74-Year-Old Pattaya Farmer, Loses More Than 3.2 Million Baht to Phone Scam

snoop1130

4357822.jpg

A Thai farmer, aged 74, has been fraudulently stripped of his entire life savings, amounting to 3.2 million baht, in a call center scam. The victim, Thongchai Boonko, lodged a complaint at the Nongprue Police Station in Chonburi province on June 20th. He received a fraudulent call from a person posing as a government officer.

The deceit unfolded on June 12th, 2024, when the scammer claimed to be an officer from the Department of Special Investigation (DSI). They falsely implicated Thongchai in money laundering and demanded he move his money for an inspection. The scammer threatened him on the Line application using a fake police officer image, pressuring him to comply or risk having his account frozen.

Feeling apprehensive and trapped, Thongchai withdrew his entire life savings of 3.2 million baht and deposited it into the scammer's given account. Once he realized he'd fallen prey to deception, Thongchai sought help from his family and reported the incident to the police. During this, the scammer brazenly tried to contact him again, asking for the remaining money in his account.

A distraught Thongchai lamented the loss, saying the scammed money was the product of his life's toil as a farmer. The police, as per recent reports, are examining the case.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-21

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 8
  • Love It 1

It's sad.  But by now even the most ignorant of the ignorant should understand never to trust what comes from a cold-call.  But?  The most ignorant of the ignorant still are ripe targets for scams.  One thought though.  The scammers seems to know what's in the farmers account. Oh well.  As PT Barnum said, "There is a sucker in every crowd."

• Sad 4
  • Agree 1

Telemarketers!  Some people need to learn to hang up the phone.

A fool and their money are soon departed.

Wonder where this boiler room is located.

• Sad 3

17 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I disagree.

The scammers are banking on the Thai's ingrained fear of authority.

Brainwashed at school and over all of the years.

They do not have our world wide experience.

This is why I think that forcing older folk to use phones and apps is a bad thing.

Thais are the most scammed people in SE Asia.

Rarely youngsters. Usually older Thais.

Most scammers seem to be pretending to be government officials, police, military etc.

Exactly right. Fear of authority is ingrained into Asian culture. The same could happen, probably does, in many countries in the region. I guess it also happens in other countries too, where uniforms hold a prominent position in society. That covers Russia and other Eastern European countries, and probably much of South America. Doesn't leave much of the world left, does it 🥹

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, in all of Europe he would be seen as poor. If you do not consider 3,2M baht in savings after working all his life is amazing. It equals to about 80 000 euro, that he basically must live on when not strong enough for working without any pension or retirement fund.

And pay for next years crop and harvest, machine maintenance etc.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

This is starting to be ridiculous. This is a well known scam by now. Why in the world do not all authorities go together and run info and warnings about it in commercial breaks in Thai series and prime time TV. How else will it be possible to educate farmer families. Also give information to head of every village and make them take it up as a reminder on every village meeting.

Some + numbers are already blocked by Thai authorities +697 is one, I got one just a few days ago it rang for just 15 seconds then stopped. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Some + numbers are already blocked by Thai authorities +697 is one, I got one just a few days ago it rang for just 15 seconds then stopped. 

Ok, maybe they do some things in the background, but that is not the point. The point is that they must make real efforts and inform gullible people about that the authorities do not work that way, and if they do, then it´s corruption, and they should never transfer. If they are suspected of anything, the police can lock access to their accounts by contacting the banks with a warrant for it. 

That´s the information that must be sent to the broader mass of Thai citizens.

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, maybe they do some things in the background, but that is not the point. The point is that they must make real efforts and inform gullible people about that the authorities do not work that way, and if they do, then it´s corruption, and they should never transfer. If they are suspected of anything, the police can lock access to their accounts by contacting the banks with a warrant for it. 

So according to your thinking they first have to identify the gullible people, how do you suggest that information is sent to the broader mass, the banks warn people, it's already reported on TV so your suggestions ?

18 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

This is starting to be ridiculous. This is a well known scam by now. Why in the world do not all authorities go together and run info and warnings about it in commercial breaks in Thai series and prime time TV. How else will it be possible to educate farmer families. Also give information to head of every village and make them take it up as a reminder on every village meeting.

If you open any Social Media channel and look at amount of SCAMS that are published every day, most "Supported" by the Social Media provider itself, than it is more than ridiculous.
How can any Goverment let this grow to such proportions without acting?
Should the Governments not be there to protect it's citizens?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, in all of Europe he would be seen as poor. If you do not consider 3,2M baht in savings after working all his life is amazing. It equals to about 80 000 euro, that he basically must live on when not strong enough for working without any pension or retirement fund.

