First hearing scheduled for Move Forward party dissolution case

webfact

image.jpeg

The processing of the contentious lawsuit against the Move Forward Party for allegedly undermining the nation's rule has been pushed back until early next month by the Constitutional Court.

On June 18th, the Constitutional Court postponed the Election Commission's lawsuit against Move Forward, setting the next court date for July 3rd. The court ordered both sides to submit their respective affidavits within seven days.

This development comes after Move Forward advocated for amending the lese majeste law (Section 112 of the Criminal Code) during last year's electoral campaigns.

Move Forward has firmly denied the allegations, stating that their proposed amendments to the lese majeste law aim to protect the monarchy from political misuse and foster positive relationships between the people and the monarchy.

However, Thailand's Constitutional Court previously deemed Move Forward's actions as "abrasive" and warned that they could undermine the nation's rule, thereby instructing the party to cease their efforts.

Pita Limjaroenrat, the former leader and current MP of Move Forward, has argued that the Election Commission's procedural lapse invalidates the lawsuit, highlighting that no party members were summoned for testimony.

Should the court find Move Forward guilty, severe consequences loom: the party could be dissolved, and its executive board members, including MPs, might lose their status and be barred from holding any political positions for a decade.

This would impact prominent figures like current leader Chaithawat Tulathon, Deputy House Speaker Padipat Santipada, and Pita himself.

Pita Limjaroenrat. File photo courtesy: Thai Rath

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-19

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

The Junta weaponizing Section 112 is fine but MFP wanting to de-weaponize it is tantamount to overthrowing the monarchy. 

So the never look at Japan. Deliberately I don't mention Western European democracies, which are far too advanced to be mentioned here.

• Confused 4

8 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

So the never look at Japan. Deliberately I don't mention Western European democracies, which are far too advanced to be mentioned here.

Being that the topic is the lese majeste law in Thailand specifically Section 112 of the Criminal Code, there is absolutely no reason to mention any other country other than to point out that this law is anachronistic. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Being that the topic is the lese majeste law in Thailand specifically Section 112 of the Criminal Code, there is absolutely no reason to mention any other country other than to point out that this law is anachronistic. 

And you are just looking for a fight. Off to the block list.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

And you are just looking for a fight. Off to the block list.

Why do you like to tell people they are going to the block list??

are you that desperate for a sense of power?

bob.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Why do you like to tell people they are going to the block list??

are you that desperate for a sense of power?

bob.

What are you doing when you have a snake in your living room? Does it give you a sense of power to kill it?

When I read a read a post I hope I'll learn something or see a different perspective,

When I write a post I share my view on something, sometimes facts or knowledge,

When someone is funny I laugh,

When someone is consistently obnoxious (anti semitic) or looking for a fight I block. Happens rarely though.

And nobody is perfect, but where is the sense of power? And how many times did you read me saying I was using the block list? One? or Two?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

And nobody is perfect, but where is the sense of power? And how many times did you read me saying I was using the block list? One? or Two?

You don't need to announce to all and sundry that you are blocking someone. Nobody cares and it just makes you look like an attention seeking tool!

...Now go on, tell me you are going to put me on your blocklist..

Give me another chuckle at your expense.

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

What are you doing when you have a snake in your living room? Does it give you a sense of power to kill it?

If there was a snake in my living room I wouldn't announce to the whole street that there was, nor would I announce my intentions towards it, I would just kill the bloody thing or get rid of it quietly..

Point is, stop trying to act like a big tough guy by telling everyone you are about to block them. It just makes you look petty.

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, bob smith said:

If there was a snake in my living room I wouldn't announce to the whole street that there was, nor would I announce my intentions towards it, I would just kill the bloody thing or get rid of it quietly..

Point is, stop trying to act like a big tough guy by telling everyone you are about to block them. It just makes you look petty.

bob.

Well since you have preempted it, have your chuckle. 

• Haha 1