Truck tyre bursting on Chon Buri road kills one, injures five

snoop1130

truckaccident.jpg

A six-wheeled truck suffered a frightening malfunction at 6.30pm yesterday, when its tyre burst while returning from marking traffic lines, resulting in one death and five injuries. The incident occurred on Route 344 in Chon Buri.

The accident took place on the Ban Bueng-Klaeng Road, in Nong Yai District. Police and rescue units from the Sila Dharma Association in Nong Yai rushed to the scene following the report.

Upon arrival, authorities discovered the six-wheeled truck, previously used for traffic line painting, was found overturned in a ditch by the road. The accident had five injured individuals lying in the median strip, pleading for help. Rescue workers provided immediate first aid and quickly transported the injured to Nong Yai Hospital.

Tragically, one man, a Cambodian national identified as Ratana Tan was found dead at the scene, pinned under the right front wheel of the truck. Rescue workers had to use a crane to lift the vehicle and extract his body.

An eyewitness, 43 year old Chamree Kham-uppatham recounted hearing a tyre explode while sitting in front of her house. She saw the truck swerving uncontrollably before it veered into the median and overturned, causing injuries and a fatality. She immediately called for rescue services and quickly rushed to help.

Investigations revealed the injured workers to be employees of a private company in Chanthaburi, contracted to mark traffic lines in Chon Buri. They were on their way back to Chanthaburi when the accident occurred.

Police have thoroughly reviewed CCTV footage from the accident site and plan to interview the injured once they recover to determine the cause of the incident and proceed with legal measures if deemed necessary, reported KhaoSod.

This tragic event underscores the inherent risks faced by those working on road maintenance and underscores the importance of regular vehicle safety checks to prevent uncontrollable accidents.

By Ryan Turner

Image courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-06-19

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

This tragic event underscores the inherent risks faced by those working on road maintenance and underscores the importance of regular vehicle safety checks to prevent uncontrollable accidents.

They weren't working on road maintenance at the time...

how many of the victims were inside the truck wearing seat belts and how many were sitting in the rear bed?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

They weren't working on road maintenance at the time...

how many of the victims were inside the truck wearing seat belts and how many were sitting in the rear bed?

What I see daily, people riding in the backs of pickups, sometimes as many as 15, has me thinking this will eventually be a disaster, especially with the lack of skills drivers have here. Also, the small buses where as many as 20 kids are riding on the top!! This does not happen back home in the states. You're seen with children under 18 like this, you get pulled over and ticketed.

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

no, it does not. If anything it shows the driver lost control when the tire popped. Most likely driving too fast. If he was driving slow then he could have pulled off to the side of the road easily without killing anyone. 

Alas most Thai truck drivers only know 1 speed------ flat out

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

Safety checks may have discovered the tires were inflated to double the correct pressure?  In which case this accident was not uncontrollable.

You beat me to it.... I see this occurring all the time at local service/fuel station. 

1 minute ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I have also seen Thais at service stations over-inflating their vehicle tyres.   Normal setting around 40psi  but they put in 75-80psi so they can carry more load. 

They put more air in at the start of the day (cooler) then you get a hot day the pressure increases..... Bang blow out occurs. 

Crazy people. 

I checked my tyre pressure after having a new tyre fitted once and it blew my gauge apart!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2