Compared to Europe, he maybe seems a poor guy.
But not compared to most Thais.
I was chatting with a woman, living in Bangkok and working for a Robinsin story.
She will retire next year and her calculated retirement will be 3,000 baht/month.
Good luck to live your retired days on that pension.

30 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Good luck with that.

The whole country is built on corruption and the authorities do work in that way, i.e. demanding bribes to make charges go away, hence gullible people will continue to send money. 

Also, how many of these alleged 'victims' are completely innocent? Maybe they have skeletons in the closet or are actually guilty of something, which possibly goes to explain why they send the money in the first place instead of going straight to the authorities. 🤔

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Good luck with that.

The whole country is built on corruption and the authorities do work in that way, i.e. demanding bribes to make charges go away, hence gullible people will continue to send money. 

Also, how many of these alleged 'victims' are completely innocent? Maybe they have skeletons in the closet or are actually guilty of something, which possibly goes to explain why they send the money in the first place instead of going straight to the authorities. 🤔

I don´t think you understand this scam and how it works. There is no one demanding bribes for something to go away. They are asked to move their money to another account said to be for official business, during an investigation.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

If you open any Social Media channel and look at amount of SCAMS that are published every day, most "Supported" by the Social Media provider itself, than it is more than ridiculous.
How can any Goverment let this grow to such proportions without acting?
Should the Governments not be there to protect it's citizens?

Yes, they should, and it´s time they start working on that. 

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

Compared to Europe, he maybe seems a poor guy.
But not compared to most Thais.
I was chatting with a woman, living in Bangkok and working for a Robinsin story.
She will retire next year and her calculated retirement will be 3,000 baht/month.
Good luck to live your retired days on that pension.

Yeah, I know. My post was just an answer to a stupid and arrogant comment 😉 

It´s a horrible system for old Thai citizens that have not worked in the government sector. Actually, not even they get a decent pension, but a livable one.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

So according to your thinking they first have to identify the gullible people, how do you suggest that information is sent to the broader mass, the banks warn people, it's already reported on TV so your suggestions ?

Why would they have to identify anyone? Why you make it so complicated. One good and easy way would just be that every head of village gets the information and what to discuss as well as inform of. Then they take up the same thing on the 3 next village meetings. As well as speak about it and the dangers in the speakers that they usually talk in once a week in the villages.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, UKJASE said:

the banks need to help vulnerable people more......

this guy has his life savings sitting there, probably for a long time, and he is 74.  the bank knows both of these things.  he then suddenly wants to move the entire amount to another bank account, in a different name.  surely an algorithm could flag up that this was potentially a scam, and the bank manager could put the transfer on hold until it was double checked.

it is in the banks interest too to protect its customers

If I want to pull any amount of money via phone/qcode/etc., I get immediatly a notice on my phone and I need to agree with that notice.
If I want to pull money on any ATM, I am limited to 26,000 Baht/day. If I want more, I need to go to the Bank and explain why I need so much money.
If I want to transfer high amouts of money (like 800,000 baht) I need to spend several hours at the bank, filling all kind of formulars and wait 1 or 2 weeks before the transfer is done.

How can this guy transfer +3 millions of baht between bank accounts instantly?
Assuming that the transfer would be between Thai banks.
If the transfer involves a foreign bank, transferring that amount would require 1 or 2 weeks.

Something looks like this guy is pulling a leg....

• Confused 2

41 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

If I want to pull any amount of money via phone/qcode/etc., I get immediatly a notice on my phone and I need to agree with that notice.
If I want to pull money on any ATM, I am limited to 26,000 Baht/day. If I want more, I need to go to the Bank and explain why I need so much money.
If I want to transfer high amouts of money (like 800,000 baht) I need to spend several hours at the bank, filling all kind of formulars and wait 1 or 2 weeks before the transfer is done.

Assuming that the transfer would be between Thai banks.
If the transfer involves a foreign bank, transferring that amount would require 1 or 2 weeks.

Something looks like this guy is pulling a leg....

"If I want to pull any amount of money via phone/qcode/etc., I get immediatly a notice on my phone and I need to agree with that notice".

That wouldn't have affected the transactions in the OP, even if he was using a phone app as he would have been doing the transfer himself and (thought he) knew what he was doing.

"If I want more, I need to go to the Bank and explain why I need so much money".

Really?  Which Thai bank is it that demands that you explain why you need more than B26k before allowing the withdrawal?

"If I want to transfer high amouts of money (like 800,000 baht) I need to spend several hours at the bank, filling all kind of formulars and wait 1 or 2 weeks before the transfer is done".

Really?  Which Thai bank has that "multi-hour procedure" and delays the domestic transfer between Thai banks for two weeks?

"How can this guy transfer +3 millions of baht between bank accounts instantly?"

