What's your favourite beer for the home?

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I buy cans and drink out of a wine glass, makes it taste better, lately i keep going back to Tapper 6.5% leaves you a little fuzzy after one or two.

I need to buy another case of something

I usually have Tapper in, great when watching TV.

I also  like that Carabao Dunkel that has come out, being a dark malt beer not so gassy as the average, goes down a bit too easy. Made by Tawangdang.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

f only the younger Thais were allowed to express themselves, be inventive, be creative, be industrious, and use their smarts and ambition, Thailand could have a future. Craft beer is needed here, and so are the young entrepreneurs. But, that future appears to be suppressed at every turn by dinosaurs, who only answer to money, money, and even more money. Money is the God of lesser men. The money first attitude is holding back Thailand on so many levels.

That is why some 'Thai' craft beer breweries are just over the border in Laos.

22 hours ago, StraightTalk said:

Try Asahi and/or Sapporo. Beer Lao Dark and Gold/Lager are a very good brews as well.

A man after my own heart, love all these, especially Asahi and Beer Lao dark!

I have a sentimental reason for drinking San Miguel. Back in 1974/75 I had a bar cafeteria in Benidorm and I stocked up with San Miguel at 4 pesetas a bottle and it was a half decent beer. I buy San Miguel Lite from Makro now and it's still a half decent beer.

If you like IPA beer Beerlao IPA is good, as is Snowy IPA, bo in the New England style.  I finally found a Tawendeng IPA but I've not tried it yet. I also picked up Nitehunter IPA in Tops. It' a new name for me but again I have yet to get around to it.

I had a bottle of Kristoffer Blonde which was nice and reasonably priced in Tops.

Also picked up a Weihenstephaner Vitus, Leffe Brun and St. Bernadus Abt. 12, all excellent.

Still got a number of purchased beers to try in the fridge. 

On 6/20/2024 at 5:58 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I buy cans and drink out of a wine glass, makes it taste better, lately i keep going back to Tapper 6.5% leaves you a little fuzzy after one or two.

I need to buy another case of something

If you like IPA try Snowy IPA in 7/11. It's a good effort and resonably priced. 

On 6/20/2024 at 6:05 PM, KhunLA said:

Kind of quit, not officially, but can't remember last time I had a beer.   Was in Tops today, and if they had cold Beer Lao Dark, I might of picked up 2, as wife hanging out at sis's tonight.

Quite liked Kopper Craft, but no longer available, and lost my taste for Snowy, as was runner up to cheap suds.

The Snowy Weizen you mean. Try the IPA.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2024 at 7:10 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Nite Hunter IPA (6.8%) Thai beer.

Orion The Dark (Okinawa).

M32 IPA Thai beer

Carabao Dunkel

Tawandang IPA

All in Tops

And a few more.

Fed up after 24 years of lager.

What's the Nitehunter IPA like? Not seen the M32 yet.

23 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Now we are talking. Weihenstephaner is really good, but soon close to 200 bath a bottle. However, worth every sip and baht.

Erdinger Weissbier and Paulaner are also good, and actually quite common in Lotus´s and Tops of what I have seen.

Agreed.  Talking of Paulaner, the Paulaner Hefe Weissbier Alkoholfrei is by my lights the best alcohol free beer you can get here. Curiously though it's priced similar to full-alcohol versions.

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

As far as I know different kinds of beer are more or less sensitive to heat. And some can be stored for (I think) years, others not. It's not all the same.

They're sensitive to changes in heat and excessive light. Well made beers more often than not come in brown bottles to block sunlight and UV. Belgian beers tend last well after their drink by date. 

Some imported beers might not travel well but I've not encountered that yet.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Got Brewdog Punk IPA and and Black heart on the taps at the moment... they are going ok.

I looked at the Brewdog in Tops but at 200b+  a can I think I shall keep looking at it.

20 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Is that even a beer?

I looked at it and it's like they weren't allowed to call it beer on the can. Alcoholic malt based beverage or something. 

What's actually in it that they cannot legally call it beer? 

Now I know why they can't call it a beer on the can.

It's a girl's sweet fruit punch that they made cloudy. Avoid at all costs. 

4 hours ago, delgarcon said:

I have a sentimental reason for drinking San Miguel. Back in 1974/75 I had a bar cafeteria in Benidorm and I stocked up with San Miguel at 4 pesetas a bottle and it was a half decent beer. I buy San Miguel Lite from Makro now and it's still a half decent beer.

I think  the San Miguel sold here is the Philippines version. It's not bad.

17 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Now I know why they can't call it a beer on the can.

It's a girl's sweet fruit punch that they made cloudy. Avoid at all costs. 

It's aimed at the Full Moon Party and Songkran crowd.  Much better out there.

2 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

Agreed.  Talking of Paulaner, the Paulaner Hefe Weissbier Alkoholfrei is by my lights the best alcohol free beer you can get here. Curiously though it's priced similar to full-alcohol versions.

Yeah, you are very right. It´s not a bad version at all. You know, the price, % or no %, they just want to keep the level of quality, and if drop price, it might be questionable.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ross163103 said:
  On 6/20/2024 at 6:15 PM, StraightTalk said:

Try Asahi and/or Sapporo. Beer Lao Dark and Gold/Lager are a very good brews as well.

The problem I find with Bere Lao Dar ,is that you can taste the molasses ,that makes the beer dark, the other Beer Lao I find too sweet ,and I thought Lao beer was made by Calisburg, under licence

But ,now I do like Carabao  Dunkel,the IPA you can get is not bad.

I know this is about beer for our Thai homes but........

Just went to Portland Oregon which has a killer Craft beer scene

My goodness they had a beer from Epic Brewery called Big Bad Baptist

It was an incredibly delicious Stout ! There were others but that one really took the cake.

Close 2nd would be Fort George Brewery MATRYOSHKA 2024 

Edited by mania

9 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

Some imported beers might not travel well but I've not encountered that yet.

I remember a small bar in Pattaya with the name Kölsch. I asked the owner for a Kölsch beer, and he told me he tried, but it does not travel well. So no Kölsch in Pattaya or anywhere else in Thailand - as far as I know.

gp-1-dornbusch-koelsch-2021.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

I think  the San Miguel sold here is the Philippines version. It's not bad.

The last pack I bought were brewed  in Pathumthani, Thailand. Glad you mentioned it, I'm on my last couple of cans.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/20/2024 at 5:58 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I buy cans and drink out of a wine glass, makes it taste better,

Smart man; it can enhance your enjoyment. I'm not sure where Tapper would stand with these beers.  They have different shaped glasses for a reason. 

image.jpeg.9a56cb2cec58fbc59176ea1f9da16d65.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, kickstart said:

The problem I find with Bere Lao Dar ,is that you can taste the molasses ,that makes the beer dark, the other Beer Lao I find too sweet ,and I thought Lao beer was made by Calisburg, under licence

I think it's Malted Barley that gives it the flavour and colouring. According to the beer profile it contains 0.0% sugar and therefore cannot contain molasses as that's about 75% sugar.  I haven't tried the Carabao  IPA yet which is produced under the Tawendang brand.

Edited by Baht Simpson

On 6/21/2024 at 10:39 PM, kickstart said:

How does Dunkel compare to Beer Lao Dark?