American tourist and Thai girlfriend drown in Phuket

snoop1130

Mao Khao beach is not a good place to swim. I lived in that area for many years, walked along that beach thousands of times, but would only ever sit in the shallows.  The beach slopes down quickly in the water, definitely not a safe place to swim, (and also very quiet with little chance of calling out to others for help).

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

But he wasn't your brother. He went into the water ignoring the Red Flags, as did his 'girl' friend. If if if!

You guessing, or do you have CCTV?

Because nobody ever gets murdered in Phuket...  It would be bad for tourism.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Yeh, OK!

On 6/21/2024 at 6:38 PM, impulse said:

An interesting fact is that a Swedish girl was murdered at the same spot on Mai Khao beach about 12-15 years ago - I was a police volunteer at the time and attended the scene.  A local man was arrested for the murder.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, simon43 said:

An interesting fact is that a Swedish girl was murdered at the same spot on Mai Khao beach about 12-15 years ago - I was a police volunteer at the time and attended the scene.  A local man was arrested for the murder.

Honest to gosh, I don't claim it was murder.  I don't know.  I just think it should be investigated before calling the guy stupid for swimming under a red flag warning.  Especially since they found bruises on him. Maybe he wasn't swimming.

I've had the crap beat out of me, body surfing and boogie boarding hundreds of times.  I have never had bruises if it was a sandy beach.

Edit:  And I'd add that the investigation would be more credible if it was done by an entity that wasn't under pressure to protect tourism.

Edited by impulse
  • Sad 1

On 6/20/2024 at 3:29 PM, Tropicalevo said:

What with the Russian drowning on Sunday

In related news, a Russian man drowned on Sunday, June 16 after swimming in the sea at Surin Beach in Phuket

and a few close encounters yesterday, people in Phuket need to take care.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1330227-tourists’-phuket-beach-fun-turns-into-life-or-death-drama/

Russians count?

These stories never make sense. Nobody saw them? And the other story the guy was mysteriously swept out to sea? And then what? People just watched? They didn’t call someone with a boat or go out to get the guy themselves? This isn’t spelunking, for a good swimmer there is absolutely zero problem to swim out to someone who is in need of help. 

Makes zero sense. 

So let me get this straight, and forgive me for discussing the previous drowning… the guy was saving his kid and wife or something, the rescuers got to the wife and child. Ok good job. And I assume in the hectic nature of it all the man then disappeared and they could not find him? I’m sorry but seems to me that it would be quite literally easy as pie to save someone unless they got completely distracted by the wife and child and the man perished in the meantime. Which I suppose is what must have happened. 

On 6/21/2024 at 6:38 PM, impulse said:

Right. These stories do not add up. And granted I’m reading a thai story where you get zero facts, but still these stories just don’t add up. People drowning in the middle of crowded beaches with tons of people around?? No footage of the event even though every goddam person on earth wants a viral Tik tok so bad? Makes zero sense these stories I tell you

On 6/21/2024 at 6:26 PM, impulse said:

So, zero chance he was murdered and tossed in the water? (not to put too fine a point on it)

If he was my brother, I'd want to know.  Before complete strangers call him stupid.  As if they know.

Seriously, if you wanna off someone in phuket, it’s as simple as doing the deed and then just tossing them in the water. And the police come along and say “rip current” and take some pictures of some red flags and mystery solved 

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

So let me get this straight, and forgive me for discussing the previous drowning… the guy was saving his kid and wife or something, the rescuers got to the wife and child. Ok good job. And I assume in the hectic nature of it all the man then disappeared and they could not find him? I’m sorry but seems to me that it would be quite literally easy as pie to save someone unless they got completely distracted by the wife and child and the man perished in the meantime. Which I suppose is what must have happened. 

In 2 meter waves it's difficult to spot a head bobbing out of the water.