Where was it reported that he "transferred B3m instantly"?   The OP states that he withdrew the cash and deposited it in the fraudster's account, it does not state that the transactions were transfers online or through an app.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"If I want to pull any amount of money via phone/qcode/etc., I get immediatly a notice on my phone and I need to agree with that notice".

That wouldn't have affected the transactions in the OP, even if he was using a phone app as he would have been doing the transfer himself and (thought he) knew what he was doing.

"If I want more, I need to go to the Bank and explain why I need so much money".

Really?  Which Thai bank is it that demands that you explain why you need more than B26k before allowing the withdrawal?

"If I want to transfer high amouts of money (like 800,000 baht) I need to spend several hours at the bank, filling all kind of formulars and wait 1 or 2 weeks before the transfer is done".

Really?  Which Thai bank has that "multi-hour procedure" and delays the domestic transfer between Thai banks for two weeks?

"How can this guy transfer +3 millions of baht between bank accounts instantly?"

Where was it reported that he "transferred B3m instantly"?   The OP states that he withdrew the cash and deposited it in the fraudster's account, it does not state that the transactions were transfers online or through an app.

You go tomorrow to your Thai bank (assuming that you have anything in a thai bank) and tell the people at the counter that you want to withdraw a few million baht in cash.
And please, tell us all where and when so that we can have a good laugh with you.
Every Thai (and many foreign banks) bank requires that if you want to withdraw that amount of money, you have to ask it a few days on forehand.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Confuscious said:
6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

You go tomorrow to your Thai bank (assuming that you have anything in a thai bank) and tell the people at the counter that you want to withdraw a few million baht in cash.
And please, tell us all where and when so that we can have a good laugh with you.
Every Thai (and many foreign banks) bank requires that if you want to withdraw that amount of money, you have to ask it a few days on forehand.

I don't dispute that, what I disputed was your claim that to withdraw more than B26,000 you need to go to the bank and explain why you need that much ("I am limited to 26,000 Baht/day. If I want more, I need to go to the Bank and explain why I need so much money").  You do not.

"go tomorrow to your Thai bank and tell the people at the counter that you want to withdraw a few million baht in cash ... Every Thai (and many foreign banks) bank requires that if you want to withdraw that amount of money"

Nonsense.  As this thread  relates to only B3m in withdrawals, I'm assuming that, by "a few million baht", you mean around three million.  No banks' branches would have any difficulty in accommodating a withdrawal of just B3m without notice.  There are no restrictions, neither are explanations required for withdrawing one's own money.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I don't dispute that, what I disputed was your claim that to withdraw more than B26,000 you need to go to the bank and explain why you need that much ("I am limited to 26,000 Baht/day. If I want more, I need to go to the Bank and explain why I need so much money").  You do not.

"go tomorrow to your Thai bank and tell the people at the counter that you want to withdraw a few million baht in cash ... Every Thai (and many foreign banks) bank requires that if you want to withdraw that amount of money"

Nonsense.  As this thread  relates to only B3m in withdrawals, I'm assuming that, by "a few million baht", you mean around three million.  No banks' branches would have any difficulty in accommodating a withdrawal of just B3m without notice.  There are no restrictions, neither are explanations required for withdrawing one's own money.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Hint/HintBiz/BIZ- Funds Transfer#:~:text=- The maximum transaction amount is,processed on business day only.

SMART – Credit Same Day method:
- Transaction will be processed on business day only.
- The maximum transaction amount is 2,000,000.00 Baht.
- The approved transaction is submitted to the Bank before 9.00 a.m. on the transfer date.

SMART – Credit Next Day method:
- Transaction will be processed on business day only.
- The maximum transaction amount is 2,000,000.00 Baht.
- The approved transaction is submitted to the Bank before 9.00 a.m. one business day prior to the transfer date.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/-/media/files/personal/other-services/payments-and-top-up-services/aml_en.pdf

New Anti-Money Laundering Ministerial Regulations From 25 August 2011, all commercial banks are required by the Ministerial Regulations issued by virtue of the Anti-Money Laundering Act to identify and verify, and maintain copies of, the identities of customers, and to report certain types of transactions as required by law. In some cases, banks will be required to request additional information from the person conducting the transaction, including the identity of the beneficiary. Examples of common transactions where additional information may be required are as follows: A transfer conducted at a branch counter where a walk-in customer sends cash to an account at another bank, and the amount is 50,000 Baht or more for ORFT or BAHTNET (see the table below for more information), the bank is required to verify the customer’s identification for each transaction by requesting a copy of the customer’s ID or passport. If the amount is 100,000 Baht or more, the beneficiary’s ID number will also be required. Please note that if the customer refuses to provide the requested information, the bank will be unable to proceed with the transaction for the customer.

• Like 1