriage though registered in Thailand would have to re register in Malaysia which many couples did not do. This meant that the wife( wives) in Malaysia would not have known about the marriages. By Muslim law, to take a second wife, the consent of the first wife is needed when registering the marriage in Malaysia but is not known if it is a prerequisite in Thailand .